Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What is your Idea for The Ideal Government

As the title suggests

What is the best government. Make it up, use a pre existing one.

please give details

Example "The Leviathan"

Absolute to the max monarchy
    one person rules all, he/she choses who comes after them. Life long unless stated otherwise terms. Total control of economy, military, social institution. People have no rights, the government decides all. T.V's will monitor everyone. Victory brand gin for everyone. Tax rate is enough to allow all to live comfortablyish. Also MANATORY MILITARY SERVICE FOR 10 YEARS ONCE YOU HIT 15
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2013-01-07 at 02:41 AM.

Deleted
    This is such a perfect moment to come up with something hilarious and quirky and I can't come up with anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    This is such a perfect moment to come up with something hilarious and quirky and I can't come up with anything.
    something hilarious?

like you ruling the world? ZIIIINNNNGGGGG

lol im kiddin buddy

Deleted
    Robert A Heinleins starship troopers vision, want to say in how the country is run? Better be prepared to spend a few years serving it so you know what you are voting for.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Robert A Heinleins starship troopers vision, want to say in how the country is run? Better be prepared to spend a few years serving it so you know what you are voting for.
    so by fighting in other lands, against other people, you'll get to know your own people and land?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    As the title suggests

What is the best government. Make it up, use a pre existing one.

please give details

A government that protects the reproductive rights of women.

A government that protects and enshrines the right of homosexuals to marry.

A government that provides robust investment in infrastructure.

A government that sets a simple, but very highly progressive system of taxation.

A government that provides health care to all its citizens.

A government that provides higher education tuition free.

A government that is democratic while also protecting the rights of minorities.

A government that preserves the environment by keeping the water and air clean.

A government that subsidizes renewable sources of energy.

A government that ensures adequate funding for scientific research, including stem cells.

A government that provides substantial aid to those affected by natural disasters.

A government that sets a minimum, but living wage.

A government that provides support for the jobless, homeless, hungry, and mentally ill.

A government that significantly limits the sale and distribution of firearms to the general public.

A government that provides exceptional compensation for teachers of all grade levels.

A government that focuses on reducing income inequality while still protecting individual freedoms.

A government that is secular and that doesn't put religion above scientific evidence.
    Last edited by Ult92; 2013-01-07 at 02:51 AM.

I like what i have now. Seems to be working pretty well. Even though those i voted for aren't in power. Don't fix what ain't broken.

There is no point in discussing it because there it will never happen, and there is no answer or idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobywongg View Post
    There is no point in discussing it because there it will never happen, and there is no answer or idea.
    christ man its just a discussion bro to get peoples opinions make a few jokes etc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    so by fighting in other lands, against other people, you'll get to know your own people and land?
    Read the book, very few (the elite) actually served in the military. There are more ways to serve your country than going to war, firefighter or paramedic, maybe even a low level Government clerk for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    No government made by humans will last forever or never go evil.

So what i want is no government, informed well educated people with nothing over one another is best.

Machines make everything there is no mandatory work, and people enjoy abundance.

What we have now in the world is greed love of money and power over the ppl without money.

Look at africa, what the modern world is doing there is exploiting it for everything it has its land its wealth its people.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 03:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nvideon92 View Post
    A government that protects the reproductive rights of women.

A government that protects and enshrines the right of homosexuals to marry.

A government that provides robust investment in infrastructure.

A government that sets a simple, but very highly progressive system of taxation.

A government that provides health care to all its citizens.

A government that provides higher education tuition free.

A government that is democratic while also protecting the rights of minorities.

A government that preserves the environment by keeping the water and air clean.

A government that subsidizes renewable sources of energy.

A government that ensures adequate funding for scientific research, including stem cells.

A government that provides substantial aid to those affected by natural disasters.

A government that sets a minimum, but living wage.

A government that provides support for the jobless, homeless, hungry, and mentally ill.

A government that significantly limits the sale and distribution of firearms to the general public.

A government that provides exceptional compensation for teachers of all grade levels.

A government that focuses on reducing income inequality while still protecting individual freedoms.

A government that is secular and that doesn't put religion above scientific evidence.
    You seem very biased.

