Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    How the hell can this myth still exist... US has not been the bastion of freedom since the early 1900s.
    How so? The US as a federal government is relatively hands off. It's job is to ensure certain liberties are upheld and to keep order in the Union. Usually when speak of their "freedoms" being taken away it applies to something that is handled by the state. If it's a state issue then it's usually voted in by the people of the state. Your "freedom" that you lack is because the majority of your state is against it, see gay marriage and marijuana laws.

Deleted
    "Tyranny is inevitable, let's just accept it and convert to tyranny".

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Exactly, you don't even live here, I live here, and trust me I have the freedom to do whatever the fuck I want to do. There is no internet censorship, I can look up anything I want to right now.
    Acta, pipa and sopa. But hey, you live there, so what would i know.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Excuse me if I do not take a deceased comedians opinion's seriously on political issues. Now if you would have posted something from an actual political science professional I may have read it and took it to heart. But this is laughable.
    So should we discount somebodies ideas because they are dead or because of their job?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    I don't know where you live so I dunno if you can. But a lot of western countries prohibit it: Germany, Austria, France...
    MMO-C really needs a location note. Possibly below the join date and above the post count

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, you don't even live here, I live here, and trust me I have the freedom to do whatever the fuck I want to do. There is no internet censorship, I can look up anything I want to right now.
    But can you go into your town with a megaphone and start bad mouthing the government.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

15+ Year Old Account
    Acta, pipa and sopa. But hey, you live there, so what would i know.
    Not a law, not a law, and not a law. Try again?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    But can you go into your town with a megaphone and start bad mouthing the government.
    Is this a real statement? Yes of course I can

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    MMO-C really needs a location note. Possibly below the join date and above the post count
    Just googled it, Denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    How so? The US as a federal government is relatively hands off. It's job is to ensure certain liberties are upheld and to keep order in the Union. Usually when speak of their "freedoms" being taken away it applies to something that is handled by the state. If it's a state issue then it's usually voted in by the people of the state. Your "freedom" that you lack is because the majority of your state is against it, see gay marriage and marijuana laws.
    Thats a pretty naive way of looking at the current democratic process, considering the amount of political lobbying and satire the people are exposed to.

China: Power held by wealthy elite called 'the government', rest are subservient.
    USA: Power held by wealthy elite called 'big business', rest are subservient.

Not a law, not a law, and not a law. Try again?
    The fact that it was even considered and still has upcoming variations already speaks volumes. Shit like that cannot even be imagined here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Excuse me if I do not take a deceased comedians opinion's seriously on political issues. Now if you would have posted something from an actual political science professional I may have read it and took it to heart. But this is laughable.
    It's odd because I get more news from Comedy Central these days than most "News" channels.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I'd say that the US lacks freedoms in some regard compared to my country...

Cant even get a Kinder Egg
    Ahh the Kinder Egg, so delicious. I ate them all the time in Spain. Pity I can't get them here in the U.S.

Sandmoth12: Too much freedom!? Are you serious!? Look at the USSR (now defunct), Cuba, North Korea, China, Venezuela and tell me too much freedom is bad thing. Too much government is a bad thing, anything the government touches dies! Why do you think the U.S. Postal Service is on the the brink of bankruptcy? Medicare? The only people who want less freedom are the ignorant and those who want to control the ignorant. One last question for you Sandmoth12; which are you?

15+ Year Old Account
    Thats a pretty naive way of looking at the current democratic process, considering the amount of political lobbying and satire the people are exposed to.
    Yet you have still not said one specific law/code/policy that limits "freedom".

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    China: Power held by wealthy elite called 'the government', rest are subservient.
    USA: Power held by wealthy elite called 'big business', rest are subservient.
    In China they just do it. In the US however they need to go through the people first. They are doing a pretty good job at it but the people could make it real difficult if they wanted.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by etnitz View Post
    Ahh the Kinder Egg, so delicious. I ate them all the time in Spain. Pity I can't get them here in the U.S.

Sandmoth12: Too much freedom!? Are you serious!? Look at the USSR (now defunct), Cuba, North Korea, China, Venezuela and tell me too much freedom is bad thing. Too much government is a bad thing, anything the government touches dies! Why do you think the U.S. Postal Service is on the the brink of bankruptcy? Medicare? The only people who want less freedom are the ignorant and those who want to control the ignorant. One last question for you Sandmoth12; which are you?
    I know I shouldn't do this, but why do you think medicare and postal service are in the red?

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure about americans having more freedom tbh. Patriot act, picking of its own citizens without trial, terrible media.
    What are you copmaring it too? I can go and sieg heil as much as I want in the US unlike some european countries, having a ton of guns but on the other hand they dont suffer from the above.
    So what exactelly are you comparing, which freedoms?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

15+ Year Old Account
    The fact that it was even considered and still has upcoming variations already speaks volumes. Shit like that cannot even be imagined here.
    Where are you? Because ACTA was in all 22 EU countries, pretty much every first world country.

Quote Originally Posted by etnitz View Post

Personally i have no idea how they are not banned. I remember when i was a wee lad and tried to open those damn plastic eggs with my teeth. Could easily have choked on it had i been unlucky. But they were stuck so hard together that you pretty much had to bite it open.

Yes, my childhood was full of dangers. From plastic eggs to legos.

Edit: Also i seem to remember that the USPS was weird. Something from the Daily Show or Colbert - it doesnt actually receive tax funds and stuff that made it hard for them to actually make money
    Last edited by Catta; 2013-01-10 at 10:46 PM.