Played Alpha ARR, much better game then the original.

The thing that I didn't really care for was the 3 sec global cooldown, but its alpha and they may change it and make it shorter. Signed up for beta now though.
    Last edited by Zumi; 2013-01-08 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    It has been stated several times that the GCD will decrease as you level up.
    Must admit, I haven't seen that mentioned before.

Max level in the Alpha was 20 out of 50max. And keep in mind there will be Combo Attacks. Use one attack, and it triggers the next to cost no TP and can be used right after the first strike etc. And also LIMIT BREAKS partywide
    The combo attacks seem interesting, but when you say limit breaks, what exactly does that refer to? Like the old 2hr/1hr abilities in FFXI? Limit Break always makes me think of raising my level cap now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Must admit, I haven't seen that mentioned before.

The combo attacks seem interesting, but when you say limit breaks, what exactly does that refer to? Like the old 2hr/1hr abilities in FFXI? Limit Break always makes me think of raising my level cap now.
    While fighting a boss in a party, a Limit Break gauge slowly fills. Doing something called Fine Play increases the speeds of how it fills. Then a class can use a unique ability. Like Blackmage it seems to be Meteor. There is a Limit Break trailer on Youtube where you see the party grouped up and the BLM summons a giant meteor and strikes the dragon they are fighting ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJt3UOBhU8

I think where they mentioned about GCDs is in the last Livestream Live Letter Yoshida did. So I dont think you should worry about that too much.
    But I prefer FFs awesome animations and dont mind waiting a tiny bit. WOWs combat system was too button mashing for my taste and I ended up destroying 3 Razer Naga mices, and several keyboards. FFXIV, I will play by using a Gamepad ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    FFXI will always be my first true love for MMO's
    FFXIV broke my heart some... but I have such high hopes for the revamp I cant wait for it to come out and let me take a break/quit WoW.

I really miss the competitiveness from FFXI

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    While fighting a boss in a party, a Limit Break gauge slowly fills. Doing something called Fine Play increases the speeds of how it fills. Then a class can use a unique ability. Like Blackmage it seems to be Meteor. There is a Limit Break trailer on Youtube where you see the party grouped up and the BLM summons a giant meteor and strikes the dragon they are fighting ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJt3UOBhU8

I think where they mentioned about GCDs is in the last Livestream Live Letter Yoshida did. So I dont think you should worry about that too much.
    But I prefer FFs awesome animations and dont mind waiting a tiny bit. WOWs combat system was too button mashing for my taste and I ended up destroying 3 Razer Naga mices, and several keyboards. FFXIV, I will play by using a Gamepad ^^
    Right, thanks for clearing that one up for me, I'd wondered what the reasoning behind the group Meteo was. So basically maintaining Skillchains and actually working as a group should fill it faster. Just reminds me why I loved the old Skillchain system.

Right, thanks for clearing that one up for me, I'd wondered what the reasoning behind the group Meteo was. So basically maintaining Skillchains and actually working as a group should fill it faster. Just reminds me why I loved the old Skillchain system.
    Agreed, its one of the reasons I played Sam/xxx with a good group you could even get a magic burst off at the end of a skill chain.

I signed up for both EU and NA beta's.

I hope this will be good, i was in beta first time round and was annoyed by all the glitches.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

I want the Japan Beta! : <

Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    I want the Japan Beta! : <
    Why? do you speak the language.. I sure as hell dont, but want too!

10+ Year Old Account
    I needs to expand my vocab in order to. (Reading especially).

all the gameplay videos and news managed to pull me back in. despite feeling ff14 1.0 was the worst mmo i ever played, signed up for beta like 4 times over.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like another Christmas this week! All this great FFXIV news, and a shiny new Wheel of Time book waiting for me once I get home from work.

My cynical self can't but /facepalm after watching the new video. It's the same optimistic, adventerous, band-of-heroes crap they had on the original release, this is really the time they should be melting faces and lighting fires under asses. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    My cynical self can't but /facepalm after watching the new video. It's the same optimistic, adventerous, band-of-heroes crap they had on the original release, this is really the time they should be melting faces and lighting fires under asses. Just sayin'.
    Yeah, it clearly needs to go the route of DMC. Not. What they're trying to present is classic FF tropes, in the guise of a cross between FFXI and WoW. If you don't like "adventurous, band-of-heroes crap", Final Fantasy in general may not be for you. Just saying.

Yeah, it clearly needs to go the route of DMC. Not. What they're trying to present is classic FF tropes, in the guise of a cross between FFXI and WoW. If you don't like "adventurous, band-of-heroes crap", Final Fantasy in general may not be for you. Just saying.
    I didn't say that I disliked adventurous, band-of-heroes crap, it was clearly in reference to how the original FFXIV trailer and the new trailer are so similar. Now is the time for it to publicly differentiate itself from the original release, and obviously does not do that. How is this going to persaude new people to buy the game, or people who disliked the original release to simply give it a shot again?

Just saying.

Also, what the hell does Devil May Cry have to do with my statement and ARR release trailer? They have a perfect platform to show ARR from, this is their opportunity to show Bahamut for example.