The government you have is already secular and prefers evidence unless its to go to war.

And Why would you have homeless people ? the homeless dont just go hey today ive decided to be homeless.
    The government failed to protect their rights from the banksters.

The one that says "Gotcha back Jack".

10+ Year Old Account
    A benevolent dictatorship with a wise dictator who knows all the right answers.

But such a government would require the existence of a perfect and omniscient person.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Monarchies are just so hit and miss. There are very few throughout history that I would have ever wanted to live under.

I think the right balance is in between democracy and monarchy. I think 8 or 9 elected officials for terms of say 8-10 years. Similar to supreme court only no lifetime designations and appointed by the people.

My brain hurts already.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Communism by definition, one that was never put in use fully.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    No government made by humans will last forever or never go evil.

So what i want is no government, informed well educated people with nothing over one another is best.

Machines make everything there is no mandatory work, and people enjoy abundance.

What we have now in the world is greed love of money and power over the ppl without money.

Look at africa, what the modern world is doing there is exploiting it for everything it has its land its wealth its people.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 03:01 AM ----------

You seem very biased.

The government you have is already secular and prefers evidence unless its to go to war.

And Why would you have homeless people ? the homeless dont just go hey today ive decided to be homeless.
    The government failed to protect their rights from the banksters.
    Wait, what? I seem biased? I thought this was a place to discuss opinion. I'm not doing some sort of scientific research here where I have to maintain objectivity.

Also, I'm not sure why you say "the government you have is already this/that." I'm not talking about my government, I'm talking about the ideal government. Maybe mine is already secular, maybe it isn't. The ideal one should still be secular.
    Last edited by Ult92; 2013-01-07 at 03:42 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Benevolant absolute dictatorship or Oligarchy (with myself having high status of course ).
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't read the book?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Honestly it could be a variety of things but the main thing is getting people that aren't corrupt and follow strict ethical beliefs. Which is pretty damn hard to do considering how our world works and the fact that we all have human desires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Service guarantees citizenship, I like it.

While this isn't my ideal government to live under, here's my nationstates page to give you an idea of what happens when I have complete control over a country.
    http://www.nationstates.net/nation=kalyyn

An excerpt from my factbook:
    10/13/2012 ~ A look at life in the Empire
    One of the most remarkable things about the nation of Kalyyn is the complete lack of traditional economic classes (lower, middle, and upper). Instead, time has gradually shifted Kalyyn's economic structure to reflect it's status as one of the most militarized nations on Earth. Kalyyn's wealthy elite are composed of business owners and generals. These individuals live some of the most opulent lifestyles mankind has ever seen, and spend much of their time abroad spending this wealth. (It should be noted that Kalyyn produces almost any piece of military technology imaginable, but little else. Therefore, luxury items are typically purchased outside her borders or from one of her regional territories.)
    Below the elite are the merchants. Still maintaining comfortable and often lavish lifestyles, this is the only "class" that contains more women than men. These are private sector workers. Almost without exception, these citizens hold jobs that in some way support Kalyyn's massive military. While they pay a small percentage of their income to the government every year to maintain Kalyyn's forces, the government splits any spoils of war among the citizens so that most years the taxpayers actually receive more money than they pay.

The next social/financial class are the soldiers. Kalyyn's military numbers at over two billion personnel, making this by far the largest class. Soldiers pay no taxes, and receive all of their living necessities from the government at no expense. Rather than a fixed pay, soldiers receive a higher percentage of spoils of war than non-military citizens, based upon their role and rank. This is done so as to provide personal incentive to each soldier to go forth and conquer in the Empire's name. Almost all men in the nation will at some point in their lives become a part of the armed forces.

The lowest financial/social class in Kalyyn are the un-assimilated. These are usually pacifists, or people of conquered nations who refuse to swear loyalty to the Empire and the God Emperor. Businesses typically will not hire these individuals, and as such their options are limited to starving to death or becoming criminals. Many will move to neighboring nations, only to find that their new homes are once again under Kalyyn's banner months later.
    It's not exactly the happiest place on Earth...