Page 11 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Again, Bloodrush seems to fall short: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...3&d=1357794147

Compare to, say, Predator's Strike. It seems really expensive to activate, giving up the card plus the mana cost.

Giant Adephage is cool. Imagine that with populate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Holy hell I just looked at Goblin Charbelcher. Though, you still need some way to get the belcher in play, and to play its effect, so you need some lands, right?
    Current belcher decks have 1-2 lands, most of the time.

The last one to top8 a big event had 1 land only.

4 land grant
    4 lotus petal
    4 chrome mox
    4 lion's eye diamond
    4 simian spirit guide
    4 elvish spirit guide
    4 desperate ritual
    4 manamorphose
    4 pyretic ritual
    1 taiga
    3 tinder wall
    4 rite of flame
    4 goblin charbelcher
    4 empty the warrens
    4 gitaxian probe
    4 street wraith

It's easily capable of generating 7 or more mana on turn 1 without any land.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to try a new deck at FNM tomorrow. Tell me how you guys feel about this. Any recommendations would be absolutely welcome.

Creatures:
    Angelic Overseer x4
    Knight of Glory x4
    Knight of Infamy x4
    Guardians of Akrasa x4
    Doomed Traveler x4
    Tormented Soul x4

Enchantments:
    Divine Favor x4
    Oblivion Ring x4

Instants:
    Dissipate x4
    Cancel x4

Lands:
    Hallowed Fountain x4 (two of these are currently Azorius Guildgates until I replace them)
    Swamp x10
    Plains x6

I feel like this deck will be better after Gatecrash release when I can get some Watery Grave and Godless Shrine to replace more basic lands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kalyyn, that deck sounds like shit to me, but then again I don't play tournaments so I don't really know what works.

Look, it's a multi-Swords to Plowshares

Looks like the primordials are a set, and they affect your opponent's cards. Interested to see the other three.

Hey look at all of the Boros love. Both of these will show up in constructed.

Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-01-11 at 07:09 AM.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Kalyyn, that deck sounds like shit to me, but then again I don't play tournaments so I don't really know what works.
    I'm basically trying to counter green-white human spam, which is the only thing I ever see at FNM anymore. I pretty much refuse to play anything that's popular (no idea why), but I think this has a shot. The idea is to drop exalted humans as fast as possible, then bring out an angelic overseer and let them have fun with my 5/3 hexproof indestructible angel who's now buffed to shit with exalted stacks. The oblivion rings are for knocking out Champion of the Parish or Silverblade Paladin when those come out, and the cancel/dissipates are to prevent board wipes and enemy oblivion rings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I'm basically trying to counter green-white human spam, which is the only thing I ever see at FNM anymore. I pretty much refuse to play anything that's popular (no idea why), but I think this has a shot. The idea is to drop exalted humans as fast as possible, then bring out an angelic overseer and let them have fun with my 5/3 hexproof indestructible angel who's now buffed to shit with exalted stacks. The oblivion rings are for knocking out Champion of the Parish or Silverblade Paladin when those come out, and the cancel/dissipates are to prevent board wipes and enemy oblivion rings.
    playing 8 spells that cost 2 blue mana seems really REALLY greedy with only 4 lands that can produce blue. I assume you will be stuck with those counterspells quite a lot, without a way to cast them.

I myself don't really play standard often. I've built a G/B aggro list, similar to Brian Kibler's list at the scg invitational, and it's really fun to play, but I'm focusing more on building and expanding my legacy collection. Nearly got all the different BUG shell lists completed (Team America, Bug control, Shardless Bug)

Anyone here interested in EDH? I only recently got into it, and I'm building an Azami, Lady of scrolls deck now. I had most of the expensive cards like Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Force of will. And recently bought a Mana drain and mana crypt.

This is the decklist.

http://www.nedermagic.nl/deck_item.asp?deckid=117036

I'm planning on foiling it out over time, at least the cards that are available in foil versions. Will take some time and a lot of money though
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    playing 8 spells that cost 2 blue mana seems really REALLY greedy with only 4 lands that can produce blue. I assume you will be stuck with those counterspells quite a lot, without a way to cast them.
    I agree, given that both cost 2U. You need 50% of your blue mana just to cast them.

