Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I really doubt it. You're forgetting the other half of the nation that didn't vote for him.
    No actually I'm not. And it won't matter anyway, that half of the nation has long since been culturally frittered away as racist, homophobic, anti-woman, whatever. They've already demonized and marginalized their opposition in the court of public opinion. There's nothing to keep their supporters from winnowing them out politically and socially. Especially when you have a mass media that treats the man like its own personal messiah.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    It being Obama in office, Mitt Romney or Satan himself shouldn't matter. If the majority of your country think someone is a good enough leader to lead for 12 years then they should.

Saying stuff like "more Obama no thanks" is incredibly short sighted. If a great republican leader was in office and was the best president the USA has ever seen... winning a vote of 90% of American on his second term, you are saying you wouldn't want him to be able to run for longer? 0o

Your whole democrat vs republican, democrats are communists that hate American, republicans are god fearing crazy people just makes your country weaker and both sides in presidential elections look like a group of school kids arguing to the rest of the world.
    First of all the US system is built with checks and balances to keep any one branch of government or one single person from accumulating too much power. Those term limits were put there for a reason, by mutual agreement of Republicans and Democrats after the Democrat FDR served 4 consecutive terms in office.

Also, we don't care what the rest of the world thinks. You think we do because the few Democrat comedians you watch on TV make it look that way, but honestly, we don't.

And also, after having living abroad for almost 5 years now, it's pretty crazy how much the foreign press gets wrong. A few weeks ago I saw a TV show here in Chile that was saying that Abraham Lincoln was a Democrat. So if they're getting so much wrong, it doesn't surprise me that "the rest of the world" has such a skewed view of the USA if they can't even get their facts straight.
    Last edited by RicardoZ; 2013-01-07 at 11:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The entirety of the Republican voter base hasn't been demonized. I'm interested in why you think that. If you're talking about the GOP, that's because they have far too many publicly visible idiots shooting their mouth off on topics that make the GOP look racist and misogynistic. If you're going to talk about the media, you're forgetting that the media at large was more favorable towards Romney than they were towards Obama: http://www.nationaljournal.com/2012-...ney-s-20120423

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Because it would shift the focus away from work and towards reelection. Second terms are typically the periods in office where presidents are free to really vocalize their ideals, to push for change and shake the pot. Look at Clinton, or Lincoln... their second terms were marked by no longer having to appeal to things such as special interest groups. It is, in fact, the same reason why I am for term limits for congressman, because ultimately a lack of term limits makes a politician always keep one eye on the horizen.
    This is an excellent set of reasons for a single term as president. Get in, do what needs doing in the 4 years you have and move on. Interestingly i think it also works for congress, but the counter argument is that voters have the final say in how long you serve. why we cap the president at 2 terms and limit voter choice should be prevented. What we really need is campaign financing reform.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all the US system is built with checks and balances to keep any one branch of government or one single person from accumulating too much power. Those term limits were put there for a reason, by mutual agreement of Republicans and Democrats after the Democrat FDR served 4 consecutive terms in office
    Just because it is put in place in the past doesn't mean it's correct.

Also, we don't care what the rest of the world thinks. You think we do because the few Democrat comedians you watch on TV make it look that way, but honestly, we don't.
    I don't watch comedians 0o It doesn't matter if you care or not that's how the rest of the world views your politics, just because you don't care, doesn't make it change.

And also, after having living abroad for almost 5 years now, it's pretty crazy how much the foreign press gets wrong. A few weeks ago I saw a TV show here in Chile that was saying that Abraham Lincoln was a Democrat. So if they're getting so much wrong, it doesn't surprise me that "the rest of the world" has such a skewed view of the USA if they can't even get their facts straight.
    Apparently, you magically know what news shows i watch 0o
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-01-08 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    or Bush jr.

Although a 3rd Eisenhower might not have turned out too badly, and if Vietnam hadnt crushed Johnsons political viability, he might have pretty good too.
    Uhhh LBJ? You cannot be serious...

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is a reason that after FDR served most of 4 terms that the 22nd Amendment was passed. Think about it.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a chance. If anything it should be reduced to 1 term.

