Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    the other issue for dalmations is that they require an incredible amount of exercise. if they are cooped up all day every day it can make even a normal, healthy dalmation neurotic. people really need to understand the needs of a breed before choosing it, instead of picking based on how cute it is or if it was in a movie, etc

I blame the puppy mills. They are only interested in making cash, and make sales based on looks. They usually don't bother to educate consumers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Whole breeds are banned in some counties usually Pit Bulls which is kinda bullshit since my Pit Bull is the biggest baby on 4 legs.
    I think it's about time to stop calling "babies" anything that has fangs, especially pitbulls which are known for their tenacity(which they have it for a reason). Just stop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Boxers aren't allowed probably because they're large? Large dogs tend to be loud? That doesn't bode well for apartment living.
    Shows how much you know about dogs. Barking, or even the loudness of it has nothing to do with size.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Only if the owner trains them to, or encourages violent behaviour. And that goes for most dogs.
    A lot of people who are incapable of handling raising a dog, often buy breeds of dogs that require experience or help to raise, because certain breeds are considered "tough" or "cool" to have. As a result, we get a lot of dogs that are like their owners, irresponsible and violent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    I think it's about time to stop calling "babies" anything that has fangs, especially pitbulls which are known for their tenacity(which they have it for a reason). Just stop.
    "Known". That would mainly be because they (or atleast most of the dog breeds that media adresses as "pitbulls") are of the type called "terrier". Or at least this would be the only valid reason as to why they supposedly are "known" for their tenacity.
    All terriers are known for their tenacity and stubborness, so it's not a pittie-only trait. But my guess is calling a foxterrier a "baby" wouldn't upset you as much.

My dads 5 year old rottie is a 65kg baby on for legs btw.
    Last edited by mmoc92050dc89a; 2013-01-08 at 06:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobdanjoe View Post
    Because laws, rules and regulations get put in place because of the few idiots.

There are speed limits because if there weren't, a few idiots would go 90mph or more down residential streets with parks.

There are age limits for driving four-wheelers, three-wheelers and snowmobiles because some people are dumb enough to send their 8 year old out unsupervised, if there wasn't a fine to deter it.

Places ban certain types of dogs because some people raise those breeds to be violent, attack dogs.

Places ban dogs all together because some people let their dogs shit and piss all over everything and never clean up.

Your sister cannot bring her boxer to the apartment because stupid people exist. Period.

This, the shit rules we have to deal with because of 1 asshat is amazing. I used to have a Pit, sweetest dog i have ever seen. She was wary of strangers and black people (which was fucking weird because am black) but not aggressive, didnt bark, Loved kids, was a quiet and sweet dog. People used to walk up and pet her and she would be ok with it.

I had one lady and her kid walk up to us while we where sitting on a park bench, the kid starts petting my dog as i was talking to the lady, she asked what breed she was because she was so quiet and sweet. As soon as i said pit bull, she grabbed her kid and ran.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Certain breeds are more inclined to violence than others, simply put.

If you say that, about say, African peoples you would be racist.

It's nature AND nurture.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmauselol View Post
    Seriously, I hardly post on these forums but the robe and hat were about to come out for this one.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 10:57 PM ----------

Smaller dogs are typically more vicious, its the capacity to harm which is why people are pussies when it comes to certain dogs. If a dog other than a wild one/wolf/dingo kills you, you probably did something to deserve it.
    Not really, often I'd agree. But animals can get scared by a bird flying by and attack a person or child in the process...is it the dogs fault? It isn't, but that doesn't make the matter better.

Better prevent the deal with a situation that is very likely to happen with some breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post

It's nature AND nurture.
    It's true though...it's just in the genes to react differently to new environments or changes. Nothing can be done about it, there are experts out there on this matter you know.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-01-08 at 06:20 PM.

It's probably a size restriction.

Great Dane's for example can be very friendly, but they probably would not allow you to have one in the apartment...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Not really, often I'd agree. But animals can get scared by a bird flying by and attack a person or child in the process...is it the dogs fault? It isn't, but that doesn't make the matter better.

Better prevent the deal with a situation that is very likely to happen with some breeds.
    By that logic, all black people should just go straight to jail do not even pass go, asians should not be allowed drivers licenses.

