Lore Question - Monkey King

So I was reading some of the lore stuff recently (just got back into the game) and I ran across something I find...odd.

Per these pages:

http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Monkey_King
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Emperor_Shaohao

What I find odd is that these pages claim the Monkey King was a companion of Shaohao on his quest 10,000 years ago, while also claiming he was petrified in jade 12,000 and only unfrozen recently.

Is the info on those pages wrong or is this just an oversight on Blizz's side?

No where in either of those articles does it say 12,000 years ago.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I'm not sure why you even bothered to post, clearly since you aren't capable of reading the articles and also checking the articles they reference you had no intention of answering the question posed by this thread. Let me baby feed it to you.

Sometime during the Pandaren revolution, the Monkey King was locked in a duel with the Jade Warlord in the Tomb of Conquerors. During this duel, somehow both of them became petrified in jade.[6]
    If you click the bold part on the Monkey King article, it takes you to the article regarding the Pandaren revolution, which, the article states happened 12,000 years ago. Thus, my question.

Then you should have posted that article because anyone who read the two OP articles would be confuse.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone filling in the page on WoWpedia messed up, not Blizzard.

No where in the actual quest does it state that the monkey king was fighting the Jade Warlord during the Pandaren revolution; merely that the monkey king was fighting against a mogu that scrapped together a bunch of soldiers.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-01-06 at 05:25 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Thanks, Kaleredar.

Any suggestions on other sites that are good sources of WoW lore?

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting, someone should go and edit Wowpedia then.

Maybe the "10.000 years ago" isn't an accurate number. It might have been 12.000~ years ago, before being petrified, the 2000 years wouldn't really matter for most of Pandaria races, since they don't live more than a hundred years anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya prbly been petrified in Jade for 10,000, maybe assisted Emperor Shaohao 12,00 years ago.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Deleted
    Shaohao lived at the time of the Sundering, so 10,000 years ago, not 12,000.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuthumii View Post
    Thanks, Kaleredar.

Any suggestions on other sites that are good sources of WoW lore?
    WoWpedia is accurate enough... the person writing the article simply assumed incorrectly.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes the person that wrote the wowpedia page. made a mistake. as the moment you read "the jade warlord scraped a bunch of soldiers together" then you know it was after the rebellion and a few small years after the sundering.

No Tusk Club.

Given that the character in question is called "The Monkey King", isn't it reasonable to assume that he, like the Chinese folklore character he's based on, is immortal? I think it is, and given that he's not (IMO, intended to be) a major lore figure for the game (Essentially being an existing myth character transplanted into WoW) I would imagine blizz felt no real need to go in depth on his background. For that, you have the real monkey king to read about. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_King )
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    Given that the character in question is called "The Monkey King", isn't it reasonable to assume that he, like the Chinese folklore character he's based on, is immortal? I think it is, and given that he's not (IMO, intended to be) a major lore figure for the game (Essentially being an existing myth character transplanted into WoW) I would imagine blizz felt no real need to go in depth on his background. For that, you have the real monkey king to read about. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_King )
    First off someone already point out that WoWepida was incorrect.
    The problem is if Monkey king is "frozen" in jade 12000 years ago, he can't help Shaohao 10000 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exorte View Post
    First off someone already point out that WoWepida was incorrect.
    The problem is if Monkey king is "frozen" in jade 12000 years ago, he can't help Shaohao 10000 years ago.
    He wasn't frozen in jade 12,000 years ago; it was never specified when he was frozen in jade. The person that wrote the Wowpedia article initially thought that he was frozen in jade during the Pandaren revolution, which happened 12,000 years ago... nothing says the monkey king was alive at that time. All we know is that the monkey king was alive during the great sundering, which occured 10,000 years ago.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.