Just look at what Harry Reid is doing in the Senate if you need reason for why this should be the case for Congress, Senate and Presidents. Serving the House and Senate should be an honor, not a career. If people voted for individuals on the merits of their position I'd be for it, but most people vote on pithy things often like skin color or political affiliation. People like Reid and Bahner (Sp?) who intentionally bench the other sides efforts to curry political favor need to go the way of the dodo.

Make the most of your time or return with nothing achieved would improve the climate and light a fire to work under those lazy pampered sots.
    Last edited by The Penguin; 2013-01-08 at 04:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah do it and rename President to Emperor. That would be fitting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our first President, George Washington said it best and in a way that is especially telling with how the Media seems to adore our current one.

I did not defeat George the III to become George the I.

I think I'd rather have a President instead of a new "King Hussein".

The only change we need to make in regard to term limits is to remove lifetime appointments to Supreme Court judges. At least Congressmen have to run for re-election...Supreme Court judges hold an enormous amount of power with zero accountability. It should be a flat rate term, and then they have to leave. Space them out so they're replacing one every couple of years, so no president is at an advantage or disadvantage in terms of appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukahn View Post
    Our first President, George Washington said it best and in a way that is especially telling with how the Media seems to adore our current one.

George Washington was literally referring to the prospect of becoming king. That wasn't hyperbole on his part. So no, it is telling of nothing.
    Last edited by Nekosom; 2013-01-08 at 04:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Amen.
    Supposedly they offered Washington the Throne, but he declined.

Now I can't stop thinking about how funny America would be with a royal family...

Then why didn't the framers throw in that 22nd amendment? Oh wait, because they wanted the option open and that was George Washingtons personal opinion.

I don't understand why so many people seem to think every single thing the Framers did was correct and perfect in every way. They allowed slavery. They didn't allow anyone what wasn't a monied white male to vote. Some of them were ok with forcing you to pay a tax if you didn't want to go to church every Sunday. The fact that people treat these fallible humans as near dieties is absolutely shocking to me. It is bordering on ancestor worship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekosom View Post
    The only change we need to make in regard to term limits is to remove lifetime appointments to Supreme Court judges. At least Congressmen have to run for re-election...Supreme Court judges hold an enormous amount of power with zero accountability. It should be a flat rate term, and then they have to leave. Space them out so they're replacing one every couple of years, so no president is at an advantage or disadvantage in terms of appointments.

I agree with you completely. Supreme Court Justices should be staggered. The quandry however is to ensure that neither political party tries to stagger their victories to steal control of that office. Our Government is a very fragile thing, but incredibly resilient. I think the one thing that makes the Supreme Court's different is that they lose their activism after 10 years on the bench. Now the ones who retire for the sake of making sure their seat goes to a Dem or Repub? That imho is criminal and corruptive at best. Traitorous at worst.

Short of breaking political parties and Campaign reform though I'm not sure how to solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Then why didn't the framers throw in that 22nd amendment? Oh wait, because they wanted the option open and that was George Washingtons personal opinion.

I don't understand why so many people seem to think every single thing the Framers did was correct and perfect in every way. They allowed slavery. They didn't allow anyone what wasn't a monied white male to vote. Some of them were ok with forcing you to pay a tax if you didn't want to go to church every Sunday. The fact that people treat these fallible humans as near dieties is absolutely shocking to me. It is bordering on ancestor worship.

Thats the beauty of the Country though. If you dislike it you can try to change it or leave. It's much like Pelosi's opinion where she said "I really dont think too much of the Constitution." They arent dieties, but they did make a pretty incredible system that is very resilient to humanity's inate corruption. That's really why people dislike their principles. Because the Founders very inconviently keep getting in the way of tyrants.
    Last edited by The Penguin; 2013-01-08 at 04:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post

that was his personal opinion..... they didnt allow slavery so much as they appeased the South if they had outlawed it we would have had a civil war right after independence and the south would have won that.... a few states allowed blackes to vote at first then changed once they had the choice of keeping that law or war.... and the states didnt require you to pay taxes for not going to church
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    that was his personal opinion..... they didnt allow slavery so much as they appeased the South if they had outlawed it we would have had a civil war right after independence and the south would have won that.... a few states allowed blackes to vote at first then changed once they had the choice of keeping that law or war.... and the states didnt require you to pay taxes for not going to church

Yup. People havent changed all that much in 300 something years. As we see today, even back then in Politics you had to concede and make concessions to get stuff done. The problem is our current presidents starting with Bush and Obama refuse to do anything like that. Both have the flawed opinion of "Well I won the election so hah."

