Need suggestions on how to...

Cut out bad and unnecessary foods in my diet AND, not be lazy about going to the gym. Is there anything that any of you do to push your self to the gym? I'll get a membership somewhere, go 4 times a week for a month, then a month later go once a week.

About the food, I have a hard time actually filling my self up to the point where I don't want to eat anymore. I can eat a large pizza to my self and sometimes eat more.

Is there any foods I can eat through out the day to be satisfied up until dinner? And then when dinner rolls around, I can have a simple meal and be full. (Not want more food after eating)

I'm a bigger guy. I'm 6 feet and weigh 240lbs, but am very muscular as well. The gut is the problem, and it needs to go.

Any suggestions on how you push your self to the gym on a regular basis, and how to maintain a good, healthy diet without eating the junk and over excessive food that I don't need?

-Regards

Carrots are a good thing for me to snack on to avoid eating bad food. They're good for you and they're rather filling IMO. Bannanas are also good and I remember reading once that there's something in the scent of Bananas that make your brain think you're full.

As for going to the gym, that's all willpower. There's nothing you can really do about that other than decide you need to go.

15+ Year Old Account
    First, how old are you, that makes a difference in what and how much you eat that will be filling.

As far as the gym...pssssh dont waste the money, get a set of dumbells and hand weights, do some lifting in your own home and jog 2-3 miles a day at least, you'll stay trim and fit.

Look at me...I need to do this as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Carrots are a good thing for me to snack on to avoid eating bad food. They're good for you and they're rather filling IMO. Bannanas are also good and I remember reading once that there's something in the scent of Bananas that make your brain think you're full.

As for going to the gym, that's all willpower. There's nothing you can really do about that other than decide you need to go.
    I need to start snacking on veggies for lunch. I want to have a good breakfast and a good dinner.

I hate coming home for lunch from work and I make a whole box of kraft dinner. -_-

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 08:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    First, how old are you, that makes a difference in what and how much you eat that will be filling.

As far as the gym...pssssh dont waste the money, get a set of dumbells and hand weights, do some lifting in your own home and jog 2-3 miles a day at least, you'll stay trim and fit.

Look at me...I need to do this as well
    I'm 23 as of tomorrow.

And, I live up north in Canada, it's hard to jog here in the winter without freezing my ass off. I usually need the indoor gym in the winter.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    u could try gym-pact app lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Might try fitocracy for motivation. Gain points via workouts to level up, do quests, get achievements, etc. Fitness as an RPG.

Looks cool, I don't have an iPhone unfortunately. Looks like I don't necessarily need one though?

First of all, 240 lbs for 6 feet is a lot(googled it, we use metric system here). I mean it. Unless you have %10 body fat with a astounding amount of muscle, you need to lose some weight and you need to do it now. Don't fool yourself with "i'm muscular". I know it because I did that. I used to be a swimmer. Well I had a nice body and all but when I stopped swimming I gained weight. A lot of it. Yeah, I was still "muscular", I wasn't showing the weight but there it was. I'm telling you that because I've been there and I truly know how to get out of there.

But over the course of 3 months I managed to lose 18 kgs, by going to gym 6 days a week and a strong diet. By strong diet I mean 1- no fast food 2- (very) little carb 3- no garbage. That's about it. You need willpower that is true, but trust me, if you really push yourself in gym, you DON'T have to worry about your food. Because when you get back from gym sweating like a pig you'll probably say to yourself "I just did all that and I shouldn't eat like that". I've lost 2-3kg's worth of sweat every workout. Trust me after that you don't want it to go to waste.

Then I stopped going to gym, I've lost 10 more kg's over the course of a year. Last 4 months I've been going to the gym 5 times a week and now at the exact same weight I have %9 bodyfat and I have a healthy V shaped body. It feels awesome. It looks great. People you meet or you used to know always compliment you, it's a big ego booster aswell. The only downside is none of my old clothes fit anymore. I can live with that.

About pushing yourself to the gym, it's all in your head. There will be some days that you know that you should be going to the gym but you'll just wanna slack. There you'll need to man up and count that one as a responsibility. You're a man, you're dedicated and you will do it. You'll do it for yourself. Now go there and torture yourself for the greater good

The hardest thing about the whole thing IMO is sweets. I have a strong problem about em, quite sure you have too. For that, we have cereal! I'm serious. Cereal has low calorie, is sweet and has milk -which is always good for protein intake- I always eat cereal when I have the crazy urge to eat a whole bigass cake or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frigoffrick View Post
    Looks cool, I don't have an iPhone unfortunately. Looks like I don't necessarily need one though?
    gympact is also on android.

