I have a Problem !!!

Friends,
    I'm Sooraj Kumar, 18 years from India. I have been learning Kick Boxing for past 3 months in All India Pro Kickboxing & Muay Thai Academy and my master is the President of Kickboxing association of India. Once I got into Kickboxing i developed a interest into it and every time I practice im getting deeply focused into it. And now I want to participate in Kickboxing tournaments once my Kickboxing coarse is complete. My parents have already told me to not to participate into fights, my girlfriend is advincing the same thing. They keep telling me that its risky, you might get severely hurt, injured etc. And i know that clearly and im still willing to take risk.

However my focus on life is not to become a kickboxing champion. I'm an MBA student and want to become an entrepreneur. I just want to participate in couple of tournaments to get satisfied get some medals and trophies etc. At first when i began pursuing Kickboxing my intention was to learn a martial art, self defense, and to get into a good exercise but ever since I got into tournaments the way i used perceive has been changed.

And friends, this is India and here parents always dominate their kids even if they become adults. How can I convince my Parents & Girlfriend. Or do you think since my ambition is totally different is it pointless to participate in tournaments. For the record till now i never had any tournament experience but I watched tons of Kickboxing matches in Stadiums. I need your help on this. Give me your opinions.

Thanks in advance for your info.

Tell them that if you win and get money you will buy them a lot of chicken. Indians like chicken. with curry.
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

It's simple... Don't let your parents dominate you. You're an adult with free will, if they don't respect what you want to do then tell them to fuck themselves.

If it's something you want to do then do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    It's simple... Don't let your parents dominate you. You're an adult with free will, if they don't respect what you want to do then tell them to fuck themselves.
    India does not work that way. Also he doesn't sound like he's economically independant.

Do some small scale tournaments, tell them this is just a hobby and that tournaments are a way to get fights. You'll see if you want to go up from there or maybe just remain at that level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Gohan View Post
    Friends,
    I'm Sooraj Kumar, 18 years from India. I have been learning Kick Boxing for past 3 months in All India Pro Kickboxing & Muay Thai.

However my focus on life is not to become a kickboxing champion. I'm an MBA student and want to become an entrepreneur. I just want to participate in couple of tournaments to get satisfied get some medals and trophies etc.

Honestly, after 3 months of training you're not going to be able to get medals. Your parents and gf are right, focus on whats important, your studies. If you have free time keep training but consider it a hobby, not something you do for trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    Honestly, after 3 months of training you're not going to be able to get medals. Your parents and gf are right, focus on whats important, your studies. If you have free time keep training but consider it a hobby, not something you do for trophies.
    First of all thanks for your opinion. Yeah i know 3 months training is not sufficient but i mentioned that i will participate in tournaments only after completing my kickboxing training completely which might take an year or so. But I know a guy named Ashish Devan who studies in my same college (senior to me). He got training from the same master from whom im getting trained, he just got trained for 4 months and he won inter-college kick boxing competition in our city.

Deleted
    i agree with this. Also if your parents are really strict and/or stubborn your gonna have to put some serious effort into persuading them

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsidedj View Post
    Tell them that if you win and get money you will buy them a lot of chicken. Indians like chicken. with curry.
    LOL. But its true that Indians are obsessed with Curries

10+ Year Old Account
    Well normally it would be like Palmatum say, but in your case try telling them that you already thought about the risks but you want to do it, even try making a deal with them, try telling them, "Let me participate one tournament and then you can see by yourself if i should leave it or should keep trying it"

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post

If it's something you want to do then do it.
    Indian parents dominate and my parents aren't an exception but in this case my parents are only requesting me telling that not to take. Once i complete my MBA only i can get a job and become economically independent. If they try to dominate i can rebel & win over but i dont know how to win over their affection.

I dont know how it works in India but here (the Netherlands) we have:
    N class (new)
    C class
    B class
    A class

All N class fights are with headgear and I think C class as well. Furthermore, they tend to not play around with injuries. Small cuts or remotely groggy and it is TKO. If this is the case in India, perhaps you should bring your father to one of the (lower class) matches so he can see. It is not K1/Glory fighting tournament right away plus Japanese like to keep the fights going for too long

[...] focus on whats important, your studies [...]
    Why do I read this statement (or similar ones) so often? Did you guys commit 100% of your free time to your studies when you were at college/university (like 14*7 hours per week)? That would be complete overkill, unless you're dumb and need to do that much in order to stay on track. In which case you should probably choose a different carreer path.

Unless you meant the injuries, which are a valid argument but not as risky as they make it sound imo.
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2013-01-11 at 02:14 PM.

Are you not already sparing?, if not try that im sure with some head gear and what not you should be fine, not to sure how they do it in India but amateur fights use all the protection such as head gear and what not. If you take it that one step further and fight in a proper match, go for it, i doubt you will die in an amateur fight but if you do fight someone don't hesitate and give it all you got.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Gohan View Post
    Indian parents dominate and my parents aren't an exception but in this case my parents are only requesting me telling that not to take. Once i complete my MBA only i can get a job and become economically independent. If they try to dominate i can rebel & win over but i dont know how to win over their affection.
    In uni I was big into boxing but my mother didn't like it (whether my mother's concerns were groundless or not i won't get into) and guess what I was happy to stop boxing, the sacrifice i made was not a big deal when compared to my mother's relief. I'd say your parents are more important than a hobby, try to convince them, and if you can't, stop doing kb.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    I dont know how it works in India but here (the Netherlands) we have:
    N class (new)
    C class
    B class
    A class

All N class fights are with headgear and I think C class as well. Furthermore, they tend to not play around with injuries. Small cuts or remotely groggy and it is TKO. If this is the case in India, perhaps you should bring your father to one of the (lower class) matches so he can see. It is not K1/Glory fighting tournament right away plus Japanese like to keep the fights going for too long
    Inter-college martial arts city championship tournament will commence during this year september and there aint any head gears used in indian boxing or kickboxing. Its only used among females. Rules are pretty tough here in India even for beginners. But if i can make it in the upcoming competition it will be a breakthrough in my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepsidedj View Post
    I like chicken with curry too.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Weren't you 27 years old just a few months ago? I need to know this secret!

Closing.