I didn't say that I disliked adventurous, band-of-heroes crap, it was clearly in reference to how the original FFXIV trailer and the new trailer are so similar. Now is the time for it to publicly differentiate itself from the original release, and obviously does not do that. How is this going to persaude new people to buy the game, or people who disliked the original release to simply give it a shot again?

Just saying.

Also, what the hell does Devil May Cry have to do with my statement and ARR release trailer? They have a perfect platform to show ARR from, this is their opportunity to show Bahamut for example.
    Because DMC is trying to show a new version of Devil May Cry - it's trying to be gritty and appealing to the kids, forgoing all that came before. The comparison is apt.

The whole point of FFXIV 2.0 is that it will be what FFXIV should've been to begin with: More of a sequel to FFXI and less of a 'we refuse to acknowledge times have moved on'. Hell, they blew up the world and started over again in the new CGI trailer and all the gameplay trailers have been emphasising the changes to the core gameplay. For a majority of people the changes to core gameplay are what will sway the fan base.

Because DMC is trying to show a new version of Devil May Cry - it's trying to be gritty and appealing to the kids, forgoing all that came before. The comparison is apt.

The whole point of FFXIV 2.0 is that it will be what FFXIV should've been to begin with: More of a sequel to FFXI and less of a 'we refuse to acknowledge times have moved on'. Hell, they blew up the world and started over again in the new CGI trailer and all the gameplay trailers have been emphasising the changes to the core gameplay. For a majority of people the changes to core gameplay are what will sway the fan base.
    The comparison is not appropriate for the reason I stated, it's not about moving on or being different, it's about showing what is different, and doing it in an epic Final Fantasy manner. For example, what in the trailer do you think would tell people what the changes are and how it will sway them? For most people, they will see the video, think 'huh,' and move on. It's my honest opinion that if someone sees that video and is really thinking about how awesome it was and how they're exciting to play, that they are fanboys and would have probably liked anything that was shown (and excited for the changes to core gameplay all of us that are paying attention know about).

ps. You're preaching to the choir on the "point" of FFXIV:ARR, I know what it is, why they did it, and I'm well aware of how it happened in game.

The comparison is not appropriate for the reason I stated, it's not about moving on or being different, it's about showing what is different, and doing it in an epic Final Fantasy manner. For example, what in the trailer do you think would tell people what the changes are and how it will sway them? For most people, they will see the video, think 'huh,' and move on. It's my honest opinion that if someone sees that video and is really thinking about how awesome it was and how they're exciting to play, that they are fanboys and would have probably liked anything that was shown (and excited for the changes to core gameplay all of us that are paying attention know about).

ps. You're preaching to the choir on the "point" of FFXIV:ARR, I know what it is, why they did it, and I'm well aware of how it happened in game.
    That's kind of my point though - the story etc in FFXIV was fine and dandy, the graphics were good and so on. People just want reassuring that it's not going to play like crap, which can't really be done with an epic/flashy video. The Limit Break video is flashy enough, but it's hard to tell what it plays like just from watching Weapon Skills go off. That's why they instead switched to the slower moving videos, just showing someone using abilities and the party playing together. It's why the jumping chocobos are featured so prominently in the earlier trailers and so on and so forth. The fan base by and large just want to know the game works this time. A flashy trailer with things exploding and such holds little sway in that crowd.

Again I'll point to DMC as reference. Despite the new appearance of the character being touted so heavily and its slick visuals, very serious business appearance being at the fore-front of their media releases, they abruptly added that trailer that shows the new Dante getting dressed while a flying pizza barely covers his manhood. They simply realised people don't care if new style is slick and dark and stuff; they want to know it's still the Dante they know under there.

That's kind of my point though - the story etc in FFXIV was fine and dandy, the graphics were good and so on. People just want reassuring that it's not going to play like crap, which can't really be done with an epic/flashy video. The Limit Break video is flashy enough, but it's hard to tell what it plays like just from watching Weapon Skills go off. That's why they instead switched to the slower moving videos, just showing someone using abilities and the party playing together. It's why the jumping chocobos are featured so prominently in the earlier trailers and so on and so forth. The fan base by and large just want to know the game works this time. A flashy trailer with things exploding and such holds little sway in that crowd.

Again I'll point to DMC as reference. Despite the new appearance of the character being touted so heavily and its slick visuals, very serious business appearance being at the fore-front of their media releases, they abruptly added that trailer that shows the new Dante getting dressed while a flying pizza barely covers his manhood. They simply realised people don't care if new style is slick and dark and stuff; they want to know it's still the Dante they know under there.

The comparison made was between the release trailer for FFXIV and the release trailer for FFXIV:ARR. These are the official PR videos that people are more likely to see, like what's going to be played in the advertisement section of this website. As I said before, it's pretty much the same thing, queue chocobos. Wow, amazing stuff.

/enddiscussion

The comparison made was between the release trailer for FFXIV and the release trailer for FFXIV:ARR. These are the official PR videos that people are more likely to see, like what's going to be played in the advertisement section of this website. As I said before, it's pretty much the same thing, queue chocobos. Wow, amazing stuff.

/enddiscussion
    So you dislike chocobos. Got it.

The CGI trailer is not meant to showcase gameplay changes. It is spectacular eye candy to attract the target audience.