Meat
    Bread
    Sometimes fruit
    Less than sometimes chips/crisps
    Rice
    Vegetables now and then
    So you mean what everyone eats?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    So you mean what everyone eats?
    I guess, though nobody eats as much eggs or meat as me yearly.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 10:29 AM ----------

Oh and I love chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbz View Post
    What you say isnt completely wrong, but the context is pretty off. There is claims that eating regulary throughout the day keeps your metabolism high. There is also claims that it doesnt matter as much.

What plays the biggest role is that if you skip main meals (such as breakfast) your bloodsugar will be low and you are more likely to snack on unhealthy foods. This is what cause the overweight.
    Then you need to spend some more time talking to your professors about how metabolism works.

Weight loss is tied to your total calorie intake over the day, so you cant just mindlessly eating just because its now 6 meals instead of 2 or 3.
    I never said it wasn't, and if you notice I said if you eat 2 "healthy" meals a day and spread it out, it will be of more benefit. I never said to eat mindlessly 6 times a day.

But please stop with the "body is eating your muscles" - it's part of _extreme_ case scenarios. Fat can't be turned it to muscle, its too different type of body tissue.
    *looks back*

When the hell did I ever say that?

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 02:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    I guess, though nobody eats as much eggs or meat as me yearly.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 10:29 AM ----------

Oh and I love chocolate.
    Nothing wrong with eating eggs and meat. Just make sure it's lean meat, and eggs don't really have a lot of fat in them, just people tend to eat them with high fat foods like cheese, bacon, etc. The main thing with eggs is the cholesterol. Some people don't have much of a problem with cholesterol, others do, so make sure it's not a problem for you.

Ok I am going to tell you something weird, and this is not made up, or trolling:

I remember a vacation some months ago, I did nothing but NOT exercise and eat more than normally.

I lost some weight. Now I didn't weigh myself but it was visible in the mirror that I lost a bit, not noticable to other people though because of clothes and all.

I am a 19 year old male, 5,9 and 242 pounds or 110kg (may be a bit less now)

Now, after the vacation, I was back to being overweight. (like I always was)

Now, when we got the holidays off last month for 2 weeks, once again I started to eat a lot, once again, I lost some weight, this time however I think I retained the weight loss.

Now of course I realize this is not the way to lose weight, but what is going on here, when I eat normally (which is still a tad bit too much) I stay normal, I don't lose nor gain weight. (still overweight though)

But when I eat more, I lose some weight.

I started last week anyway and going strong by reducing calorie intake and going jogging once in a while. Really it's going well except yesterday I had a coughing fit and could breath very hard after jogging. (But I think this is exercise induced asthma)

According to an online calculator, to maintain my current weight (which is wrong to do) I am eating 2700 kcal a day. Over eating, but luckily not to extreme amounts.

My question: How did I lose weight every time

Also in before: you have a worm. :P
    Sigh. This thread is full of stupid.

You lost water weight while on vacation. It is fairly common to lose weight while not exercising even if you think you are eating a lot. While you say you may be able to see that you are skinnier, considering how obese you are I have no idea how you could possibly tell. I cannot tell when I lose 5 lbs and I am around 10% body fat. I tend to feel like I am eating a ton when I am not exercising even though I am actually eating less.

Eating small meals a day has been proven time and time again not to cause weight loss through increased metabolic rates. It has been shown to cause weight loss through behavioral pattern changes. People who eat breakfast and eat regularly are less likely to binge eat. People who don't eat before sleeping are likely to not binge eat the next day to compensate. These are behavioral changes. Eating 2000 calories in one meal is no more fattening than eating 200 calories in 10 meals. Blood sugar levels are only important in so far as they effect your lepton levels.

Now, dietitians are told to tell their clients that "you should eat breakfast and eat small meals frequently in order to lose weight" and some may misleadingly even say "eating small meals a day will cause you to lose weight" but these statements are made in the context of human behavioral science and not metabolic science. It is true that for the vast majority of people, eating small deals a day and eating breakfast will help them lose weight. It is not true that it will help you lose weight to do these things if you count calories and stay vigilant otherwise. It may make you feel more satiated if you do, though.

Something you should realize is that "nutritionists" and "dietitians" do not need any formal training in the field to label themselves as such. They can take a small training course and call themselves these things. In order to make sure your expert actually has a deep education in the field, it is important to look to see whether he or she is a "registered nutritionist" or "registered dietitian". I know some high school graduates who took a 3 hour seminar by some bro science morons who then proceeded to legally call themselves nutritionists and sell their services to the population. The only restriction on "nutritionists"? They cannot give you a specific meal plan to follow. They can only give you general advice.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-01-13 at 11:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post

You lost water weight while on vacation. It is fairly common to lose weight while not exercising even if you are eating more. While you say you may be able to see that you are skinnier, considering how obese you are I have no idea how you could possibly tell. I cannot tell when I lose 5 lbs and I am around 10% body fat.
    Thank you for you insult. Move on now.

Thank you for you insult. Move on now.
    I was mostly insulting the other people in this thread who is filling your mind with bro science.