I mean seriously that's dog racism.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the0o View Post
    I had one lady and her kid walk up to us while we where sitting on a park bench, the kid starts petting my dog as i was talking to the lady, she asked what breed she was because she was so quiet and sweet. As soon as i said pit bull, she grabbed her kid and ran.
    It's really sad. I have this "click" at my doggiepark who shitmouths my dog just because of the breeds he has.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashadeadhead View Post
    "Known". That would mainly be because they (or atleast most of the dog breeds that media adresses as "pitbulls") are of the type called "terrier". Or at least this would be the only valid reason as to why they supposedly are "known" for their tenacity.
    All terriers are known for their tenacity and stubborness, so it's not a pittie-only trait. But my guess is calling a foxterrier a "baby" wouldn't upset you as much.

My dads 5 year old rottie is a 65kg baby on for legs btw.

You would be amazed of what these "babies" are capable of.

Deleted
    You would be amazed of what these "babies" are capable of.
    They are capable of pretty much what every other dog breed is capable of. And I'm well aware of what it is because I've spent my 20-something long life socializing with them. Both non-problem and "problem" dogs. I have met and cared for rotties, pitties, german shepherds, dobermanns, australian shepherds, dachshunds, spaniels and many other breeds. I've been bit twice in my entire life - one of them was serious enough to have me stitched up at the ER. Both times were by two different dachshunds. But please, enlighten me if you think you know more about canines :-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashadeadhead View Post
    They are capable of pretty much what every other dog breed is capable of. And I'm well aware of what it is because I've spent my 20-something long life socializing with them. Both non-problem and "problem" dogs. I have met and cared for rotties, pitties, german shepherds, dobermanns, australian shepherds, dachshunds, spaniels and many other breeds. I've been bit twice in my entire life - one of them was serious enough to have me stitched up at the ER. Both times were by two different dachshunds. But please, enlighten me if you think you know more about canines :-)
    I know well enough to not consider them/treat them like babies.

They are capable of pretty much what every other dog breed is capable of.
    No. That's just stupid. They have been proven to have different levels of intelligence, different strengths, different temperaments.

Deleted
    I know well enough to not consider them/treat them like babies.
    Just because I call anyone a "baby" doesn't mean I treat them like one. Anyone who has ever been in contact with a dog knows that you can't treat a dog like a baby, and that doesn't exclude small-sized dogs. Dogs need a pack leader. It's your role as an owner/carer to be one and lead them. Stop being so butt-hurt about what a person chooses to call his or her dog.

No. That's just stupid. They have been proven to have different levels of intelligence, different strengths, different temperaments.
    Yes, different breeds have different strengths and to a certain degree - temperament. But mind you, temperament can also be very individual. Pitbulls are known as the "nanny-dog" because of their loving and nurturing temperament. Google it and you'll see. This doesn't mean there are some bad eggs in there - which exists due to unresponisble breeding. But this obviously goes for any type of dog breed and not just powerful breeds. Something that people seem to freaking refuse to recognize.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I'm asking if whether or not there is evidence for a dog breed being more aggressive biologically or because of the owner.
    I asked the same question, so maybe you should get in line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post

It's nature AND nurture.
    But humans aren't bred to be violent, so I don't say it about humans. I say it about dogs, who have centuries and millenia of husbandry to get desired traits - such as aggressiveness.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    But humans aren't bred to be violent, so I don't say it about humans. I say it about dogs, who have centuries and millenia of husbandry to get desired traits - such as aggressiveness.
    Then why did in past societies warriors get the most women, because aggressiveness and machismo is seen as positive traits. Many humans are bred for aggressiveness.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Then why did in past societies warriors get the most women, because aggressiveness and machismo is seen as positive traits. Many humans are bred for aggressiveness.
    Do you even know what husbandry is? Society's valuing aggression and breeding for it (lol) would be legitimate if there was evidence that a certain type of human was inherently more aggressive, but they aren't. It's never happened because we've never had an omnipotent power like the Bene Gesserit to do it.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I asked the same question, so maybe you should get in line.
    http://www.fecava.org/sites/default/....2.pdf#page=11

That is at least a good start about that discussion:

"There is an ongoing debate about the relative importance of genetics and early environment on a range of behavioural responses. Certainly nature is relevant to the subject of canine aggression and genetics can influence the tendency to express aggressive behaviours by influencing emotional stability. Fear and anxiety are heritable behavioural traits and the common practice of breeding from nervous bitches to “help to calm them down” can contribute to the perpetuation of defensive aggression. The functional basis of a breed will also influence its threshold of expression of certain behaviour but the singling out of breed as a causative factor in cases of canine aggression has led to inappropriate legislation in many countries across Europe."

This is why responsible breeding is very important. For ANY breed.