Fitocracy also has apps for both.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...3JhY3kuYXBwIl0.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fito...509253726?mt=8

Quote Originally Posted by Archiul View Post
    First of all, 240 lbs for 6 feet is a lot(googled it, we use metric system here). I mean it. Unless you have %10 body fat with a astounding amount of muscle, you need to lose some weight and you need to do it now. Don't fool yourself with "i'm muscular". I know it because I did that. I used to be a swimmer. Well I had a nice body and all but when I stopped swimming I gained weight. A lot of it. Yeah, I was still "muscular", I wasn't showing the weight but there it was. I'm telling you that because I've been there and I truly know how to get out of there.

But over the course of 3 months I managed to lose 18 kgs, by going to gym 6 days a week and a strong diet. By strong diet I mean 1- no fast food 2- (very) little carb 3- no garbage. That's about it. You need willpower that is true, but trust me, if you really push yourself in gym, you DON'T have to worry about your food. Because when you get back from gym sweating like a pig you'll probably say to yourself "I just did all that and I shouldn't eat like that". I've lost 2-3kg's worth of sweat every workout. Trust me after that you don't want it to go to waste.

Then I stopped going to gym, I've lost 10 more kg's over the course of a year. Last 4 months I've been going to the gym 5 times a week and now at the exact same weight I have %9 bodyfat and I have a healthy V shaped body. It feels awesome. It looks great. People you meet or you used to know always compliment you, it's a big ego booster aswell. The only downside is none of my old clothes fit anymore. I can live with that.

About pushing yourself to the gym, it's all in your head. There will be some days that you know that you should be going to the gym but you'll just wanna slack. There you'll need to man up and count that one as a responsibility. You're a man, you're dedicated and you will do it. You'll do it for yourself. Now go there and torture yourself for the greater good

The hardest thing about the whole thing IMO is sweets. I have a strong problem about em, quite sure you have too. For that, we have cereal! I'm serious. Cereal has low calorie, is sweet and has milk -which is always good for protein intake- I always eat cereal when I have the crazy urge to eat a whole bigass cake or something.
    Thanks for this post man, I really appreciate it. It makes me wanna hit the gym right now... of course I have 2 hours of work left.

I know it's always been will power and just getting your ass to the gym, and making the right decisions before you eat shitty food.

Deleted
    The reason why you aren't feeling full is because you seem to be eating massive portions ("I can eat a large pizza to my self and sometimes eat more."). Your stomach must be so stretched from the big portions that you just won't feel full with a normal sized dinner. Drink a glass of water before every meal, it helps making you feel satisfied a lot faster. And take your time with eating! Put the utensils down between bites and chew 15-20 times. It takes a while for our brain to actually register that we are getting full, so slowing down the entire eating process will help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Archiul View Post
    First of all, 240 lbs for 6 feet is a lot(googled it, we use metric system here). I mean it. Unless you have %10 body fat with a astounding amount of muscle, you need to lose some weight and you need to do it now. Don't fool yourself with "i'm muscular". I know it because I did that. I used to be a swimmer. Well I had a nice body and all but when I stopped swimming I gained weight. A lot of it. Yeah, I was still "muscular", I wasn't showing the weight but there it was. I'm telling you that because I've been there and I truly know how to get out of there. .
    Don't be ridiculous. It's overweight sure but you're making it sound a lot worse than it is. You're probably going by the silly stupid measurements that the governments put out that say that you should be 160-170 pounds. I'm 6'1 and weigh about the same. It's not that much weight. I know I need to lose it but I'm not obese like the government likes to claim. I've been 180 before and I was super skinny, not healthily so. 200 pounds is a good healthy weight for my height.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    My tips would be:

Do a mixture of cardio and resistance training. You're already muscular, so make sure you hold onto that by doing weights while those, and the cardio, along with a good dieet, help you get rid of the belly. Also - try to make the exercise into a routine. Like every Monday/Wednesday/Friday you'll go to the gym for cardio, every Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday you'll do your resistance training, or however you want to split it. But for me I find sticking to a set pattern helps somehow. I'll draw up my schedule and then just follow it each day. So if it's a Monday I know I'm going out running, or on a Thursday I'm doing cardio at the gym or whatever.

It might help you to record everything afterwards, like on a spreadsheet. Your times, distance or level on cardio, and weights/sets/reps used on your exercises for resistance training. Then when you miss a day it'll be there to remind you and you'll feel a little guilty, and hopefully miss less in future! Like people have said though, both that and sticking to a good diet are largely down to willpower and personal motivation.

You could also agree to go and work out with a friend, so you're less likely to miss a session that way since you'll be letting them down. Works for some people.

As far as diet: Well you probably know mainly the sort of stuff you should be eating. Mostly leaner proteins, wholegrain stuff, lots of fruit and vegetables. Don't go protein crazy though! Most people eat too much of it and think low carb everything is the way to go. Fruit, vegetables, and high GI carbohydrates, as well as the right amount of protein will all help you feel full for longer.