You, yourself, have made multiple threads that are similar to this liking your body to some special butterfly over the past year and tend to ask the same questions over and over. One would think you would learn that, as you said earlier in this thread, the small meals a day increasing your metabolism idea is indeed a myth caused by a misreading of some pretty poorly done experiments. But nonetheless you keep making these threads.

You are human. You should understand that your observations with your eyes are not objective and are not a good measure of anything. You should not trust your eyes. You should not trust your brain when it tells you you are eating a ton while on vacation. You should know that your body will not tell you the truth. You should trust in the science studies more than you trust in yourself. To that end, if you want to make a science experiment for yourself, weigh yourself every day while monitoring your salt intake and calorie intake. Average things on a weekly basis and see if your meal frequency has any bearing on your weight loss.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-01-13 at 11:18 AM.

Deleted
    I was mostly insulting the other people in this thread who is filling your mind with bro science.

You, yourself, have made multiple threads that are similar to this liking your body to some special butterfly over the past year and tend to ask the same questions over and over. One would think you would learn that, as you said earlier in this thread, the small meals a day increasing your metabolism idea is indeed a myth caused by a misreading of some pretty poorly done experiments. But nonetheless you keep making these threads.
    So according to you it is just water weight?

Interesting.

Oh please, sincerely remembering my post history and using that as a weapon? I know I am fat, resolved to do something about it.

Deleted

You lost water weight while on vacation. It is fairly common to lose weight while not exercising even if you think you are eating a lot. While you say you may be able to see that you are skinnier, considering how obese you are I have no idea how you could possibly tell. I cannot tell when I lose 5 lbs and I am around 10% body fat. I tend to feel like I am eating a ton when I am not exercising even though I am actually eating less.

Eating small meals a day has been proven time and time again not to cause weight loss through increased metabolic rates. It has been shown to cause weight loss through behavioral pattern changes. People who eat breakfast and eat regularly are less likely to binge eat. People who don't eat before sleeping are likely to not binge eat the next day to compensate. These are behavioral changes. Eating 2000 calories in one meal is no more fattening than eating 200 calories in 10 meals. Blood sugar levels are only important in so far as they effect your lepton levels.

Now, dietitians are told to tell their clients that "you should eat breakfast and eat small meals frequently in order to lose weight" and some may misleadingly even say "eating small meals a day will cause you to lose weight" but these statements are made in the context of human behavioral science and not metabolic science. It is true that for the vast majority of people, eating small deals a day and eating breakfast will help them lose weight. It is not true that it will help you lose weight to do these things if you count calories and stay vigilant otherwise. It may make you feel more satiated if you do, though.

Something you should realize is that "nutritionists" and "dietitians" do not need any formal training in the field to label themselves as such. They can take a small training course and call themselves these things. In order to make sure your expert actually has a deep education in the field, it is important to look to see whether he or she is a "registered nutritionist" or "registered dietitian". I know some high school graduates who took a 3 hour seminar by some bro science morons who then proceeded to legally call themselves nutritionists and sell their services to the population. The only restriction on "nutritionists"? They cannot give you a specific meal plan to follow. They can only give you general advice.

How can you disregard that bloodsugar modifies your appetite? It has a huge impact on eating patterns. Other than that i agree more or less. I guess that dietician isn't a "protected title" where you are from, since everyone can use the title.

EDIT: Dieticians aren't told to tell their clients anything. They have to use their brain and look at the clients individually.[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 12:23 PM ----------
    Last edited by mmocdce2114f01; 2013-01-13 at 11:24 AM.

How can you disregard that bloodsugar modifies your appetite? It has a huge impact on eating patterns. Other than that i agree more or less. I guess that dietician isn't a "protected title" where you are from, since everyone can use the title.

EDIT: Dieticians aren't told to tell their clients anything. They have to use their brain and look at the clients individually.
    Because your body's response to low blood sugar is to decrease leptin levels which then causes you to feel hungrier. But not everyone responds to the same blood sugar levels the same (diabetics come to mind). Most everyone responds to high leptin levels the same.

When I say "dieticians are told to tell their clients" I mean that in the more colloquial sense that "many dieticians are educated in such a way that they believe they should tell their clients." It doesn't mean someone is sitting any given dietician down and telling him or her exactly what to say.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-01-13 at 11:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    You've got a fast metabolism, it's usually a good thing but hard if you're actually trying to put on weight. I used to be the same around your age, but now it's caught upto me and I've started to gain weight normally.
    This pretty much. I am constantly stuck on 75kg +- (Yet I eat very unhealthy and are too much of a slob to work out).
    The only time I really gained much weight was when I was in the army and was forced to work out daily.
    I think i gained about 20kg of muscles in boot camp, I was faaaar more healthy then than now.
    I did however eat more at that time, all the exercise made me constantly hungry.
    Without exercise I just fill up faster, and with my metabolism even tho I basically live on pizza and never work out I never gain weight.

Deleted
    Because your body's response to low blood sugar is to decrease leptin levels which then causes you to feel hungrier. But not everyone responds to the same blood sugar levels the same (diabetics come to mind). Most everyone responds to high leptin levels the same.

