Poll: High Elves: Do you want them?

Page 1 of 29
... LastLast
    Deleted

High Elves: Is it really what the player base wants?

Seriously, do you? And why?

Even with an updated set of player models, they would only be Blood Elves with blue eyes (assuming Blizzard wouldn't create two separate models for what is essentially the same race). I understand that some people might want to RP as one on the Alliance side but historically the WOW RP community isn't a large group at all.

I also understand that there are larger sections of the wow community who spend time formulating backstories for their avatars and such a thing would be a welcome change but honestly how big are the numbers on this?

Most people choose their characters based on looks which trumps lore considerations (unless you're a lore fan). I can't envisage a high enough number of players taking advantage of implementing the idea to make it worth it. Of course I could be wrong.

Adding them would be less work than making a new race and Blizzard have already taken a step towards unnecessary homogenization of the factions with Panda's. There need to be boundaries in an MMO, clear cut differences and giving both sides the same set of races is detrimental to the gaming experience. I fully expect others to disagree with me here.

Obviously a poll like this is woefully inadequate and inevitably biased as those who care about the wow story flock to wow related forums but I'm just curious to know how many people actually care about this as an issue.

Personally I wouldn't object if they became playable. I just don't see the reasoning behind it when there are better uses of resources to make the game more appealing. Repackaging the same basic race with a different eye colour isn't exactly going to bring in new players.

It just seems to me that this is very vocal minority of players trying to force the game to take a certain direction.

So who actually cares about this issue?
    Last edited by mmoc30840dbb5e; 2013-01-09 at 04:44 AM.

I personally do not care, but I think with what happened to the High Elves in EPL and the Forsaken attack in the Hinterlands they are telling us the numbers are dwindling even further.

If they do though, I want Horde Ogres and Mag'har skins for Orcs, or maybe multi-race skins for Forsaken.

15+ Year Old Account
    No thanks, there are far more things the design team could work on.

I do. Playable Alliance High Elves would be amazing. I was expecting them when I bought the game. Still waiting!

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want a high elf, just go blood elf, they pretty much look the same.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Yeah i suppose I don't care on this one. I'd like to see them put them in but I don't think it's going to happen, plus they would look too similar to blood elves or maybe even humans. I just don't see Blizzard investing a ton of time in creating a new race that looks pretty fucking similar to other stuff already out there. I believe that any new race Blizzard introduces from here on out is going to look pretty goddamn distinguishable, just a theory.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for high elves on alli. I am also fine if they are bells with blue eyes, I'd prefer it to blue

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I don't want Horde filth around me though.
    This poll is biased anyway, seeing as there are 2 options for no but only 1 for yes.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    The main issue is the whole Horde Alliance thing. I personally would love if they were added an an Alliance race and then Ogres added as a Horde race. Or maybe have sub races for other races like High Elves for Humans, Mag'har for Orcs, etc.

Since Vanilla, have I been wondering WHY they weren't a race. Then every Xpac I wonder the same thing.

Its not that I love High Elves, it would just make sense. A lot more so than some choices they have made, or might make in the future.

I think that before they add any more 'new' races they should add the ones that already exist in lore as part of the Horde/Alliance but aren't yet playable.

Talking about the model they'd use, the best course of action would be to use the blood elf models but give them new animations. The only issue would be the 'skins' though: Blizzard may be reluctant to add a new race that has 6 year old skins, but if they made new skins then blood elf players would complain that high elves look better.

Well there isn't a centralized High Elf population anymore. They have no racial leader. Those that were loyal to the Alliance have been assimilated. With that being said I can see this going either way. The argument against is strong though. The Alliance, or at least Humans, are very racist. When the High Elves aided the Humans in the Third War, they were used to hold the line while the Human forces retreated. That's not a good way to treat Allies.

Of course not. This would be like having playable Lordaeron Humans. Almost indistinguishable in appearance because they're just the same race with a different group name. They'd have the same racials, the same class choices, and the same models in the character creator with the only difference being eye color. Period.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Oh, it's totally biased. OP is some hordie apologist. As if implementing high elves would cost the game "races".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I think that before they add any more 'new' races they should add the ones that already exist in lore as part of the Horde/Alliance but aren't yet playable.

Talking about the model they'd use, the best course of action would be to use the blood elf models but give them new animations. The only issue would be the 'skins' though: Blizzard may be reluctant to add a new race that has 6 year old skins, but if they made new skins then blood elf players would complain that high elves look better.
    No. Keep everything the same. Animations and skins.
    Blood Elves and Draenei are still too new for a revamp anyway, they seem more detailed than the newer Goblins.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Well there isn't a centralized High Elf population anymore. They have no racial leader. Those that were loyal to the Alliance have been assimilated. With that being said I can see this going either way. The argument against is strong though. The Alliance, or at least Humans, are very racist. When the High Elves aided the Humans in the Third War, they were used to hold the line while the Human forces retreated. That's not a good way to treat Allies.
    That was by one guy, who later was killed in a fit of karma. This was not, and is not the feelings of any/all humans, not in WC or WoW lore.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Of course not. This would be like having playable Lordaeron Humans. Almost indistinguishable in appearance because they're just the same race with a different group name. They'd have the same racials, the same class choices, and the same models in the character creator with the only difference being eye color. Period.
    Um, high elves don't have fucking blood elf racials. THEY aren't addicted to goddamned magic.

Also, horde already have an alliance race, pandaren. Not even a reskin or recolor!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    They'd have the same racials, the same class choices, and the same models in the character creator with the only difference being eye color.
    That's exactly what people want.

10+ Year Old Account
    i want to be an alliance blood elf

As I've said in other threads, I'd be disappointed in their addition. There's already two playable Elf races, more than any other race. I'd be cool with High Elves as an additional customizable skin or something (same goes for Dark Iron and Wild Hammer Dwarves, etc) but instead of an actual NEW race? Not so much. I'll never understand wanting more of the same.

Elves are overrated. Give us some reptiles, insectoids, and avians to play. Ooh, and Ethereals!
    Last edited by Roulette Kneebasha; 2013-01-09 at 06:02 AM.

"There is a thin, semantic line separating weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish." - Welcome to Night Vale.