Page 1 of 2
LastLast

5.2 - feral or boomkin?

gonna start playing my druid a bit wondering if i should do feral or boomkin for 5.2?

10+ Year Old Account
    Feral don't really have a spot in RBG. Its much easier to get in RBG as boomkin, we're fairly strong right now, and will be stronger next season due to the healing pvp power change.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,
    maybe streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee

goodas reaI fsd as

Deleted
    Depends if you intend to PvP or PvE.
    Last edited by mmoc202609b868; 2013-01-16 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Clicking threads on the frontpage ftl. My bad.

I'm going Boomkin for sure.

Ferals dont have a place in RBGs, their CC will DR with most people you'll try cap with in 2s and in 3s they won't be nearly as potent as they are right now.

Boomkin I find funner in BGs, RBG and Arena.

Neither will be FOTM, if that's what you're asking. But if you learn to play Boomkin well then you'll be in a RBG group for sure and you might even get a good 3s

Boomkin is fun but you are reliant on your team mates for survival. The Boomkin is the cannon and your team mates are the henchmen that roll you around wreaking havoc =)

Feral does better in solo situations and with the cd to typhoon coming puts a big hole in their cc abilities.

Imo Boomkin.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthrun View Post
    Oh dear...

For arena definitely Feral, no questions asked, they're far superior. Otherwise Boomie <3

Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    For arena definitely Feral, no questions asked, they're far superior. Otherwise Boomie <3
    For 5.2, i'd disagree. I bet we'll see way more Boomkins than Ferals next season.

Deleted
    Feral population will probably be cut in half come 5.2 due to the control-nerfs.
    Resto population will also be cut down quite a bit due to overall healing nerfs and survivability nerfs.
    Boomkin will automatically be a better caster since mages and locks are getting nerfed.

All in all druids will be average as a whole and there will be a few players with exceptional skill that will go high but that will be rare.

Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    Feral population will probably be cut in half come 5.2 due to the control-nerfs.
    Resto population will also be cut down quite a bit due to overall healing nerfs and survivability nerfs.
    Boomkin will automatically be a better caster since mages and locks are getting nerfed.

All in all druids will be average as a whole and there will be a few players with exceptional skill that will go high but that will be rare.
    Yep, this is how I look at it.

I'd say more than half of the Resto population are going to swap to Balance, and Ferals are either gonna reroll or also go Balance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iWolfBanei View Post
    For 5.2, i'd disagree. I bet we'll see way more Boomkins than Ferals next season.
    Ill have to agree with you, unless we see a change in the cyclone nerf we will see many more boomkins then ferals.

I also see resto going down and monks taking their postition in rbgs(though I do run with me a druid and then either a pally or shaman so it will not effect me)
    Last edited by apepi; 2013-01-13 at 06:16 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iWolfBanei View Post
    Yep, this is how I look at it.

I'd say more than half of the Resto population are going to swap to Balance, and Ferals are either gonna reroll or also go Balance.
    I only really played balance this exp on my druid. Did some feral games in 2s to cap points and stuff. But seeing as to how squishy I am, and how much less it will be in 5.2 I cba to even relearn feral from wotlk again. This weekend was also the weekend that basically sealed the deal for me, and basically made me a fotm roller.

I honestly can't stand it that I have to be an exceptionally great player to even be viable as boomkin in arena, or pop ALL cds and killl somebody in 3 seconds.

That's not that reason why I like druids. If I liked one-shotting people I would've simply rolled ret paladin in wotlk and cataclysm, but blizzard basically made everyone ret paladins...

Nobody cares, but I'll most likely be rolling either spriest, hunter or warrior because I just simply can't stand idiots popping all CDs at once and winning.

Helps to read what forum the thread is in.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

seeing how this post is in the pvp thread...

The only problem I have as boomkin in arena is vs melee cleaves (never had a problem vs other casters although the mage and lock silence nerfs can't hurt). If you don't symbiosis a warlock and your team can't peel for you, you're going to melt in a stun/cheap shot/whatever. You might say that's the same for every class but an spriest can dispersion, a mage can blink/root/rof/ice block, warlock can use dark bargain/instant fears/portal

I guess you can take renewal and HotW for additional survival against those teams, but I usually take NV and NS for more burst and instant cc. Still you really do need great peels from your team as a boomkin and I'm still peeved that NV is being cut in half. And the nerf to displacer beast is gonna hurt even more to those type of teams.

To answer your question tho, I think ferals are currently more viable in arena and moonkin more viable in bgs. The amount of burst and control that feral have currently is just amazing in arena. In 5.2 that control is going down the toilet but I think their burst will still be quite high. Moonkins are still very reliant on casting and can be clunky in arena if you are focused down the whole time as you probably will be. You just need great peels as a moonkin.
    Last edited by halfawake; 2013-01-14 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by halfawake View Post
    Moonkins are still very reliant on casting.
    Uhhh what? Moonkins are the exact opposite.

Boomkin for RBGs. Something not a druid for arena

I'm not talking bgs here.. but in arena yes they are, you don't get enough starsurge procs to burst someone down and you don't get sustained damage from dots and the occasional starsurge proc either. Only during cooldowns (specifically invocation + nature's vigil + celestial alignment) can you spam dots on two maybe all 3 people in a 3s match and do a lot of damage. If you're going for a cc kill thats two targets with dots on them, which isn't going to proc a lot of starsurges and outside of cooldowns just isn't a lot of damage.. If you cc the healer, you are going to want to burst with casts. This is not to mention that Celestial alignment is a 15 second uptime every 3 minutes. That's the only time your dots are doing a lot of damage and being applied at the same time. Personally I try to get some uptime on Incarnation/NV with some starfires/moonfires/starsurge/starsurge procs before I hit CA and go to town (especially to try and bait a cc for the first 15 seconds so I can have full uptime on them when I hit CA). That said you definitely need to cast especially outside of cooldowns (at the very least you need to cycle eclipse possibly by going out of LoS and using astral communion to get into a new eclipse and have nature's grace up).

10+ Year Old Account
    In 5.2, the Cyclone nerf, while hurting druids, is hitting Feral HARD. The NV change is hurting druid's burst by 10%, this will affect both Boomkin and Feral. hrmm...

For control, Boomkin>Feral. For damage, Boomkin is about the same- nothing when cooldowns are down, huge burst time when cooldowns are up, with Ferals being able to slam a single target VERY hard, and Boomkins being able to apply extreme pressure to an entire team. For healing, Boomkin>Feral- you can toss out so many more rejuves, healing touches, its not even funny. Mobility, Feral>Boomkin. Can't beat 60%+ constant movement speed. Finally, Survival... Bout equal. Boomkin has more passive damage reduction, Feral can recieve more healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.