Page 1 of 2
LastLast

5.2 Mogu Origins

A quote that was datamined from the game

The mogu tell a legend about Lei Shen, the Thunder King. His followers fell to their knees before him. "We will call you 'The Lightning King,'" they said. It is said that he tore out the very heart of the mogu God. And from that hateful act he gained power over wind and storm.

But Lei Shen did not agree. "Lightning strikes in an instant and is over in a flash," he said. "But thunder. Thunder! Thunder proclaims the coming of the storm." "Thunder quakes the skies long before the lightning strikes, and thunder echoes in the hills long after lightning�s power is spent." "It is thunder that sends animals cowering and fills the hearts of peasants with dread. Let thunder be my herald, so that my power is felt throughout the land." "I will be... The Thunder King." Oh my friend - that awful sound. For a hundred hundred generations the crash of thunder filled the hearts of pandaren with terror.

It is said that after the revolution, the Red Crane of Hope placed the rainbow in the sky, so that pandaren would know not to fear the storms any longer. I do not see any rainbows today. Do you?

Fathers and sons. Mothers and daughters. As parents, we pass our legacy on to our children. What values do we choose to instill in our progeny? What will our children learn from our mistakes? What sort of world will we create and leave behind for our daughters and sons? Parents place their children on a path, but they do not always know where the road will take them.

The mogu were children as well. Children of the Titans. They were once a legion of stone, heartless and obedient. By the Titans' command, they fought the terrible servants of the Old Gods.

They shaped the mountains and carved the rivers of the land. And they created a magical cradle of life in a hidden valley that we now call the Vale of Eternal Blossoms.

But eventually the Titans fell silent. And their creations were cursed with flesh. The mogu grew restless. Many generations later, when Thunder King united them, they seized upon their legacy! I truly believe now that the mogu thought they were doing the work of the Titans. They fought against the mantid and used the powers of the Vale to create new life. Ah, but such terrible works! Parents cannot always be assured of the legacy they will leave behind. How especially true this is, when the parents are Gods. And their children - monsters.
    So ya look like mogu are titanic creations after all and not the brutish animalistic race who changed because of the magic waters of the vale that we were led to believe they were.

Awesome, absolutely awesome. And they called their Watcher a God too. Lots of implications for the story of Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Curse of Flesh.....WHY..... GET RID OF IT.

In any case this will be interesting.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Well I thought it was kind of obvious given the way they turn to stone and so forth. But it's a nice bit of lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

This titans, monsters monster, full of monster.

Fantastic datamined.

The Mogu aren't exactly evil, at least not as they started out. They have a somewhat twisted version of order, based on obedience and subservience, probably from their own experience as the military front line and construction labourers of the Titans (things they enslaved Pandaria's races to do). This explains why they don't destroy things for the sake of destruction, it goes against their "programming" and like Algalon, they simply have no emotions either way. Just order and what it takes to get it. I still wonder what prompted them to rebel against their Watcher. It sounds a lot like what happened when the Vrykul abandoned the Titan's as Gods and Ymiron took up the mantle of God-King.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewan View Post
    So ya look like mogu are titanic creations after all and not the brutish animalistic race who changed because of the magic waters of the vale that we were led to believe they were.
    Well It still could be both. Vrykul are former titian constructs yet they are very brutish. Maybe the waters developed their mind and skill with magic
    like what happened with the goblins.
    Last time I checked the leading theory on Pandarens is that they were panda colored furbolgs that drank the waters of the vale and got smarter
    as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
    Well It still could be both. Vrykul are former titian constructs yet they are very brutish. Maybe the waters developed their mind and skill with magic
    Last time I checked the leading theory on Pandarens is that they were panda colored furbolgs that drank the waters of the vale and got smarter
    as well.
    That is what Loremasters think at the moment. But datamined piece is from new Cho stories in 5.2

Deleted
    so the curse of flesh strikes once agian, but however it seems the mogu overcame it if you read the stories that they can go from flesh too stone and back

Felt like it was pretty obvious they were originally a titan servant race since the moment they emerged Fallout style from that titan vault and used their advanced technology to rule over all other races there. Can't help but think of the mogu as if they're the Enclave now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
    as well.
    There's no need to further assign the Vale as having some special properties which enhanced the Mogu, the Mogu built it at the order of the Titans.
    vvv
    They shaped the mountains and carved the rivers of the land. And they created a magical cradle of life in a hidden valley that we now call the Vale of Eternal Blossoms.
    The Mogu, somewhere along the line also deviated from their programming, but not entirely. They are an example of concepts of Order being overbearing, probably not something the Titan's had in mind since none of the other Titan races enslaved other races. Free will isn't something they value or care about. Only maintaining Order, at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by felhunter View Post
    so the curse of flesh strikes once agian, but however it seems the mogu overcame it if you read the stories that they can go from flesh too stone and back
    Also, their models look very stone-like.

