15+ Year Old Account
    All three centers on the Lakers are injured. Gasol has a concussion, out indefinitely. Hill has a hip injury, out indefinitely. Howard tore the labrum in his shoulder, out indefinitely (at least a week or two).

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 06:16 AM ----------

Scott Skiles reportedly out as Bucks coach. This is despite the team being the 7th seed right now at .500 with a completely shit roster. Makes sense right? No one expected the Bucks to be better than they are right now.

Im officially starting to really worry about the Mavericks. Dirk is back, not his 100% self but hes there and they are still losing and losing and losing. This hole is getting steep and Im beginning to question whether they can dig themselves out. This would be the first year they didnt make the playoffs since Dirk's rookie season I believe, talk about a long stretch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Im officially starting to really worry about the Mavericks. Dirk is back, not his 100% self but hes there and they are still losing and losing and losing. This hole is getting steep and Im beginning to question whether they can dig themselves out. This would be the first year they didnt make the playoffs since Dirk's rookie season I believe, talk about a long stretch.
    I still think they need to blow it up. The Mavs are not even close to being a championship team right now. It doesn't help a team to be in the late lottery. They really should look at dealing their valuable pieces, with the possible exception of Dirk, and try and rebuild things. Although that is probably more of an option next season when pretty much every major contract is an expiring.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 12:22 PM ----------

Rudy Gay being shopped to the Suns in a deal that may return Dudley and a 1st round pick. Memphis is desperate to get under the tax line.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I still think they need to blow it up. The Mavs are not even close to being a championship team right now. It doesn't help a team to be in the late lottery. They really should look at dealing their valuable pieces, with the possible exception of Dirk, and try and rebuild things. Although that is probably more of an option next season when pretty much every major contract is an expiring.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 12:22 PM ----------

Rudy Gay being shopped to the Suns in a deal that may return Dudley and a 1st round pick. Memphis is desperate to get under the tax line.
    Speaking of Mavs and Rudy Gay, cant see a better trade option for both teams. Rudy Gay would be a great piece to build around and Memphis can take any of the Mavs 1 yr deals. Maybe a Marion Kaman for Rudy Gay. 8 million off the books this year for Grizzlies and 8 the year after Marion's contract expires.
    Last edited by Manavz; 2013-01-09 at 12:50 AM.

Dont look now but lately Carlos Boozer has actually been somewhat living up to his contract the past 5 games. Averaging 23.2 points and 12 rebounds while actually giving a solid effort on defense. Its a fricking miracle.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Kings relocation plan to Virginia Beach fell apart last week. Rumor has it that the Maloofs sold the team this morning possibly to Seattle businessman Chris Hansen.

Harden tied the Rockets franchise record last night with his 13th straight 25+ point game, tying Moses Malone. How does Dream not have that record?

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 12:14 PM ----------

Kobe set the record last night for most missed field goals in NBA history, breaking Hondo's old school record of 15,295.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-01-09 at 01:34 PM.

There was a lot of opposition to the stadium deal among the councilmen here. They didn't want the city to get stuck with so much of the bill, which is smart.

So we agree that the Lakers just aren't a good team this year, right? This isn't a case of them just needing to get used to each other any more. I just don't see how it works. Dwight Howard looks done, and he can't stay healthy anyway. This team looks like the disorganized mess that some pessimists predicted the Heat would be when that team was first constructed. I don't think they're even a playoff team.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    There was a lot of opposition to the stadium deal among the councilmen here. They didn't want the city to get stuck with so much of the bill, which is smart.

So we agree that the Lakers just aren't a good team this year, right? This isn't a case of them just needing to get used to each other any more. I just don't see how it works. Dwight Howard looks done, and he can't stay healthy anyway. This team looks like the disorganized mess that some pessimists predicted the Heat would be when that team was first constructed. I don't think they're even a playoff team.
    I'll agree that the Lakers are going nowhere and that the roster is horribly constructed. I won't agree on Howard being done or even remotely close to done. He has years and years of basketball left. I don't think those years will be in LA, but he has looked fine for just coming back from back surgery. His labrum injury is only going to keep him out a week so that isn't a big deal apparently. As for being a playoff team, barring a major roster change (aka Gasol or Howard moved for a piece that actually functions in the offense) I think anything higher than 6th is out of the question really. They might squeak in, but if they do I don't see them beating any of the top tier teams in the West.

I should clarify about Howard. He'll be a good center for another few more years because the league has a serious lack of quality bigs. I don't know that he looks like a top 10 player. Maybe he just wasn't 100% healthy yet. I think his numbers are solid still, he just doesn't look as good on the floor. I can't really place what it is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    I can't really place what it is.
    I have no numbers to back this up and am in no mood to go digging for statistics, but the paint doesn't seem to be off limits like it was at times in Orlando. Howard has been slow on defense, well slower than he was. He hasn't been bad, but he doesn't look like a perennial DPOY candidate so far this year. I'm sure that is mostly related to his back injury though. I am willing to believe it is just an injury or system related thing and not a potential decline in his ability long term.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll agree that the Lakers are going nowhere and that the roster is horribly constructed. I won't agree on Howard being done or even remotely close to done. He has years and years of basketball left. I don't think those years will be in LA, but he has looked fine for just coming back from back surgery. His labrum injury is only going to keep him out a week so that isn't a big deal apparently. As for being a playoff team, barring a major roster change (aka Gasol or Howard moved for a piece that actually functions in the offense) I think anything higher than 6th is out of the question really. They might squeak in, but if they do I don't see them beating any of the top tier teams in the West.
    Even making it to the 8th seed would require something like a 70% win rate from now on based on past trends wouldn't it? Based on what we've seen from the Lakers so far that seems unlikely at best. I don't know what their schedule looks like past this week, but from what I remember they spend a lot of time playing western conference teams. I could see them maybe making the necessary run if they played a lot out east, but trying to put together a 10 to12 game run against the west, especially when they're without their bigs, is asking for a miracle.

