A Casual Predicament

So, I recently did a scroll and leveled up my old main (DK) to 90, however I'm pretty lost in the sauce as to where I might find my fun, or rhythm playing again. I can no longer dedicate hours everyday to dailies, rep-grinding, dungeon farming, profession leveling, and sitting in raids all night. To add to that, I don't even think I can enjoy my DK like I did in Wrath, with having practically no meaningful customization and only 3 real specs now (as opposed to tank/dps on all). My question is this: What do other casuals find fun in doing in MoP, or how do they manage time to "learn" heroics (I'm old school, so just tell me if people don't take the time to learn pulls these days), and in general making themselves useful and enjoying it?

I still like pally for healing, DK tanking is ok, but I've really just been throwing heirlooms on alts and doing some low level PvP and dungeons. What gives?!

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, someone who hates pvp, the only thing that keeps me interested is raiding. When I don't have time to raid or there isn't a raid going on, I level alts to try out the different classes.

After that, I'd say WoW doesn't have a lot to offer me. Both heroics and LFR have become a contest of who can pull the most without dying. Good luck trying to "learn" any of the fights. They are just zerg rushes to get gear.

Deleted
    A bit of everything.

Pet battles.
    Raids.
    Leveling.
    PvP while lvling.
    Twinking.
    Heroics.
    Scenarios.
    Lore ( both side even though i am more alliance's oriented ).

Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    A bit of everything.

Pet battles.
    Raids.
    Leveling.
    PvP while lvling.
    Twinking.
    Heroics.
    Scenarios.
    Lore ( both side even though i am more alliance's oriented ).
    Woah this is logical, no way they will agree with this.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

OP - nothing you mentioned takes hours to do. Pick one and do it. It's called "making a decision". That is a lot of what MoP is all about. Tons of things to do. Pick and choose whatever YOU want to do. It's really simple.

Thanks for the responses. I probably won't invest any time in pet battles. Some of the things are out of my control (Friend's scroll is alliance, I have historically played Horde and I'm actually quite jealous of the coming redemption post-Orgrimmar raid). The problem I have with heroics, raids, scenerios is the time invested vs reward gained. I'm fully aware of the reason to keep rewards challenging, but being a casual is almost kind of depressing because the time that I have nowadays is nowhere near enough to feel like I'm accomplishing something. I could possibly focus on PvP some, but ever since PvP gear was killed post-TBC I've lost much of the desire I had before to excel there.

Part of the problem is my friend's playing time, he's west coast and plays late nights PST, I'm east coast and I won't really play later than 10 pm EST during the week. Maybe I'm just looking for a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    OP - nothing you mentioned takes hours to do. Pick one and do it. It's called "making a decision". That is a lot of what MoP is all about. Tons of things to do. Pick and choose whatever YOU want to do. It's really simple.
    Thank you... There is a bit of truth to that, I could just throw myself into heroics as a minimum-geared tank with no knowledge of the fights and say F it... that's just hard for me to do considering all the learning and preparation I (we all) had to do in previoius expansion.
    Last edited by Absintheminded; 2013-01-07 at 05:11 PM.

is this a troll thread? im pretty sure it is

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    Im a current tier raider and im not exalted with anyone the only dailies i do are Domination point because i love the story and only do one faction at a time of dailies. Once i hit exalted with Domination point i will work on Shadow pan, its really easy and gives me coins still and i really go at my own pace and im still a current tier raider. This whole "Have to do all to be relevant" idea is dumb. I mean there was a guy saying he couldn't shower for 3 weeks since mop launch because his guild made him do all dailies and he didn't have time, so people will be drama queens. Don't Be a WoW Drama queen.
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alltheydoisdance View Post
    is this a troll thread? im pretty sure it is
    If you've successfully made a transition from hardcore raider to easy going casual with no bumps, bruises, heartaches, etc etc etc then this thread is an honest attempt at figuring out you managed to do it so easily. If you haven't had to make such a transition then move on, nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Thank you... There is a bit of truth to that, I could just throw myself into heroics as a minimum-geared tank with no knowledge of the fights and say F it... that's just hard for me to do considering all the learning and preparation I (we all) had to do in previoius expansion.
    You are being overly dramatic for no reason. You can easily go into a heroic as prepared as you were in TBC. Just do a little research with the tons of available tools, and you'll do just fine. And minimum-geared is just fine. You do not need to be over-geared to be successful (unless you are horrible at playing the game).

