Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    A lot of people within the dev team seem to love the idea and that's an incentive to say it isn't too late. That said, I couldn't care less. I'm one of those heathens who makes female Human alts because I think they're visually appealing and have expressive faces.
    Dude I do the same thing! Its pretty weird
    OT: Nope never to late. Its sort of strange to look at my dwarf compared to my panda. One looks meh while the other one practically HD by comparison. Still Updating models doesn't seem like something that can be done quickly without breaking something. Last I heard they were doing Dwarves first to stream line the process to avoid issues. But my memory on that Might be a bit hazy its been awhile.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope that they update the BC races as well as the Vanilla races.
    Goblin and Worgen are decent enough (if you can stand the constant
    sniffing on Worgen).
    I can't wait for the Orcs to get back help

When they update trolls, I'd like for them to give us an option to have boots cover up our feet. Please.

I expect this to be the one and only update to the player races, so no, I don't think they could or should rush it. Sure, I'm anxious and excited to see how they come out, but I wouldn't want them to try and push through to meet players' ever-shortening deadlines only to come out with just some retextured crap. I want real new models, not new skins. Most of the original animations could at least use a good polish, while some are just unbearably bad/buggy. So let them take their time with it. It's not like they don't already with other things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I'd much rather have development funding and focus put on content rather than developing new models. I consider those as a side thing, to be released when ready. I don't know too many people that are foaming at the mouth over it so much to forfeit content.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    To be honest, the new character models will be something for people to grasp onto for a little bit and then they will fade away as if they didn't even happen. People become bored fast. Titan is going to announced at blizzcon this year and I'm assuming once it releases it will be Blizzards new flagship MMO. WoW will always have people playing it but things never last forever.
    Man... No offence but are you insane? Blizzard never said that Titan will replace WoW. What flagship mmo? You think they will risk and end with wow soon to make completly new game their "flagship". It is business so from economical point of view we will play wow for next couple of years. So it is not to late for anything.
    Last edited by Kubiszot; 2013-01-09 at 08:21 AM.

Remember when the new druid forms came and everyone cared for... a week?

The new models won't make or break the game, new players will take them for granted and old players will love/hate them for a month and then... take them for granted aswell.

who cares about such anyway?

I rather have a lag free game which is balanced than looking at a nice model while dying to op classes or lag spikes that are not ISP related.

Even if the models were ready for launch today we wouldn't get them until the next expansion. They will be the selling point of what comes next.

I would be happy if they fired the entire team who do armor models, I mean wtf I am tired of armors that look like florescent colored deep sea monsters
    Metal armors should look like they are metal, not bamboo, not straw or Stone but FUCKING METAL, and definitely not dead animals carcasses or piles of compost

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    I would be happy if they fired the entire team who do armor models, I mean wtf I am tired of armors that look like florescent colored deep sea monsters
    Metal armors should look like they are metal, not bamboo, not straw or Stone but FUCKING METAL, and definitely not dead animals carcasses or piles of compost
    WoW has gone for the cartoony extravagant look since day one.
    this is not "people wear big hunks of iron" la knights in any Robin Hood series.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    At the current point we have at least 1 or 2 WoW expansions to go, depending on when they let us hit level 100, and even then the final expansion will bleed the game dry for 2 - 4 years
    Even this is questionable because GC along with many other blues said they will keep making expansions so long as its worth their time. Seeing as their are still 10million players I would say it is still worth their time. Even if they drop to 8million that is quiet a huge number.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    Assuming you understand the inner workings of Blizzard HQ does very little to strengthen your argument imo.
    And yet you seem to understand the inner workings of Blizzard HQ enough to disregard someone elses opinion?

GC, is that you? If so, I very much wish a pink slip in your immediate future.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 03:52 AM ----------

I always find it funny that Blizzard says that improving character models is a huge amount of resources, when it really isn't. If you are smart, you can enjoy WoW without the old stale old models, all smoothed out and with a greater polygon count, all created by individuals, not a multimillion dollar company, in their spare time.

But whatever. Saying any more might get me a ban, if I haven't earned one already with this post.

But considering how long Blizzard has gone without updating player models with their same old lame ass sorry and lazy excuse... so be it.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This change doesn't really matter, but it sure will be cool.

To be honest, I prefer it the Blizz way... take your time to do a good job.

Deleted
    they will never been here soon enough.

The further it gets pushed the more complex they can get, I like to believe.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Deleted
    I just hope they come up with a good character creation. If they will just bring the old races to be on the level of the pandaren, I will really be disappointed.
    In the games I have played, I have seen very good character creations. The wow one does not belong to it. If they create a new one, they should use the chance and make it epic.
    I would like to see options like
    -change height, size, bodytype (fat, thin), muscles, tattoos, piercings, scars.

also the transmog system is the worst I have seen so far (havent seen them all, i admit.)
    Age of Conan and Rift have very good ones, but missing the option to transmog weapons and shields.

Blizz can do it, but I start to become afraid, that we will "just" see updates on the level of the pandaren.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    See, this is one of those things that irritates the shit out of me. Time and again some blue comes out with some variant of "We need to get it right."

