Thread: He, She...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    theres no word. using "they" singularly is considered very bad grammar.
    In the given example, "_____ opened the door with a key," the singular they doesn't work very well. I personally am opposed to the use of a singular they, but it's getting more accepted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

Some examples of Singular They:
    "A person should worry about their own problems." vs "A person should worry about his own problems."
    "One student failed their exam." vs "One student failed his exam."

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    did you read the thread, a few people already posted its ze or zhe.
    Could you use that in a sentence? I've never scene or heard of the word before. I'm just curious. Would it just be like "Zhe went to the grocery store to buy food."?
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    Could you use that in a sentence? I've never scene or heard of the word before. I'm just curious. Would it just be like "Zhe went to the grocery store to buy food."?
    yup, anywhere you would use he or she.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    When I was in school I was taught that it is grammatically proper to use the masculine pronoun whenever gender is unknown or irrelevant, but that is becoming less true as time goes on. I've never heard of this "zhe" stuff, so I can't speak to that one way or the other.
    Still is, but unfortunately rules don't mean much in language as languages are always evolving. "He" refers to both genders when used with that intention. An example such as "if someone were to skip my class, he would most certainly fail," in which both males and females could fit this supposed person.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Still is, but unfortunately rules don't mean much in language as languages are always evolving. "He" refers to both genders when used with that intention. An example such as "if someone were to skip my class, he would most certainly fail," in which both males and females could fit this supposed person.
    English isn't the only language that follows this rule as well. In Spanish, 'ellos' can refer to a group of both genders or exclusively male, where 'ellas' refers to a group of exclusively female.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    A good example for use of a pronoun that could refer to a guy or a girl are the Wow tooltips.

"Icebound Fortitude - The Death Knight freezes HER blood to become immune to Stun effects and reduces all damage taken by 20% for 12 sec."

Blizz has it set up to switch between "her" and "his" depending on the player, but if they were somehow unable to do it, a pronoun meaning either his/her would've been appropriate. I've seen many instances where such a pronoun would be useful, and I'm surprised that we don't have an official word for it. I personally use "they" if it's casually used or "one" "one's" if it's in a formal report.
    I am a filthy casual!

Deleted
    Oh, I thought they were joking, switching out s with z's usually implies parodying a German speaking English.

How would you pronounce 'zhe' though? I mean, without making it sound like she. Zzzzz-he?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Zeus View Post
    Hello

Is there some kind of English word that describes a person by its gender but you don't want to say the gender of the person? This may sound confusing, so let me explain it!

In Sweden we got a word called "Hen", which basiaclly means he or she. It could be either of them, but the writer doesn't want to tell the reader what, maybe because of various reasons (for example that the gender of the person doesn't matter etc, etc...)

Here's an example that I will write in Swedish then translate it to English.

"Hen öppnade dörren med en nyckel"
    "... opened the door with a key"

Also when you search for a job in some companies, they want you to define yourself as an individual with han, hon or hen.

Han = He
    Hon = She
    Hen = ?

Tell me if you still don't understand and I'll try to explain it for you
    I'm swedish and I don't know anyone who uses that term. It just feels dumb and unnatural.

Those are not commonly accepted or used.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Those are not commonly accepted or used.
    Neither is the swedish equivilent, but it is the one we have.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Neither is the swedish equivilent, but it is the one we have.
    Well I'm not sure of the roots of the Swedish one, but zhe/ze etc. are not even something you could really consider English to have, as they are simply proposed new pronouns being pushed by a group who are trying to supplement modern English with their use but are not being used at all. It's not being printed in dictionaries or books, etc. Attempting to use it in a book would just confuse people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm, is "one" as in "One does not simply walk into Mordor." too general? That's the only thing I can think of regarding that problem.

Deleted
    how about "it" or "the person"

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    "them" "they" if you can't/won't/don't want to specify a gender.

bad grammar, maybe. but it works and people do it all the time.
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty common to just say "he/she," or simply say "he." Technically speaking, "he" is supposed to be usable as a gender-neutral pronoun when you want it to, but that usage has been muddled a bit.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

You can use they to refer to a single person without explicitly giving a gender, although according to the last English professor I had the most correct way is to use "he" if the gender is unknown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    He is the default when gender is indeterminate, as in French and most other Indo-European languages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    He is the default when gender is indeterminate, as in French and most other Indo-European languages.
    On dirait qu'il y a toujours une exception qui confirme la règle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylphen View Post
    On dirait qu'il y a toujours une exception qui confirme la règle.
    On is a generalist pronoun, not a strictly third person singular. On mange des frites avec steak would be saying in English One (generally) eats french fries with steak. or People eat french fries with steak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll have to echo other people here with "one", although it seems to be more...situational? "One does not simply walk into Mordor." works but "One went to the store" sounds stupid. "They" is what I would use in that case, because although it usually implies more than one person it doesn't always need to.

That's why I like Japanese. It tends to be a lot more simple for stuff like that. For referring to he/she ("that person" is a better way of putting it) you have different methods based off of affection or familiarity. "ano kata" is very formal, and you won't hear it often in casual conversation. "ano hito" is more casual and a lot more commonly heard. "yatsu" is informal and comes off as rude. Then there are even more (like koitsu, soitsu and aitsu if you're mean ). I think it's a lot more clean and easier to portray emotion.