Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Not read October Daye, but Nightside by Simon Green is the Sword of Truth of urban fantasy, if you will. Try the Alex Verus stuff by Benedict Jacka, Mike Carey's Felix Caster stuff, or The Atrocity Archives by Charlie Stross (although I've not read those myself) and you can try the Garrett P.I. files by Glen Cook if you like the noir-ish mystery genre in a fantasy setting. Some people like Kate Harrison, although I've not read any of her stuff myself.
    I've been reading A Madness of Angels, by kate griffin. Jury is still out but if people like urban fantasy it's worth a peek.

Terry Brooks. Start with the Sword of Shanara. It's a lord of the rings clone, but a very good one. Brooks has written a hugely detailed world that is worth seeing.

Sword of Truth. Yeah. Hmm. The series has some realy shiny parts and some real dulls parts. The first few books are a good, simple story. The middle books get really preachy and (as has been mentioned) Ayn Rand like.

Wheel of Time. Christ, almost everyone will tell you that you need to read them. At least read Eye of the World. See what happens from there.

Malazan Book of the Fallen, oh boy, where to begin. Any discussion about Erickson will quickly make it clear that there are mostly 2 kinds of people in the world. Those that think his books are genius, and you are an idiot if you don't agree. And those that think his work is a tragic pile of dung, with weak character, poor writing, and a plot written buy someone with schizophrenia. If you go the Malazan route. Good luck..hell even the author admits that you either love his work or despise it.

And now for a new recommendation that others might not have made. David Weber's Safehold series. Weber is known for his military science fiction and Safehold is kind of really sci-fi/fantasy. Imagine someone with knowledge of faster than light travel, high tech weaponry, and super robot speed dropped into a 17th or 18th century society. Worth checking out.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not read October Daye, but Nightside by Simon Green is the Sword of Truth of urban fantasy, if you will. Try the Alex Verus stuff by Benedict Jacka, Mike Carey's Felix Caster stuff, or The Atrocity Archives by Charlie Stross (although I've not read those myself) and you can try the Garrett P.I. files by Glen Cook if you like the noir-ish mystery genre in a fantasy setting. Some people like Kate Harrison, although I've not read any of her stuff myself.
    I quite enjoy the urban fantasy genre, and I have never, ever found a series as well written or gripping as Kim Harrison's novels. Absolutely enrapturing series, one that I couldn't put down once I started, and even after I finished it going back found me new, happy bits and pieces left over. If you haven't heard of it, the first few chapters are actually available free online if you google "browse inside Dead Witch Walking," first link.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I quite enjoy the urban fantasy genre, and I have never, ever found a series as well written or gripping as Kim Harrison's novels. Absolutely enrapturing series, one that I couldn't put down once I started, and even after I finished it going back found me new, happy bits and pieces left over. If you haven't heard of it, the first few chapters are actually available free online if you google "browse inside Dead Witch Walking," first link.
    Yes well, you have lady-parts. Ive found that most women I know that read fantasy really enjoy Harrison and most guys don't, which has made me not yet try it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes well, you have lady-parts. Ive found that most women I know that read fantasy really enjoy Harrison and most guys don't, which has made me not yet try it.
    Well considering I meet half of the qualifications for loving Justin Bieber and Twilight, and yet despise both, there's a chance that I'm an oddball with that, haha. But ya, I do get what you mean; the strength of the female caste is something that always appealed to me, even if Rachel Morgan is far from an interesting character for me. Either way, though, if the resources are available for you to test her writing style and descriptive ability, without you needing to buy anything, might as well do it in some afternoon when you have nothing else to do ^_^.

Can't believe I forgot the Peter Rothfuss books, thanks for the recommendations. I started The Wheel of Time, I am enjoying it so far (25% through it, although I have been insanely busy) just got to Baeleron? (typo?) Does the series ever delve further into the magic for men? Or is strictly the women? I usually prefer the series having magic being a core part and not this topic that is never really explained fully.
    Last edited by Doomninja; 2012-12-30 at 08:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheel of Time looks like a challenge to me. I am not a slow reader but I am not that fast either, I would rather soak up whats going on in the book in which case Wheel of time will take a lifetime for me to read lol

I'd recommend Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' Trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass). It's fantasy with elements of science fiction, inspired by John Milton's Paradise lost. Don't let the movie based on the first book fool you. The story is much much bigger in scope than that film suggests. Being High Fantasy means there must be an epic good vs evil struggle involved which doesn't come across quite so well in the first book/movie. The movie would have you think it's about a bunch of kidnappers but that's really not the point of the story at all. All that the kids at bolvanger do is set the wheels of Lyra's fate in motion.

The Subtle Knife was my favorite of the three.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Wheel of Time looks like a challenge to me. I am not a slow reader but I am not that fast either, I would rather soak up whats going on in the book in which case Wheel of time will take a lifetime for me to read lol
    honestly the books are perfect for you then.
    a slow reader just gets bogged down.
    a fast reader tends to glaze over details that could be very important later on or miss important subtext/foreshadowing.