On a side note - how the hell do the Wizards manage to beat both Miami and OKC so far this season? Worst team in the league and yet still manage wins against last year's conference champs. Just seems odd.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    On a side note - how the hell do the Wizards manage to beat both Miami and OKC so far this season? Worst team in the league and yet still manage wins against last year's conference champs. Just seems odd.
    OKC and Miami, moreso Miami, both have no problem playing down to the level of their competition on most nights because the regular season doesn't matter. It is weird though. Its like the expansion Raptors beating the 72 win Bulls.

Maloofs officially in talks with the Hansen led group to sell the Kings almost certainly resulting in a relocation to Seattle when the arena is done.

Anyone else besides me totally rooting for the Seattle Sea Otters?

Man I am super pumped for the return of basketball to Seattle, the city I will eventually move to. Now they just need an NHL team also.
    Kevin Love out 8-10 weeks after hand surgery. SUPER. I blame myself. I buy a Kevin Love jersey, the only basketball jersey I own, and he gets fucking hurt like three days later and is more than likely going to be out when the Wolves come to Detroit in March. BAH

Also, irony thy name is Clay Bennett. Bennett you may remember was the mother fucker who stole the Sonics and moved them to OKC. He is now the head of the relocation committee who will decide if the relocation to Seattle happens.

Present relocation plan is to play in the Key next year and the following year. The new arena should be ready for the start of the 2015-16 season.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-01-09 at 08:46 PM.

I think it was con who mentioned dwights ineffective shot blocking style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cOhwSH1FYg

+1 blocked shots is great in fantasy leagues though

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    I think it was con who mentioned dwights ineffective shot blocking style.
    Highlight reel blockers are fucking idiots. I saw that on Sportscenter yesterday and laughed my ass off. These idiots who go for the swat and try and knock it into the stands are just the worst. That is why guys like Bill Russelll, Dream, even Mutumbo will always be better at blocking shots than guys like Howard even if the raw numbers aren't the same. Smart guys control where the ball goes. They block it to teammates and use it as a tool to start the break (basically the base of Russell's greatness is that awareness). You don't gain nearly the same advantage for your team when you block it into the stands, strut around like a rooster, and make the top 10 plays.

Heres a vid of some of Mutumbo's best blocks. Every single one of them either goes straight down or back into the court towards teammates. None of the out of bounds swatting nonsense.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 06:12 AM ----------

Holy shit this video is perfect. Here is the greatest coach and greatest big man of all time explaining the block.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Scott Skiles reportedly out as Bucks coach. This is despite the team being the 7th seed right now at .500 with a completely shit roster. Makes sense right? No one expected the Bucks to be better than they are right now.
    A few days late, but it was reported that Skiles went to the front office and said "These guys don't listen to me anymore, you gotta let me go." Pretty standard for Skiles as the same thing happened in Chicago. I'm sure he'll get hired again somewhere, take a mostly bad team to a respectable record playing team basketball, then get fired in 4 years.

:O.......those flower NBA league people suspended Melo for a game. Now Knicks are gonna get raped by Pacers tonight on national TNT low # of games night that everyone will be watching.

Wtf. Kevin Garnett says "your wife tastes like honey nut Cheerios" and Melo is supposed to take it like a bitch? IN NEW YORK? No way.

No derogatory terms. That is like literally my one rule. -Conscript
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-01-10 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Wtf. Kevin Garnett says "your wife tastes like honey nut Cheerios" and Melo is supposed to take it like a bitch? IN NEW YORK? No way.
    I would've laughed. Worst insult I've heard in a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    :O.......those flower NBA league people suspended Melo for a game. Now Knicks are gonna get raped by Pacers tonight on national TNT low # of games night that everyone will be watching.

Wow, just wow. Suspended for confrontation, what in the living hell is that? From what i saw Melo only wanted to talk to him to clear things up. They are making the game into some pussy ass shit now. In a couple of years you will be obligated to hug players if you dunk on them, or get T-ed up for posterizing someone. Give me back my NBA for god sake. I hope the next commissioner has some balz left in him, and brings back the toughness of the game. Instead of making sure the officials aren't crap they invent to ways of banning players for having 2 different sock colors.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-01-10 at 08:02 PM.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Ya that Melo suspension is about as stupid as the Boogie suspension for confronting the Spurs' super douchey color guy following a game. Both of those events should be fines at worst. When you have guys getting the same suspensions as other players who either contact refs (Rondo got one game on literally like his 6th offense) and whoever threw a crazy elbow a couple weeks ago and got the same 2 games Boogie got for talking to the color guy you have a discipline scale problem. Still better than the NHL's Wheel of Discipline though.

Yeah sorry Conscript, you know I'm crazy and say stupid stuff all the time.

And uhhh in other New York news, Andre Blatche is being accused of rape so lol/////// Actually, to be correct, 2 of his friends sexually assaulted someone in a hotel, and Blatche was said to not have assaulted the lady himself, but he looked in on it and did nothing to stop it. (All in Philadelphia.) Hmmmmmmmmm.....I guess Conscript was right for not liking this guy lol.

Iman Shumpert is closer to playing, omg I told you guys Knicks were gonna come out banging with the whole team fixed up eventually. Just need to see what the deal with Rasheed Wallace is.

Oh and Amare is limited minutes tonight since his knee is "sore." Not sure I like where that road is leading.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 10:47 PM ----------

:/ I told you knicks were gonna get raped.