Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

at wits end here with computer/internet struggles

I'm hoping to find some help dealing with internet related problems. This problem has been ongoing for years now and I'm quite frankly pissed the fuck off at this point. I have comcast as my ISP since I'm not aware of any better provider on cape cod otherwise I would jump to it immediately. I mainly play games on my computer that require constant internet and when I have it dropping several times a month for a couple hours at a time, it's inexcusable. My router is wireless and my room is about 8 feet from it. I usually only have 2-3 bars, 4 on a good day. Sometimes it'll be so bad that there will be a yellow triangle over where the bars are and it will say no internet connection. I have been told several times that it was my computer and not the internet provided.

Okay. I upgraded my computer last year to an alienware x51. Same problem still exists. It also exists on my laptop. The one computer that is hardwired to the router loads slow. I have called comcast several times and the last time they swapped out the router for the same model, an ARRIS TG862G/CT. When I asked the technician if he could move the router from the room it is in to my room and hook it up to my computer he said that I'd have to get an electrician to do that.

I have no clue what I should do. Should I call an electrician? Should I curse the technological overlords that monopolize the interwebs? All I want to do is be able to play some WoW or whatever in peace without fear of being disconnected or unable to even connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Deleted
    Buy another wireless router, plug it into your ARRIS modem and set it to work as an access point.

Deleted
    You should let them monitor the internet connection to your house for at least a few weeks. If you are still connected to the router, but the juice is off, then it's either a problem with the wires inside your house, or from the house to the distribution place/link. If you lose connection to the router itself though, it might just be your PC or a piece of faulty hardware somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by genericsmurf View Post
    Buy another wireless router, plug it into your ARRIS modem and set it to work as an access point.
    ARRIS is the router Comcast provides currently.

Quote Originally Posted by achareat View Post
    You should let them monitor the internet connection to your house for at least a few weeks. If you are still connected to the router, but the juice is off, then it's either a problem with the wires inside your house, or from the house to the distribution place/link. If you lose connection to the router itself though, it might just be your PC or a piece of faulty hardware somewhere.
    They ran a speed test and said the speeds were fine even though they were low even when the internet is working. It says 65.0 Mbps yet there is no way it can be. It's something to due with the signal and I know that it is not the computer. Two computers in a row cant both have the same exact problem.

Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Try changing your wireless broadcasting channel. Recommended channels are 9 or 11.

Remove devices between the router and your computer/laptop that may interfere with the wireless signal (this list includes phones, microwaves, TVs)

If that doesn't work, buy a good modem/router combo and change the broadcast channel again.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    Try changing your wireless broadcasting channel. Recommended channels are 9 or 11.

Remove devices between the router and your computer/laptop that may interfere with the wireless signal (this list includes phones, microwaves, TVs)

If that doesn't work, buy a good modem/router combo and change the broadcast channel again.
    I've tried changing the channel. It has no effect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    I know that . It's your cable modem and your wireless router in one box.
    The placement of the cable modem part is limited to where your cable endpoint is (i.e. the less then ideal placement you have at the moment). Moving that cable endpoint really would be some hassle.
    But you aren't forced to use the builtin wireless of the ARRIS device was where is was pointing at. You can connect any other wireless router to your arris (hardwired as you put it) and move that wireless router to a place that offers better signal for your wireless connections.
    Last edited by mmoc7115aaa4da; 2013-01-13 at 05:53 PM. Reason: removed unnescessary step as the router in question has 4 lan ports

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by genericsmurf View Post
    I know that . It's your cable modem and your wireless router in one box.
    The placement of the cable modem part is limited to where your cable endpoint is (i.e. the less then ideal placement you have at the moment). Moving that cable endpoint really would be some hassle.
    But you aren't forced to use the builtin wireless of the ARRIS device was where is was pointing at. You can connect any other wireless router to your arris (hardwired as you put it) and move that wireless router to a place that offers better signal for your wireless connections.
    I have a plug in my room that an ethernet cable can go into but the electric part in my room is connected to shit and I wouldnt have a clue what to do without fucking it all up. It'd seem stupid to get another router when the first isnt working.

Have you actually tried a wired connection to the modem at some point? It might be a pain getting it set up in the room the modem's in, but you could quickly figure out if the issue is with the modem/wiring or simply the wireless card in the modem (or your computer). And the guy is suggesting another wireless router because your ARRIS device might have bad wireless. Getting a different wireless router to handle the wireless duties might solve the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a plug in my room that an ethernet cable can go into but the electric part in my room is connected to shit and I wouldnt have a clue what to do without fucking it all up. It'd seem stupid to get another router when the first isnt working.
    He is saying to use a better router. The ones that are built into the modems are usually crap. You could also try to set up port forwarding. How to do that is different for every router so you will have to look that up for the specific model.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a bit confusing. The second router would be getting the internet from the first but providing a stronger wireless signal? How would that work? I haven't had the computer in my room wired because it supposedly requires an electrician to do and I'd like to make sure before I toss out money, especially since they charge a lot.

That's a bit confusing. The second router would be getting the internet from the first but providing a stronger wireless signal? How would that work? I haven't had the computer in my room wired because it supposedly requires an electrician to do and I'd like to make sure before I toss out money, especially since they charge a lot.
    The modem part might be fine, but the router's wireless transmitter could be terrible. Thus, if you connect another router into it with a wire, so that the new router handles the wireless (as it should have a better wireless transmitter) then you should get a better connection.