Magician was the first real fantasy book I read when I was like 15 or so and it got me hooked! Finished the rest of the Riftwar Saga pretty fast and had to read the rest of the Riftwar Cycle. There are quite a few books out now so if you want something that lasts a while I would definately check it out!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zark View Post
    I started The Wheel of Time, I am enjoying it so far (25% through it, although I have been insanely busy) just got to Baeleron? (typo?) Does the series ever delve further into the magic for men? Or is strictly the women? I usually prefer the series having magic being a core part and not this topic that is never really explained fully.
    The male side of the One Power does play a significant role in the series, but not in the first book.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can't believe I forgot the Peter Rothfuss books, thanks for the recommendations. I started The Wheel of Time, I am enjoying it so far (25% through it, although I have been insanely busy) just got to Baeleron? (typo?) Does the series ever delve further into the magic for men? Or is strictly the women? I usually prefer the series having magic being a core part and not this topic that is never really explained fully.
    keep reading, i don't want to give away spoilers, but yes, magic, in itself, plays a heavy role in the series. actually upon rereading several times, the first few chapters of the book drop HEAVY foreshadowing...

Alright awesome, got a little further today. This is kind of a bump just to see if anyone else had some more books they recommend.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Well, I finished the first book this evening and I have to say I enjoyed reading it. My only complaint is that Rand is afraid to use his power now (at least that's what it seems like when he claims that he will "never use the power again, even if I have to cut my own hand off first." D=, other than that I thought it was a great read albeit I disliked the whole "main characters are always running bit" that the novel was focused around. I guess I just prefer to have stories with mary sue characters, whether or not that is a good thing ill never know, nor do I think I care to.
    Last edited by Doomninja; 2013-01-10 at 06:33 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I finished the first book this evening and I have to say I enjoyed reading it. My only complaint is that Rand is afraid to use his power now (at least that's what it seems like when he claims that he will "never use the power again, even if I have to cut my own hand off first." D=, other than that I thought it was a great read albeit I disliked the whole "main characters are always running bit" that the novel was focused around. I guess I just prefer to have stories with mary sue characters, whether or not that is a good thing ill never know, nor do I think I care to.
    to be fair, if all you had ever heard your whole life was that the dragon reborn was going to shatter the world, that male channelers went insane and killed everyone around them, and that they were all darkfriends, HOW would YOU react to the fact that you just found out you were a male channeler? theres less running around eventually. but the first 3 books are a lot of running. sorry.

Yeah I know the logic behind it is completely sound. I think I just prefer characters like Kvothe in The Name of the Wind, but two different authors I can't expect them to have the same style. The book was good nonetheless it just feels like only Perrin had the type of story I really get immersed in. Granted I couldn't stop reading once Rand called down lighning to kill Gode thinking "hey he is finally going to start using his power now" it just depressed me to know that he doesn't want to use his power. My favorite books are books that involve the main character discovering a power/ability and learning how to use and eventually being awesome, IE Mary Sue characters, while at the same time not always winning (Kind of like Kvothe, he is powerful but at the same time there are still things in the world that he is unable to do or stop)

Deleted
    Can someone tell me is The Wise Man's Fear any good? i've read alot of mixed reviews. I liked The name of the wind but i rly dont want to get dissapointed.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvidor View Post
    Can someone tell me is The Wise Man's Fear any good? i've read alot of mixed reviews. I liked The name of the wind but i rly dont want to get dissapointed.
    It's pretty good, though it suffers a bit from being the middle book in a trilogy and thus having no real beginning or ending.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I know the logic behind it is completely sound. I think I just prefer characters like Kvothe in The Name of the Wind, but two different authors I can't expect them to have the same style. The book was good nonetheless it just feels like only Perrin had the type of story I really get immersed in. Granted I couldn't stop reading once Rand called down lighning to kill Gode thinking "hey he is finally going to start using his power now" it just depressed me to know that he doesn't want to use his power. My favorite books are books that involve the main character discovering a power/ability and learning how to use and eventually being awesome, IE Mary Sue characters, while at the same time not always winning (Kind of like Kvothe, he is powerful but at the same time there are still things in the world that he is unable to do or stop)
    Eye of the World is an origins novel, the beginning. In the next book, The Great Hunt, without giving away too much information, rest assured that Rand begins to accept responsibility and takes more direct action, and not just with the One Power but with the sword. It's actually enjoyable to see the characters progress, because it adds a bit of realism (if you can even say that) to a fantasy story. By the third book and onwards, the boys have grown up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well other than Wheel of Time which everyone is mentioning (I have read that for ages, but I haven't even finished the last book. Mostly since they decided to not translate it to Swedish and I haven't bothered getting the series in english yet)...also because it is soon coming to the Cinemas in Movie format (d'uh, what else goes to the cinemas)

There is this book series I liked but I always forget its name. All I can remember right now is the first book has some sort of blue dagger in the story :P