Paladin - protection vs holy off-spec

Hey there, so since I installed wow I've always had retribution as my main spec, but constantly change my off spec. I came here to see what yours is (or maybe it's retribution, but I'm curious about these two versus each other) an why?

Do you prefer the tanking play style?
    Do you enjoy healing in your spare time?
    Do you need/like prot for solo'ing?
    Do you prefer to pvp as either?

What makes the decision for you?

I'm not looking for someone to make any decision for me, I just want to know what does it for you, or why you choose what you choose?
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Holy main spec here.

I swap between protection and retribution offspecs (using actionbarsaver), with pretty fail gear for both, depending on what I feel like doing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    Hey there, so since I installed wow I've always had retribution as my main spec, but constantly change my off spec. I came here to see what yours is (or maybe it's retribution, but I'm curious about these two versus each other) an why?

I'm not looking for someone to make any decision for me, I just want to know what does it for you, or why you choose what you choose?
    Same, ret MS since started playing WOW, presently OS as Prot for pve but will end up going Holy OS for guild as Ret is not looking to good on the RBG front. Personally if you want an OS that's rewarding, try both and see which one suits your needs. Prot is also a nice little money maker from the satchels as i can easily make 2/300 gold in a day from the satchel reward alone, and as a pvper every single gold coin helps.

Healing is kind of like dps in that you can just get into a flow, provided you're not doing any crazy fights. Just stare at raid frames, heal them when theres chunks to fill, run in circles otherwise. Tanking, in my opinion, requires a little bit more attention to be payed. But I'm MS prot so I might be biased. People expect things from you when you're a tank. It feels like a role with heavier responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    Holy main spec here.

I swap between protection and retribution offspecs (using actionbarsaver), with pretty fail gear for both, depending on what I feel like doing.
    Hmm, just googled that. I'm gonna have to check that out. The 60g is negligible and the action bars is the annoying part. I enjoy both a good bit

Quote Originally Posted by Uridawnblade View Post
    Same, ret MS since started playing WOW, presently OS as Prot for pve but will end up going Holy OS for guild as Ret is not looking to good on the RBG front. Personally if you want an OS that's rewarding, try both and see which one suits your needs. Prot is also a nice little money maker from the satchels as i can easily make 2/300 gold in a day from the satchel reward alone, and as a pvper every single gold coin helps.
    Yeah I can see how prot would be good for those easy satchels and what not. And yeah I know about just messing with both (I do a lot of that) I was just curious about others' thoughts.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Ive been ret prot and holy in raids and challenge modes. With abs and negligible switching costs, and the fact that you switch talents and glyphs almost per-fight anyways no matter the spec, there's really no reason for me to not be proficient in all 3 specs. The only annoying part is the lack of bagspace from all the gear and consumables.

Deleted
    ret ms always has been mostly i am prot os for easy dougens and schatel also its much more fun to tank doungens than dps.
    i only change to holy when there is no other option in our raid not because holy aint fun its just a hassel to change your bars and organising my bags after it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post

Protection MS/Retribution MS.
    Protection Paladins are in an excellent spot at the moment, best tank for 10man raiding.
    I haven't tried healing since Cataclysm, but apparently it's pretty fun - especially with Shockadin damage.
    You use Protection for some solo fights, most old raids can be done as Retribution though.
    I debated whether to start PvPing or not, but frankly; Retribution isn't in the best of places for PvP at the moment.
    There's something cool about Avenger's Shield; reminds me of Captain America (leader of the Avengers and he throws his shield)