One good tip for the unhealthy food though is to give yourself a break one day a week. So rather than saying "I'll quit chocolate/McDonalds/coke for three months", quit them - but allow yourself a treat one day a week. It'll give you something to look forward to and is much easier to stick to. Plus your diet won't feel so boring.

Regarding height and weight - as you recognise yourself, 240lb at 6ft is definitely overweight, maybe obese, unless you're exceptionally muscular. But it's not a major problem to get down to a healthy weight (at least under 200lb) from there once you get started. I'd aim to lose about 1-3lb a week, but the main thing is to keep at it, slow and steady. You're much more likely to keep the weight off that way than losing it too fast.

Also, since you are muscular, you may want to try another measure of body health rather than height and weight. Body fat percentage if you can get an accurate measurement, or, easier still, waist to hip ratio. It's actually a pretty good indicator of health risks, and all you need is a tape measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldred View Post
    My tips would be:

Do a mixture of cardio and resistance training. You're already muscular, so make sure you hold onto that by doing weights while those, and the cardio, along with a good dieet, help you get rid of the belly. Also - try to make the exercise into a routine. Like every Monday/Wednesday/Friday you'll go to the gym for cardio, every Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday you'll do your resistance training, or however you want to split it. But for me I find sticking to a set pattern helps somehow. I'll draw up my schedule and then just follow it each day. So if it's a Monday I know I'm going out running, or on a Thursday I'm doing cardio at the gym or whatever.

It might help you to record everything afterwards, like on a spreadsheet. Your times, distance or level on cardio, and weights/sets/reps used on your exercises for resistance training. Then when you miss a day it'll be there to remind you and you'll feel a little guilty, and hopefully miss less in future! Like people have said though, both that and sticking to a good diet are largely down to willpower and personal motivation.

You could also agree to go and work out with a friend, so you're less likely to miss a session that way since you'll be letting them down. Works for some people.

As far as diet: Well you probably know mainly the sort of stuff you should be eating. Mostly leaner proteins, wholegrain stuff, lots of fruit and vegetables. Don't go protein crazy though! Most people eat too much of it and think low carb everything is the way to go. Fruit, vegetables, and high GI carbohydrates, as well as the right amount of protein will all help you feel full for longer.

One good tip for the unhealthy food though is to give yourself a break one day a week. So rather than saying "I'll quit chocolate/McDonalds/coke for three months", quit them - but allow yourself a treat one day a week. It'll give you something to look forward to and is much easier to stick to. Plus your diet won't feel so boring.

Regarding height and weight - as you recognise yourself, 240lb at 6ft is definitely overweight, maybe obese, unless you're exceptionally muscular. But it's not a major problem to get down to a healthy weight (at least under 200lb) from there once you get started. I'd aim to lose about 1-3lb a week, but the main thing is to keep at it, slow and steady. You're much more likely to keep the weight off that way than losing it too fast.

Also, since you are muscular, you may want to try another measure of body health rather than height and weight. Body fat percentage if you can get an accurate measurement, or, easier still, waist to hip ratio. It's actually a pretty good indicator of health risks, and all you need is a tape measure.
    Thanks for the response, man. I just need to get there. I need to slap my self in the face and get my ass to the gym, as well as smartening up on what I eat.

I just recently switched local gyms, and I'm having a hard time getting into the routines I used to do, so maybe I'll sit down one day and write everything out that I need to do for specific days.

Quote Originally Posted by frigoffrick View Post
    Thanks for the response, man. I just need to get there. I need to slap my self in the face and get my ass to the gym, as well as smartening up on what I eat.

I just recently switched local gyms, and I'm having a hard time getting into the routines I used to do, so maybe I'll sit down one day and write everything out that I need to do for specific days.
    Yeah basically the response you need is to just do it.

I lost almost 20 lbs last year, but i needed Knee surgery so that kinda stopped how much exercise I could do.

Especially if you can find some sort of exercise you like it will make it much easier. I love biking, and can easily go for 2 hour rides after I get off work.

I realized for me that I can't really limit what I eat, because I just like food and eating too much, but I try to then change what I eat to healthier stuff. I also didn't completely cut out soda, but I try to limit it so when I do have it, its really a treat.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, those are some good tips too!

If you're having a hard time getting started you could always do things gradually - like change one eating habit each week, start doing one type of exercise once per week on any day you feel more motivated to do it, then add to that week by week until you have your whole diet/exercise program going. Works better in some cases. Sometimes people will do the opposite where they're super hyped about getting into shape and go crazy on everything, start a super strict diet, etc - especially at this time of year. But then it's all too much and they quit two weeks later. Don't be one of those people!

Sounds like you have the right frame of mind about things anyway, I'm sure you'll get where you want to be.