Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I run holy for H Garj'al and Tsulong so far. However, I am in the process of terminating the monk healing experiment and coming back to my priest. Our raid group is 5/6H, 2/6H, 4/4N in 10s. Progression on the 5/6H was with my monk. Switching to my priest (with a massive ilevel drop) made the 2/6H happen (disc). And frankly, I'm not sure how you would do H Windlord 10 without 2 mass dispells.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy spec has been my main spec for 3 years now and is extremely viable but u need to push in order to shine...try it and see how u perform at least its v good ss a tank healing and imba at raid healing if u know the fights and can predict inc damage. ..gluck

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzete View Post
    I run holy for H Garj'al and Tsulong so far. However, I am in the process of terminating the monk healing experiment and coming back to my priest. Our raid group is 5/6H, 2/6H, 4/4N in 10s. Progression on the 5/6H was with my monk. Switching to my priest (with a massive ilevel drop) made the 2/6H happen (disc). And frankly, I'm not sure how you would do H Windlord 10 without 2 mass dispells.
    If you need double MD to do H Wind-lord (which I'd barely consider a heroic fight even without a single md) I think you'll have a lot of fun progressing:P.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    I know a raiding guild that would beg to differ with your assessment. Mainly mine.

About the only healer we have that tops me is our pally, and on occasions our monk. Holy is freaking amazing for most encounters in this tier. The exceptions would be Elegon, Garalon, Amber Shaper, possibly Shek'zeer, and maybe Sha (I have yet to try holy on Sha, I may do so this week). Beyond that actually small list, holy can easily outperform (or at worst match) discipline's bloated SS numbers with a much more diverse playstyle.

Keep in mind that I am only speaking for normal modes. We've only just begun heroic, but the first two seem far better for holy than for discipline.

I raid hardmodes and Disc is better for all of them save maybe Tsulong for GA buff on the boss. Disc does more HPS and has way, WAY more utility than Holy. Disc can't go oom even if you only have mediocre Rapture management. Perfect Rapture management and you can spam everything you want. Holy is so far behind disc's mana regen.

Quote Originally Posted by Afflictid View Post
    I raid hardmodes and Disc is better for all of them save maybe Tsulong for GA buff on the boss. Disc does more HPS and has way, WAY more utility than Holy. Disc can't go oom even if you only have mediocre Rapture management. Perfect Rapture management and you can spam everything you want. Holy is so far behind disc's mana regen.
    Did any of you read the OP? They are a casual normal and LFR raider. They don't care what is better for hard modes, they were asking if holy was viable FOR THEIR SITUATION. The answer is yes. They were only looking for a healing offspec, their main is shadow in the first place, so for casual healing in an LFR and probably support role, holy is fine for them. Try reading the point of the thread before just assuming from the title.

Deleted
    Did any of you read the OP? They are a casual normal and LFR raider. They don't care what is better for hard modes, they were asking if holy was viable FOR THEIR SITUATION. The answer is yes. They were only looking for a healing offspec, their main is shadow in the first place, so for casual healing in an LFR and probably support role, holy is fine for them. Try reading the point of the thread before just assuming from the title.
    Might be helpful to explain that disc is far superior as well you know. Both your and his answer has been written about 20 times in this thread already.

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem with Holy is the damn Chakra, we are the only handicapped healer.

> Healing tank with single target Chakra
    > Yay a huge 15sec AoE healing phase is starting, switch to aoe chakra...hps hps hps!
    > Oh noes now the tank takes an awful lot of damage but Chakra is on cooldown....
    > ~65k Gheals instead of 100k...
    > tank dies but wouldn't have if it was a paladin healing since he wouldn't have been handicapped in singletarget after that AoE phase.

I think overall and especially for your LFR/normal needs Holy is more than good enough (and the most fun healerclass for me personally being Holy like 8 years, never gets old). In 10mans casting PoHs though hurts because it's so shit while you're in single target stance (pretty much the 10man stance 24/7), feels very frustrating sometimes. I do always destroy the other healers and am on par or a little below our disc so it's not like Holy is that terrible atm, just in certain situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellumina View Post
    Holy is perfectly viable. The only thing is Disc is currently in a better and stronger place than Holy, so majority of priests are Disc.
    I agree with that statement.

I've been both specs in the past, can play them both well and have even tried holy for some bosses and raids in this expansion. I went back to disc for two reasons...it seemed wrong to play holy when disc was that much stronger, and it can be a little difficult to adjust to the way holy sucks down mana when you're used to getting so much back in disc.

I don't think Holy has any gamebreaking issues right now. It is in a good position. In about a year, we will look back to the T14 era and say: "Holy was good in T14".

Sure, there are things that are annoying. Chakra being the greatest offender by a few orders of magnitude. There are also bugs, there are design choices that tick me off to no end, there is the utterly crappy state of PVP, there is the fact that healers are second rate citizens in many aspects of the game (brawlers guild as healer anyone?). And there is the intention from the design team that this state of affairs is quite okay. Yes, there are many many things that could rightfully make any healer blow a fuse. And for Holy in particular, Chakra really wins some award in annoyance.