It certainly doesn't sound like your ISP or your computer, but the modem/router.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    The modem part might be fine, but the router's wireless transmitter could be terrible. Thus, if you connect another router into it with a wire, so that the new router handles the wireless (as it should have a better wireless transmitter) then you should get a better connection.

It certainly doesn't sound like your ISP or your computer, but the modem/router.
    Why would comcast offer high speeds then provide a shit router? o.O So what do I do? Get a new router/modem to install in place of the one I'm using or in addition? Would I be paying monthly for use or buy it flatout? Would a simple swap of location with an electrician work?

10+ Year Old Account
    There is also the option of using PowerLine. Disable the wireless aspect of your router/modem, and just have it plug into the power outlet near it, and pick up the ethernet from the power outlet in your room.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 11:28 AM ----------

Why would comcast offer high speeds then provide a shit router? o.O So what do I do? Get a new router/modem to install in place of the one I'm using or in addition? Would I be paying monthly for use or buy it flatout? Would a simple swap of location with an electrician work?
    You could also just ask Comcast to give you a regular modem with no router, and get your own router. Not all of them are 'shit' but it's usually the first thing to check. And you wouldn't get a new modem/router, you'd just get a router and disable the router aspect of the modem/router.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    There is also the option of using PowerLine. Disable the wireless aspect of your router/modem, and just have it plug into the power outlet near it, and pick up the ethernet from the power outlet in your room.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 11:28 AM ----------

You could also just ask Comcast to give you a regular modem with no router, and get your own router. Not all of them are 'shit' but it's usually the first thing to check. And you wouldn't get a new modem/router, you'd just get a router and disable the router aspect of the modem/router.
    Multiple in the household using computers/laptops. Wireless has to be the way. I think I'm going to temporarily pick up an ethernet cable and plug it into the router and my computer. I hate the idea but it's cheaper than the alternatives, assuming it works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Multiple in the household using computers/laptops. Wireless has to be the way. I think I'm going to temporarily pick up an ethernet cable and plug it into the router and my computer. I hate the idea but it's cheaper than the alternatives, assuming it works.
    I'm a little confused. If there's multiple in the house using wireless, aren't they having the same issue too? I was under the impression that you mentioned both your computers were having that problem, implying that "All" the computers had that problem, ruling out the computers.

That said, a straight ethernet cable may work. You might consider the powerline option too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm a little confused. If there's multiple in the house using wireless, aren't they having the same issue too? I was under the impression that you mentioned both your computers were having that problem, implying that "All" the computers had that problem, ruling out the computers.

That said, a straight ethernet cable may work. You might consider the powerline option too.
    We have three desktops, and three laptops. One desk top is hardwired. All of the computers are experiencing the same problem besides the hardwired computer but that computer is not used often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I assume you mean Modem, A router splits from a Modem. In your case it sounds like the provided modem has a cheap shitty wireless output as well. I would suggest looking at a 3rd party wireless router you should be able to find a decent one at Best Buy. The reason we are suggesting this is these general work better for wireless connections than the cheapest piece of shit Comcast can get , which is what you have. You plug the new wireless router into the back of the existing modem with a short cat 5 cable. You should be able to plug the hardlined computer into the back of the new wireless modem as they usually have 4 hardline ports on the back. Follow the new wireless router instructions on setting up your new wireless network and hopefully it will solve your wireless issues if not you can always return the new wireless router if you decide it didn't help.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 03:09 PM ----------

We have three desktops, and three laptops. One desk top is hardwired. All of the computers are experiencing the same problem besides the hardwired computer but that computer is not used often.
    yeah to me it sounds like the wireless activity on the Comcast modem sucks donkey balls try getting a mid range wireless linkseys router.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I assume you mean Modem, A router splits from a Modem. In your case it sounds like the provided modem has a cheap shitty wireless output as well. I would suggest looking at a 3rd party wireless router you should be able to find a decent one at Best Buy. The reason we are suggesting this is these general work better for wireless connections than the cheapest piece of shit Comcast can get , which is what you have. You plug the new wireless router into the back of the existing modem with a short cat 5 cable. You should be able to plug the hardlined computer into the back of the new wireless modem as they usually have 4 hardline ports on the back. Follow the new wireless router instructions on setting up your new wireless network and hopefully it will solve your wireless issues if not you can always return the new wireless router if you decide it didn't help.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 03:09 PM ----------

yeah to me it sounds like the wireless activity on the Comcast modem sucks donkey balls try getting a mid range wireless linkseys router.
    You're probably right. I'm not big on the technical parts. I know some basic shit. Any idea on how much decent routers would be? I'm fucking annoyed that comcast has the gall to just give out shitty fucking equipment while claiming to have good speeds.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 08:16 PM ----------

Oh and for a general idea of what the speed is like, I've been trying since 11:00 AM or so to play WoW/GW2. Consistent lag/disconnection. Web pages can take several minutes to load as opposed to being instant. I mean for fuck sakes, this isnt fucking dial up. QOL first world problems >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    You're probably right. I'm not big on the technical parts. I know some basic shit. Any idea on how much decent routers would be? I'm fucking annoyed that comcast has the gall to just give out shitty fucking equipment while claiming to have good speeds.
    A decent router can run from $40-$60. Any more than that is just overspending on superfluous things.

And yes, how dare they give you free hardware. How dare they indeed.

Their speeds are what they claim, as you already posted. Just because the FREE hardware they provide isn't great doesn't mean anything against them.