I agree, given that both cost 2U. You need 50% of your blue mana just to cast them.
    Considering 4 and 5 color control decks are pretty common nowadays it isn't hard to imagine a splash.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    This is a good point. It won't be such an issue once the new shocklands come out, but I was considering running 4 hallowed fountains and 4 azorius gates until then. I kind of need the cancels and dissipates, otherwise I'll get torn apart by boardwipes.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 01:14 AM ----------

That deck did surprisingly well at FNM tonight. Granted, I dropped all of the blue cards in favor of Champion of the Parish x4 and Safe Passage x4. I beat an American Mid Range in first round, then just barely lost to Bant Control in round 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best guildmage yet

10+ Year Old Account
    Best guildmage yet

The second ability seems a bit risky. If the land becomes a creature, I would assume that I could use creature-killing spells on it. Then you'd be out a land.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    The second ability seems a bit risky. If the land becomes a creature, I would assume that I could use creature-killing spells on it. Then you'd be out a land.
    Yeah, but it's a 4/4, just above a lightning bolt. It's basically Koth's +1 ability, except in his case you get to untap it.

That's definitely not the best guildmage. Simic and dimir are both really strong. Dimir can get you instakills by turn 3-4 in modern, less in legacy and will power out many new strategies. Simic is a limited bomb and can serve as combo fodder in modern as well, making persist creatures keep returning no matter how many times they are sacrificed by using its ability just once. Simic also combos extremely well with their mechanic...

In fact, I'd name that guildmage the "meh" guildmage, as it will most likely not have any constructed impact

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aurelia's fury is going to be the money card for sure I'm predicting 35-40 bucks out of the gate and maybe topping 60 bucks it such a bomb card in any format.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    That's definitely not the best guildmage. Simic and dimir are both really strong. Dimir can get you instakills by turn 3-4 in modern, less in legacy and will power out many new strategies.
    Considering the first ability is three mana, how the hell do you get a "turn 3-4 victory" over making them lose a couple life?

Though I forgot about the Simic mage. Definitely the best one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kald View Post
    This thread has piqued my interest in MtG again. I'm an old school player (began in unlimited and played through to around Kamigawa). Are block constructed and draft still the main tournament mainstays?
    What's the protour/organised tourney scene like nowadays?

and lastly...can anyone point me to a great type 1 deck list (Type 1 is old speak for allowing cards from all sets but with a banned + restricted list. I know it's not called Type 1 anymore). I just found a club in my area and I'm considering showing off old cards.

Thanks
    Quoting for the same has happened with me. I started back in 94/95 with 3rd and 4th Edition. Not quite sure exactly when I started but I ha a lot f 3rd and 4th hand me downs from my cousin. I played a lot during Ice Age though. Stopped playing from 98-02 and started up again until Champions of Kamigawa. Just bought some M13 starters and a half box of varied boosters. Don't think I'll be doing any tournaments or whatnot, just some table games at home with the gf.

I've seen a few sites mentioned in this thread, but where should I be concentrating some time for deck building hints/strategizing?
    wyrd bið ful aræd

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rolo4804 View Post

I've seen a few sites mentioned in this thread, but where should I be concentrating some time for deck building hints/strategizing?
    I use MTGSalvation.com for any news. I'm not sure about the rest, but they have an active forum. I tend to build decks without much outside influence, which is probably why I only play casual.

If you still have some of those 3rd/4th/Ice Age cards, you might have some that could fetch a hefty price.

Also, since you haven't played in a long time, you'll have to catch up on the rules. It's not a flat "here's the rules" site, but this blog is cool because they explain things in detail. http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-01-12 at 09:29 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love Magic:the gathering - Dual of the Planeswalker for xbox. Does anyone know if there a phone app for it, or basically any MtG phone game app. I have a lot of free time at work and need something to play on my phone.

edit: i should clarify i'm not looking for a life counter app or a deck builder app. Just want a game to play.
    Last edited by Baristan; 2013-01-12 at 09:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was wondering about a certain card combo as I looked through the Venser deck. Vanish into Memory working with Windreaver. If Windreaver was changed into a 3/1 and then exiled, you draw three cards, of course. but when does the spell check for its toughness? It will come back in as a 1/3, so would you discard one card?