Well, ok... Put in a tick box in the options screen to toggle the new models. Problem solved.

Blizzard are in the unique and enviable position of being to throw money at the problem. Hire some more damn artists. Hell, hire people to hire the new artists if you're worried about them fitting in with Blizzard's culture and design asthetic. Get some people in to vet the work of prospective candidates. Move some of the more senior/experienced artists onto character model updates and put the new guys on some of the other work. Rotate artists around... Whatver.

It should be more of a priority than it is.
    You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. They are always looking for new artists and are ready to hire anyone they can find who has the skills they need.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 08:14 AM ----------

Blizzard takes around a year or more for a brand new character race in this game. These model updates are several times more extensive than just making a new race.
    If you expected this to happen in less than a year you just have no clue what's going on. The majority of time is spent planning and refining. It's not an issue of just having an artist sculpt the model and the animators get to work.

If they did these model updates earlier, they wouldn't look half as good as they are going to look now.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 08:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Baskrik View Post

Blizz can do it, but I start to become afraid, that we will "just" see updates on the level of the pandaren.
    You seem to not consider the fact Blizzard doesn't want to do that. They have already explained why the character creator is so limited in the past. It's part of their design philosophy. They wanted just enough variety for people to feel they could make an individual without bogging down a newcomer to the MMO genre with too many choices. That momentum is a very important thing to preserve when a person enters the game for the first time.

There's nothing wrong with wanting that much customization, but Blizzard disagrees with you fundamentally in what they were trying to do. You have to understand that in 2004 only a few hundred thousand people played MMOs at all. They were more about balancing spreadsheets than being a hero in a mythical forest. Blizzard wants their games to be easily accessible with the details unfolding later.

Samwise summed it up a few years ago with this quote"

We gave very simple choices, and there wasn't any of this 'Is my guy five pounds overweight? Are his eyes sea blue or sky blue?' Don't get me wrong, that sort of thing is cool, but we made a very simple UI and character creator, and that's one of the main things that helped people gravitate to the game.
    Dye systems make textures on gear look bad. WOW is supposed to have a very specific hand painted look to their textures, and dye systems would distort that. Warhammer, Rift, GW2, all of them make dye systems look like overly shiny enamel paint was spilled on the armor, and it often has artifacts and pixel errors in the texture. It's "good enough", and that's not good enough for Blizzard's art team.

Getting rid of all armor class restrictions for transmog would just rob the feeling of choice and identity for the classes.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    You seem to not consider the fact Blizzard doesn't want to do that. They have already explained why the character creator is so limited in the past. It's part of their design philosophy. They wanted just enough variety for people to feel they could make an individual without bogging down a newcomer to the MMO genre with too many choices. That momentum is a very important thing to preserve when a person enters the game for the first time.

There's nothing wrong with wanting that much customization, but Blizzard disagrees with you fundamentally in what they were trying to do. You have to understand that in 2004 only a few hundred thousand people played MMOs at all. They were more about balancing spreadsheets than being a hero in a mythical forest. Blizzard wants their games to be easily accessible with the details unfolding later.
    Thanks for that good explanation. =)
    I kind of understand that choice, yet, what about a random button? If you want to go right into action, you dont need to play around in the creation for 2 hours.
    What about an advanced option?
    Dont get me wrong, I see that blizz does not want that, that really makes me sad, since the character is, what I see most of the time. Seeing Thralls new modell is great, it looks really good. But do scars or tattoos make it more complicated?
    I also agree, in 2004 there was a different type of gamer around in wow. But that changed. We are in 2012 now. So is it not at the time to step the custumization?
    I am aware, that I am a minority with my opinion, and just because I think it should be done, does not mean they will do it. But I see the epic intro for MoP, the tattoos and scars of the orc, and feel like: hm, my orc does not, and will never look like that.
    What about a system, where you stat wow, with the option that are in the creation now, and later, say with level 60 (or 30) you can get access to a npc who gives you the option to make more changes. You dont need to, but if you want to,your character can have scars, tattoos, a different type of body, be smaller than the standart orc.

Edit:
    I also dont like the exaggerating in the qoute: sky blue, sea blue. That would be like the options in for example Rift. Would be nice, but still, two different types of blue would do. Also, 5 pound overweight is the same thing. slim > normal > stout (not sure its the right word) > fat.
    same goes for muscles; justin bieber > robert downey jr > Russel Crowe > the Rock.
    Last edited by mmoc95d897233e; 2013-01-09 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    Woah there not so fast. Looking at Blizzards release history we all know what lame duck they are. At the current point we have at least 1 or 2 WoW expansions to go, depending on when they let us hit level 100, and even then the final expansion will bleed the game dry for 2 - 4 years before a new flagship MMO will take over. We are just not quite there yet.

So relax, we still have a good number of years ahead to be spent in poor old boring WoW. 'nough time to keep people attracted with new char models.
    Blizzard has said "Level 100 Cap in future expansions?
    This is a pretty valid question. Do we have a solidified plan for future expansions I can share? Not yet, but consider that 100 is just a number. "

Im pretty sure they wont stop until it stops making them money.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!