Just because they can turn to stone doesn't mean they overcame the curse. Just look at the dwarves racial ability. They can turn to stone too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a source for this? It sounds very much like a pandaren is saying it - perhaps this is a new Lorewalker revelation? It'd be great to see some of this history acted out.

I'm assuming this 'mogu god' is Ra-Den, a titan Watcher that was left behind in Pandaria to protect the titan holdings there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well I thought it was kind of obvious given the way they turn to stone and so forth. But it's a nice bit of lore.
    When the mogu were first revealed, everyone thought exactly this. That they had to be some kind of titan creation, looking like clay and stone as they did.

But the earliest lore we got was that they were altered by the waters of the vale. I guess this bit of history goes back even further.

Anyway, this is super awesome. The mogu's true origins are revealed, their bond to the titans confirmed.

This also confirms that the Vale is a well of Titan power, similar to Un'Goro and Sholazar. Very interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    It sounds a lot like what happened when the Vrykul abandoned the Titan's as Gods and Ymiron took up the mantle of God-King.
    This sprung to my mind as well. Remarkably similar, when you think about it.

The Curse of Flesh doesn't simply fleshify. It gives, in at least some form, the essence of chaos.. the Old Gods' evermost favorite thing. Chaos. Free will. Heck, I'd say that the "flesh" part is only a side-effect, or requirement, for the Curse's true goal: the removal of order (Old God agenda point #1) through free will.

And free will allows for good as well as evil. Free will for the Earthen created governed dwarven clans. Free will for the Vrykul created a God-King and his subordinates. Free will for the Mogu created an imperialistic race of conquerors. There is absolutely no control over free will. There's a blank slate, and then... whatever chaos brings.

The Old Gods must be laughing it up big-time.
    Last edited by Chonar; 2013-01-10 at 10:07 AM.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    This sprung to my mind as well. Remarkably similar, when you think about it.

The Curse of Flesh doesn't simply fleshify. It gives, in at least some form, the essence of chaos.. the Old Gods' evermost favorite thing. Chaos. Free will. Heck, I'd say that the "flesh" part is only a side-effect, or requirement, for the Curse's true goal: the removal of order (Old God agenda point #1) through free will.

And free will allows for good as well as evil. Free will for the Earthen created governed dwarven clans. Free will for the Vrykul created a God-King and his subordinates. Free will for the Mogu created an imperialistic race of conquerors. There is absolutely no control over free will. There's a blank slate, and then... whatever chaos brings.

The Old Gods must be laughing it up big-time.
    Yeah, but then there's all the weird little spinoffs with the curse that went wrong. Like the Troggs coming from the earthen too. Though it was nice to see that a good number of them in Pandaria were fixed up into the grummels. Mogu +1 point. Then there's how the humans spun out from the fleshed vrykul who abandoned their tiny children in the eastern kingdoms with nothing but the vrykul legends of Tyr's valor to get them really going in the world the way we know them now.

10+ Year Old Account
    has it been established what the waters of the Vale of Eternal Blossoms actually is? (in game?)
    is it waters left over from the original Well of Eternity ?
    If not could it be a titian manufactured replica of the waters in the Well of Eternity?
    I know the data-mined lore says the Mugu made the Vale of Eternal Blossoms
    but what does that exactly include ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dybia View Post
    Yeah, but then there's all the weird little spinoffs with the curse that went wrong.
    I think your definition of 'chaos' needs some adjusting.

Deliç͢i̛͟͢ou͟͠s̛͠ ̴c̨͟͠h̨͠a̸̡̲̥̩͖ͅo̘ͅs̢̪̻͓͍͖̕.͇̹̗̣̱́͠
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

poor mogu, they are victims of their own creators. the titans made them strong and heartless to fight the old gods. they made them to build the world and enforce the titan order. than they did what they could: they built the world and enforced the titan order with strength and heartlessness.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    "Thunder quakes the skies long before the lightning strikes."

No it doesn't. Thunder always comes after lightning.