Doesnt help the country out to have entitled brats running it, so I stand to my belief that 1 Five year term for Executives, Congressmen and Senators would be a very, very good thing.

Yup. People havent changed all that much in 300 something years. As we see today, even back then in Politics you had to concede and make concessions to get stuff done. The problem is our current presidents starting with Bush and Obama refuse to do anything like that. Both have the flawed opinion of "Well I won the election so hah."

Doesnt help the country out to have entitled brats running it, so I stand to my belief that 1 Five year term for Executives, Congressmen and Senators would be a very, very good thing.
    Can you show me where Obama hasn't compromised? Say with the healthcare bill? Oh or how he wanted to let the tax cuts expire for everyone at 250k or higher but he (are you ready for this?) compromised and let it go up to 450k? Oh wait, no. You just have your rhetoric schtick and want to stick to it, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Its not really a good idea. Very few presidents have been outstanding enough to deserve more than 2 through the past 200+ years, and I imagine that will continue. Plus the country needs new blood, new ideas, ect injected into it, although with politics being what it is today that probably wouldnt happen.

Also, i reaaaally dont want to turn into Russia, where Putin and his lackey just trade off political posts every other election.
    Actually i'm pretty sure it only happened once or twice before. And in fact we nearly got a guy for a fifth time. It was cause he was so damn popular and damn good at his job that congress set term limits. If i recall right it was a republican comgress who didn't want the denocrats getting such power again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Typical of the problem with both Obama, and also with George Bush. If you criticize the policies of the President then "you are a idiot who needs to be shut up" from spouting rhetoric shtick. Thats the one thing that's always been the theme all along with tyrants. My idea > Your idea so be quiet or else.

Obama is a failure as a President. So was George Bush. So was Andrew Johnson. So was John Tyler, Millard Fillmore etc. When I see something really noteworthy from either party I'll consider it. The fact that you felt the need to interject specific policies tells me you are desperate to change the subject. I wont.

I would be terrified of George Bush having a no term limits, and equally terrified of Obama having no-term limits. Why? Because most African Americans didnt vote for his policy. They voted on his skin color. Same way many White people voted against him on the same. Its revolting but its our race's nature. Welcome to being a flawed human.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I don't really support Obama, I am curious as to why he's a failure, and specific instances on where he hadn't compromised. I hear conflicting reports on a lot of issues, so I'm not sure who to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Actually i'm pretty sure it only happened once or twice before. And in fact we nearly got a guy for a fifth time. It was cause he was so damn popular and damn good at his job that congress set term limits. If i recall right it was a republican comgress who didn't want the denocrats getting such power again.
    Correct, one president has ever had more than 2 terms. Afterwords the party that didn't like him came to power and passed the 22nd Amendment.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 11:49 PM ----------

Typical of the problem with both Obama, and also with George Bush. If you criticize the policies of the President then "you are a idiot who needs to be shut up" from spouting rhetoric shtick. Thats the one thing that's always been the theme all along with tyrants. My idea > Your idea so be quiet or else.

Obama is a failure as a President. So was George Bush. So was Andrew Johnson. So was John Tyler, Millard Fillmore etc. When I see something really noteworthy from either party I'll consider it. The fact that you felt the need to interject specific policies tells me you are desperate to change the subject. I wont.

I would be terrified of George Bush having a no term limits, and equally terrified of Obama having no-term limits. Why? Because most African Americans didnt vote for his policy. They voted on his skin color. Same way many White people voted against him on the same. Its revolting but its our race's nature. Welcome to being a flawed human.
    So you didn't actually answer the question about where Obama hasn't compromised? Instead you went off in a rant about how no one is allowed to criticize blatantly incorrect statements that you make? Fabulous.
    Last edited by obdigore; 2013-01-08 at 04:52 AM.