Poll: See below

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I don't really care to be quite honest. I stumbled upon a former friend of mine who suddenly went through a massive personality change a while back which led to certain people in his life breaking all connections with him. So we started talking. Eventually I realized that he wanted to catch up with me, but I was definitely not interested so I just said "I'll call you sometime" to end the conversation immediately. Does that make me a bad person? Yes. Couldn't care less tho.

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Oh we should catch up sometime, it really means oh its good to see you, i have nothing else to say i must be going now.

Pretty much. Because if I wanted to talk to and/or catch up with you, I already would have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Meh, mildly irritating but not that annoying. Just one of those token gestures people make.

What annoys me more is when someone I know from the UK messages me on facebook -
    "Hey! I'm going to be in Amsterdam tomorrow, want to meet up?!"
    "Great! Have a great time, but I can't meet up because YOU LEFT IT UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE TO INFORM ME AND I ALREADY HAVE PLANS, MORON!"
    Ok, maybe I don't quite word it like that... but that's what I'm thinking >.>
    Hahaha, poor guy

Deleted
    mosts of the posts:
    tl;dr. (if already mentioned, well, every day is a repost day.)

focussing on ops post, specially:
    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
    People say "We need to hang out!!" then never contact you.
    Vast majority of the time, in my experience, it's girls doing this.
    [...](
    women are NOT crazy. women just ARE this way. and you will have to manage and change ur habits urself.
    sure, there ARE women that take the initiative. but hell, thats the minority of the minority of the minority.
    its you wholl have to grow some balls and invite them actively.
    but first, make up your mind what you want to do. just calling them and going on with the yadda-yadda "oh, i dunno what to do, you decide" for hours wont get you anywhere (besides friendzone) and yes, i know exactly where this thread is headed.

also: (and this is important) if from an observers point of view, you and your object of desire dont match at all, thisll only be one-sided.

any yeah, apostrophes and stuff, i know. im plain lazy.

It used to get on my nerves but then I woke up one morning and realized that I just don't give a shit about anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    No, those are exactly the same. People who said how are you don't give a crap about how you actually are. People who say good to see you don't actually think it's any good to see you. It's as crappy and meaningless as saying "we should hang out".
    Feigning interest in how someone is doing is a lot better than feigning interest in hanging out with them or meeting up. Saying "we should hang out sometime" implies that you want to follow up where "how are you" "how have you been" leaves it very cleanly wrapped up with no potential for misinterpretation.

Also, when I ask how people are doing, I'm genuinely interested. If I know I don't have time to potentially listen to them I'll say it's good to see you and then tell them I'm in a hurry.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    Feigning interest in how someone is doing is a lot better than feigning interest in hanging out with them or meeting up. Saying "we should hang out sometime" implies that you want to follow up where "how are you" "how have you been" leaves it very cleanly wrapped up with no potential for misinterpretation.
    It's a matter of different social etiquettes. You only accept "how are you" as such because you expect it to be; other social circles can to treat "we should hang out sometimes" in the exact same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    It bothers me much more when people I don't really care about all that much but still enough so I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings or get rid of completely want to hang out too much and just don't take any (made up) excuse. I'm busy, I have to study, Im not feeling too well always ends with what about 8 then instead of 6? Or what about tomorrow same time.. or I could come over instead. Why cant they just get the hint.
    Try not lying and misleading instead.
    This whole hinting nonsense is rediculous to begin with, you're most likely talking to adults who can handle a clear answer better than having to read your mind to know you mean B when you say A.

Same goes with the ''we should hang out sometimes.''
    Half the people you say this to will misunderstand and think you mean what you say.
    It's not polite, it's retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    I'm shy and lack the courage to invite someone out, even if they are close friends. So yeah it does anger me a bit.
    Thats not being shy O: Go see a psychiatrist.

OT: If people say they want to hang out they might just be polite or dont even think about it, unless they set a date immediately i just dismiss it

Yeah girls do that the most.

And no it doesnt bother me, cause i just stalk'em.
    Joking joking, naaah it doesnt bother, if i notice i havent hanged out for ages with someone i will make time to, instead of expecting them to come to me.
    Maybe you think they mean that they will hang out more with you instead of "hey, we exist, what about saying hi time to time?"

Deleted
    I've done it a few times. I bump into an old friend who I haven't seen for a while, after 5mins of awkwardness I just say we should hang out to kill the conversation. Doesn't really bother me when other people say it. It's usually a relief.

No, those are exactly the same. People who said how are you don't give a crap about how you actually are. People who say good to see you don't actually think it's any good to see you. It's as crappy and meaningless as saying "we should hang out".
    Some of us are actually interested in the answer when we ask someone how they are.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexo View Post
    Try not lying and misleading instead.
    This whole hinting nonsense is rediculous to begin with, you're most likely talking to adults who can handle a clear answer better than having to read your mind to know you mean B when you say A.

Same goes with the ''we should hang out sometimes.''
    Half the people you say this to will misunderstand and think you mean what you say.
    It's not polite, it's retarded.
    It's not supposed to be polite, it's just a way of saying "not interested but I still want to keep you around to talk in college and maybe you can sometimes buy me a drink after or help with some assignment". If I just directly told them I wasn't interested in inviting them over (ever) or that I preferred my.. um, "real friends" for that or that they were just nice to talk to sometimes but I wasn't interested in anything further.. Well, they probably wouldn't even talk to me after that or I'd have to do a lot of apologizing later and blame some "mood". It's better to avoid that and just tell the little white lies, I think

I know it sounds kinda shallow or even bitchy but the truth is, you can only have so many friends you hang out with. Does it mean I should just stop talking to everyone once the limit is reached? Besides, if someone told you "I like talking with you in school to pass the time but don't want to be your friend or anything", how would you feel and could you have a friendly talk with that person again?

It's called being polite...
    If they don't intend to hang out, how is it polite to not be honest?

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Some of us are actually interested in the answer when we ask someone how they are.
    Well, you guys are strange or weird

But you know most people aren't really expecting an answer besides "good".

10+ Year Old Account
    People have done that to me all my life, I'm really over it.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Well, you guys are strange or weird

But you know most people aren't really expecting an answer besides "good".
    I get that a lot from my wife. Yeah, most people don't, but I'm of the mindset if I didn't care i wouldn't have asked. "Hi," works really well in those situations where i want to greet someone impersonally.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

It annoys me if someone agrees to something and doesn't honour that, same if someone's late etc.

People being late is one of my biggest peeves.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I get that a lot from my wife. Yeah, most people don't, but I'm of the mindset if I didn't care i wouldn't have asked. "Hi," works really well in those situations where i want to greet someone impersonally.
    The problem is that because most people don't, most people don't answer truthfully either. I've unloaded on people who innocently asked me how I'm doing before and I could see fear and outrage in their eyes as they are totally taken aback by me not saying "fine"

Deleted
    I am one of those who does it, i usually say it to people that i don't really want to hang out with. It's just something most people say before splitting off (after the conversation) to make it less awkward or something i think, atleast that is how it is for me.
    Last edited by mmoc12b394f111; 2013-01-11 at 01:40 PM.