But you know, that is all down in the "quality of life" bin. That does not mean I don't expect those issues to be resolved. I'm just saying that none of those issues are breaking Holy to the point where the spec cannot be used right now. Holy can fill its shoes in any aspect of the game it was intented to be allowed to play in, in a more than adequate manner. Holy is good.

But why settle for good when you can be great, by simply respeccing disc?
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Deleted
    I'm under the impression now that if disc didn't exist in the game, not only would holy feel quite 'ok' but all healing specs as a whole would feel quite balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparrow View Post
    I'm under the impression now that if disc didn't exist in the game, not only would holy feel quite 'ok' but all healing specs as a whole would feel quite balanced.
    100% true!

Quote Originally Posted by Sokatsui View Post
    I aggree. When I was healing as Holy in Cataclysm 5-man heroic, our group wiped and the tank told me "first, you're going to change your spec because holy sucks". I felt bad about it when I saw all the priests as Disc and I don't feel like using this spec.
    I was shadow in Cata, but our guild had this priest who always played holy. bno matter what lol. And he was AMAZING. he could do some crazy crazy healing and we considered him legendary for it. Never assume the just because one spec shows more numbers on average means you can't do the same job with the other. I enjoy both holy and disc(i favor holy) and do well in both specs.

Deleted
    Holy would still be weaker than every other healing spec. Hpalas would still heal more than most specs while bringing massive utility.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Holy would still be weaker than every other healing spec. Hpalas would still heal more than most specs while bringing massive utility.
    Holy is parsing ahead of both resto shaman and resto druids along with arguably beating mistweaver monks despite the fact the vast majority of players in a competitive environment are playing disc because it is superior.

I cleared all normal mode content as holy, I only switched to disc when I started on HM's to make progression easier.

And holy is fine for all those hard modes as well, but if you're in a guild that is struggling with progression and you're still holy, don't be an ass and stay holy when you could be doing much better as disc, and help carry more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Holy is parsing ahead of both resto shaman and resto druids along with arguably beating mistweaver monks despite the fact the vast majority of players in a competitive environment are playing disc because it is superior.
    Healing parses has no real value, but this simply isn't true either way, holy is below everyone in 10s and at the bottom together with druids in 25s (while having really poor utility). Only the top parses are included so the fact that most priests play disc is largely irrelevant.

This is because disc represents everything that is wrong (imo) about healing. Its not a healer, its preventing damage, and its doing so powerfully now more than ever. If disc prevents most damage, it makes boss mechanics, even on HC, feel pointless. What's the point in having a high damage sequence if all this damage, or a big part of it, is absorbed? The need to avoid playing catch up kills the whole point of healing for me, I'm not a healer, I'm a preventer.
    Absorbs should not be able to kill boss mechanics, they should remian a niche utility to help the raid in certain moments, but eventually, the main healing from a healer should be from healing spells and fast reactions. In this tier with disc being so OP (and will continue to be way above everyone else on 5.2), along with bosses that contain predictable damage phases, with all the added mana and utility disc provides, there is little to no reason to play holy. I stick with holy because I enjoy it, for me its a real healing spec, something I can't say for disc. Holy has its fair share of issues (cough chakra), but overall it has a nice, large toolbox that challenges your skills in the most fun way possible.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 12:42 PM ----------

"And holy is fine for all those hard modes as well, but if you're in a guild that is struggling with progression and you're still holy, don't be an ass and stay holy when you could be doing much better as disc, and help carry more. "

So are we forgetting what this game is about? If someone's staying holy becasue he enjoys it more he's still an ass if he doesn't go disc. This is something terrible Blizzard has done, it forced all priests to go disc, otherwise they are "asses".

If you're the third healer in a casual raiding guild, yeah go holy no problem. If you need for some reason to do progress or to heal a hard fight, you'll find it extremely hard as holy. Blizzard implementing those f***ing chakra stances absolutely killed holy and mop mana management just finished killing the spec.

Deleted
    "And holy is fine for all those hard modes as well, but if you're in a guild that is struggling with progression and you're still holy, don't be an ass and stay holy when you could be doing much better as disc, and help carry more. "

So are we forgetting what this game is about? If someone's staying holy becasue he enjoys it more he's still an ass if he doesn't go disc. This is something terrible Blizzard has done, it forced all priests to go disc, otherwise they are "asses".
    Yes if you are in a progression guild you are expected to play the best spec for the job, and this applies for every class. On most fights (at the current gear level) your lock isn't going to play destro, your hunter isn't going to play mm, your rogue isn't going to play sub. If you want to play the spec you enjoy you look for a casual guild, if you want to be in a progression guild you play the spec that's most suitable for the encounter at hand. And yes, if you willingly gimp your progression guild you're an ass and should expect to be kicked. As long as every spec has differences one will be superior on every encounter.
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-01-13 at 02:38 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Healing parses has no real value, but this simply isn't true either way, holy is below everyone in 10s and at the bottom together with druids in 25s (while having really poor utility). Only the top parses are included so the fact that most priests play disc is largely irrelevant.
    Only looking at the top 100 parses has extreme bias. There have been countless posts explaining this so I am not going into the details.