Poll: High Elves: Do you want them?

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The RPG lifespan lists are no longer canon, according to the lore team Elves who are cut off from sources of immortality live for a few millennia by default. It's entirely concieveable that Anasterian was the same king.
    that and I believe it's explicitly stated it's the same king
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Know what a high elf is? Nearly extinct. Even gnomes have a bigger populance than then, and over 75% of that race were wiped out. Also, they're blue-eyed belfs. You want that? Make a belf DK and shut up.

Ever heard of the Silver Covenant? There's your High Elves. ALL of them. That's how few of them still exist.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    The difference is, High Elves wouldn't really be High Elves anymore if they changed them away from the current ingame High Elf look to look different than Blood Elves. Players who want them wouldn't accept them. This is one of those cases where a copy/rehash is more than acceptable. Rehashes like Dragon Soul were not acceptable.
    I just don't think this would be a huge problem. I am not asking for, or implying they would look drastically different, like Draenei-Broken or anything... but like someone else said... different voices - attack animations - hair wouldn't be too farfetched

15+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard's excuse for not introducing playable High Elves or Alliance-aligned Blood Elves was that they were graphically identical to Horde Blood Elves. With the introduction of Pandaren, that excuse has gone out the window.
    can we use the excuse that they are ~1% of the pre 3rd war Elven population, have no real capital or cultural unity (as compared to other races)? if they want to add Quel'dorei, imo, they should add them as a Human sub-race and give the Horde either Elven Forsaken/Mag'har/Taunka

Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    Know what a high elf is? Nearly extinct. Even gnomes have a bigger populance than then, and over 75% of that race were wiped out. Also, they're blue-eyed belfs. You want that? Make a belf DK and shut up.

Ever heard of the Silver Covenant? There's your High Elves. ALL of them. That's how few of them still exist.
    The only concrete numbers that were ever given was around 25,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The RPG lifespan lists are no longer canon, according to the lore team Elves who are cut off from sources of immortality live for a few millennia by default. It's entirely concieveable that Anasterian was the same king.
    Apologies everyone, I have never heard that. I am not trying to be sneaky!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    can we use the excuse that they are ~1% of the pre 3rd war Elven population, have no real capital or cultural unity (as compared to other races)? if they want to add Quel'dorei, imo, they should add them as a Human sub-race and give the Horde either Elven Forsaken/Mag'har/Taunka
    I'm totally fine with that. They can share the starting area with Humans like Gnomes used to do with Dwarves.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Nope the Silver covenant isn't all of them it is a fraction of the high elves, there are still a few more factions, who are not as hostile to blodd elves, Auric and his high elves for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Nope the Silver covenant isn't all of them it is a fraction of the high elves, there are still a few more factions, who are not as hostile to blodd elves, Auric and his high elves for example.
    Note to mention that Stormwind canonically has a significant population of High Elves.

15+ Year Old Account
    which would put the Pre-3rd war Quel'dorei population at 2,500,000 and the Sin'dorei population at 225,000 which (personally) sounds a bit high

The only concrete number we have on high elves,which is still canon and prior to the burning crusade was 1% of the original elven population, which is less than the army Kael took to Outland, but that hardly matters since playable pandaren come from a few dozen individuals.

Note to mention that Stormwind canonically has a significant population of High Elves.
    Significant means little considering just how few of them are left.
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2013-01-09 at 11:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only concrete number we have on high elves,which is still canon and prior to the burning crusade was 1% of the original elven population, which is less than the army Kael took to Outland, but that hardly matters since playable pandaren come from a few dozen individuals.
    headcanon: Player Pandaren are clones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    which would put the Pre-3rd war Quel'dorei population at 2,500,000 and the Sin'dorei population at 225,000 which (personally) sounds a bit high
    Again, the numbers come from the RPG which is not canon anymore, but they are the only numbers that were ever given.

And two and a half million for the entirety of Quel'thalas (plus a sizeable number living in Lordaeron/Dalaran) is not unfeasible.

Still, out of the original high elf population, 90% were killed by the scourge and 90% of those remaining were afflicted by fel-taint and became blood elves. Which, doing the math, means that only 1% of the entire high elf race still exists as it once did.

The high elf population left is a remnant of a remnant, with no racial culture, leader, or identity - just regrets and memories. Silver Covenant might not literally be all that's left, but it's damn close.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

How about a compromise. No new elf races BUT. Blizzard updates the models and textures of the blood elves and Night elves to be better then the pandas. in addition you could have a cosmetic option for the blood elves to have blue eyes with the glowy effect.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    How about a compromise. No new elf races BUT. Blizzard updates the models and textures of the blood elves and Night elves to be better then the pandas. in addition you could have a cosmetic option for the blood elves to have blue eyes with the glowy effect.
    I don't find that to be a real compromise at all...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    The point is that Alliance players want Thalassian Elves. Making them a "sub race" of humans sounds like the best option with the least development time.

Either that or make Belves neutral.

No. There are already two different elven races for elven lovers.
    We need more stuff like Draenei and Undead, brutal and original never-seen-in-another-game races. Something like Ogres.
    Anyway, if they put more damn elves in game, i'd better they don't add any races at all.
    ps. Wish I could play Undead for the Alliance. Maybe its time to cancel faction-locked races?

Still, out of the original high elf population, 90% were killed by the scourge and 90% of those remaining were afflicted by fel-taint and became blood elves. Which, doing the math, means that only 1% of the entire high elf race still exists as it once did.

The high elf population left is a remnant of a remnant, with no racial culture, leader, or identity - just regrets and memories. Silver Covenant might not literally be all that's left, but it's damn close.
    I know that i don't like to repeat myself ;P

Significant means little considering just how few of them are left.

10+ Year Old Account

And again, no concrete numbers that remain canon have been stated for what exactly the pre-war population was.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 03:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    No. There are already two different elven races for elven lovers.
    We need more stuff like Draenei and Undead, brutal and original never-seen-in-another-game races. Something like Ogres.
    Anyway, if they put more damn elves in game, i'd better they don't add any races at all.
    ps. Wish I could play Undead for the Alliance. Maybe its time to cancel faction-locked races?
    Ogres would be Horde only. Ergo, High elves.

I wouldn't mind unlocking factions.