If you've successfully made a transition from hardcore raider to easy going casual with no bumps, bruises, heartaches, etc etc etc then this thread is an honest attempt at figuring out you managed to do it so easily. If you haven't had to make such a transition then move on, nothing to see here.
    Starting to feel more trolly.
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

MoP is not casual friendly enough that you can feel like you've completed everything you need to complete within a small amount of game time. You have to pick and choose what to do, and just do a bit at a time. Its not like the wotlk days when you could just log in, do a 20 minute heroic for a frost badge and feel accomplished. Now you have to login, do 500 dailies for 3 hours, do a heroic, do a scenario, and try to get that xxx/1000 valor count up as high as you can.

Personally I don't even cap valor weekly anymore, it was just taking 100% of the time I was willing to give to wow to make it happen so I said screw it and started actually enjoying myself. I find I get about 500-600 valor a week just doing whatever I feel like doing. Capping valor doesn't really fit for a casual player like it did in expansions past.

Thanks for the responses. I probably won't invest any time in pet battles. Some of the things are out of my control (Friend's scroll is alliance, I have historically played Horde and I'm actually quite jealous of the coming redemption post-Orgrimmar raid). The problem I have with heroics, raids, scenerios is the time invested vs reward gained. I'm fully aware of the reason to keep rewards challenging, but being a casual is almost kind of depressing because the time that I have nowadays is nowhere near enough to feel like I'm accomplishing something. I could possibly focus on PvP some, but ever since PvP gear was killed post-TBC I've lost much of the desire I had before to excel there.

Part of the problem is my friend's playing time, he's west coast and plays late nights PST, I'm east coast and I won't really play later than 10 pm EST during the week. Maybe I'm just looking for a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Basically, you gotta figure out what you want to do, and then try and do so exclusively. If you want to do the dailies/rep thing, don't sweat it if you're not capping VP. You might want to run LFR once in a while to spend coins.

If you want to do pet battles, then do pet battles. Raid? Dungeons? you get the gist.

Basically, most avenues of gameplay have escalating levels of difficulty. Like Dungeons have Challenge Modes, Raids have Heroic Modes, PVP has Rated PVP, etc. You start in the little league, you find some friends who are like-minded, and you grow into the big leagues. If you're playing casually, it'll take you a good chunk of time to clear all that content.

OP I am in your boat so I know where you are coming from. I was a 4 day a week raider in wotlk but then life hit me. I played very little during Cata but now during MOP I feel like I get a lot done every week. I play an hour or so every morning before work and maybe two hours a day on weekends. I tend to do one dungeon a day, a scenario, and one set of dailies. Heroics are more forgiving then ever so you can go in with very little knowledge and do fine. I even started this expansion with levelling a monk from scratch and so in 3 1/2 months I went from 1-90 with my monk, got geared enough to do all parts of LFR every week, have 5 reputations at exalted, and find something fun to do every day logging in. You will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by MrLog101 View Post
    although I don't think it should be catering to casuals.
    It's not like they are the source of most of WoW's revenue, after all.

Oh wait, they are!
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Thanks for the honest replies, and sure it does sound dramatic, but it really is a weird adjustment going from having the time to do everything you need to do each day to having maybe an hour logged each day and figuring out the most productive route to take. There's been enough feedback in the thread regarding heroics that I won't feel as pressured to have the fights down to a "T", I'll just take a gander at each boss to make sure I get the gist and go at it.