When I say "dieticians are told to tell their clients" I mean that in the more colloquial sense that "many dieticians are educated in such a way that they believe they should tell their clients." It doesn't mean someone is sitting any given dietician down and telling him or her exactly what to say.
    Telling a client or anyone for that matter to eat breakfast is a great advice. It's not strictly tied to human behavioural patterns as i has an actual influence on the scientific part of a human being.

Saying that eating 2000 calories in one meal is the same as eating 10 meals of 200 calories is simplifieng a subject, that is a lot more nuanced. I'm pretty sure you realise that as well.

"People who don't eat before sleeping are likely to not binge eat the next day to compensate" So people that doesn't eat before sleep doesn't compensate for...? what? For not eating before sleeping? I don't get it.

[/COLOR]

People aren't unique snowflakes. Telling them to eat breakfast is a great advice AND it's both behavioural patterns and a good way to keep a stable bloodsugar.

About the eating 2000 calories vs eating 200 calories. You turn a very nuanced picture that hasn't been thoroughly researched, into something totally black and white. It's not really that simple, and im pretty sure you're aware of that.
    No, people are not unique snowflakes. But diabetics have high blood sugar which you would expect to translate to low leptin levels and therefore less hunger. But at least I felt hungry all the time (I constantly craved sugar). I use to have sugar level problems as a consequence of type 2 diabetes. I am no longer symptomatic though I'm sure my pancreas is still damaged. I assumed this blood sugar to hunger malfunction was true of all diabetics because I am not a unique snowflake.

Fine, I will condition my statement. In so far as eating 2000 calories vs eating 10 meals of 200 calories may effect weight loss through metabolic means, the changes are so slight that current science cannot definitively calculate the difference all that well if there is any to begin with. The science tends to suggest that the greatest difference is behavioral in nature. It may very well be true that you burn 100 calories more a day by spreading your meals up. That is a difference that is hardly worth calculating into your life, however.

You got the sleeping statement correct, you seem to get it.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-01-13 at 11:44 AM.

Deleted
    No i definetly don't get how you can compensate for not eating before bed, by not binge eating the following day. How does eating before bed equal binge eating the following? I'm asking out of sheer curiousity, not to deliberately disagree with you (which im not most of the way)

No i definetly don't get how you can compensate for not eating before bed, by not binge eating the following day. How does eating before bed equal binge eating the following? I'm asking out of sheer curiousity, not to deliberately disagree with you (which im not most of the way)
    You are likely to not compensate the next day by binge eating if you don't eat before sleeping. Meaning your leptin levels do a soft reset when sleeping to a degree.

I.e. I don't eat after 7pm therefore eating only 1700 calories in day 1 instead of 2000, I am not likely to eat 2600 the next day to compensate for the decrease.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-01-13 at 05:34 PM.

while some of these answers are correct.. what may be happening is that you're balancing protein, fast and slow burning carbs which yes, will assist weight loss even if mildly overeating. When you have large gaps and have no carbs to burn, your body will go into 'starvation mode' and store fat thus causing weight gain. This is why people who are trying to lose weight are urged to eat smaller meals more often (5-6 times per day) and keep them balanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Never ask for logic in a game that mails you dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantasir View Post
    while some of these answers are correct.. what may be happening is that you're balancing protein, fast and slow burning carbs which yes, will assist weight loss even if mildly overeating. When you have large gaps and have no carbs to burn, your body will go into 'starvation mode' and store fat thus causing weight gain. This is why people who are trying to lose weight are urged to eat smaller meals more often (5-6 times per day) and keep them balanced.
    I really have not found a good study that demonstrates the validity of 'starvation mode' to a clinically significant amount. The only study I found that really supports it showed it to account for approximately only a 3% loss in calories burned per day.

Oh well another one
    Last edited by Azurenys; 2013-04-29 at 12:06 AM.
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantasir View Post
    Starvation mode? The man weighs 110kg

Again - Extreme case scenarios. You have to be starving for days or even weeks before cases like that can even be suggested.

I'm 99% certain he dropped some fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    I wish I could gain weight just by eating normally.. No matter what I do, diets or not, i barely have 70kgs.. :/ And I literally eat like a pig, 4-5 times a day, including fast foods, snickers and everything that's "unhealthy".. :/
    Most people who suffer from this problem tend to underestimate how much they really eat. Drink a gallon of whole milk a day and eat a breakfast lunch and dinner and if you dont gain weight then then you can complain of having a fucked up metabolism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    This pretty much. I am constantly stuck on 75kg +- (Yet I eat very unhealthy and are too much of a slob to work out).
    The only time I really gained much weight was when I was in the army and was forced to work out daily.
    I think i gained about 20kg of muscles in boot camp, I was faaaar more healthy then than now.
    I did however eat more at that time, all the exercise made me constantly hungry.
    Without exercise I just fill up faster, and with my metabolism even tho I basically live on pizza and never work out I never gain weight.
    So did that boot camp last for 5 years or something? Gained 20kg muscles...lol.