View Poll Results: Why Do You Think European Countries Generally Dislike Immigrants?

Voters
292. This poll is closed
  • I don't think they generally dislike immigrants.

76 26.03%
  • Public perception of immigrants is negative due to their crime rates.

59 20.21%
  • Public perception of immigrants is negative due to culture

40 13.70%
  • Public perception of immigrants is due to their lack of assimilation.

89 30.48%
  • Other

28 9.59%
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    i think a non white, non christian would have a more pleasant time in Europe than in America. Just look at the recent subway murders etc. Also Europe hasnt built a massive wall along the border like the USA does with Mexico.

10+ Year Old Account
    More immigrants (The european definition of "immigrant" these days is pretty much people from ME/NA regions) = crime levels go up. Especially the kind of crime that people hate the most, i.e rapes and robberies. This is a fact that can be proven with statistics of crime from any EU nation.

USA doesn't have the same social security net that most European countries have, meaning that immigrants to the USA have to find jobs and contribute in some ways in order to get by. Where as in Europe many immigrants come here, get welfare benefits (that in many cases are better than what a "normal" citizen can get), and live on those benefits without ever doing anything productive.

USA is a melting pot of many different cultures, it's hard to point out "American culture" because it's so mixed. European nations however are old and have a very defined culture. Many immigrants keep their culture, morals and values (that often direcly clash with those of the host country) and simply don't want to integrate.

In times of economical difficulty, the last thing a population with a substantial amount of unemployment wants is a large influx of immigration workers.

USA gets immigrants of every variety, everything from war refugees to people seeking a "better life" (american dream etc). Europe gets almost exclusively war/disaster refugees and bears the brunt of the troubles in the ME/NA regions. Lots of desillusioned people who have lost everything and/or experienced some horrible stuff.

I'd say those are the main points brought up whenever there's talk of immigration. Tbh I'm both amazed and appalled that anyone still thinks that massive immigration is somehow "good" for a country.
    Last edited by Shakadam; 2013-01-14 at 11:47 AM.

Deleted
    A mix of all of the above.

From a northern european country I would call out for the following.

Crime stats are up the roof with some immigration groups.
    A lot of normal hard working people see the queue for social help etc is filled with 90% immigrants from the middle east can be very offputting
    Cultures from the middle ages in some areas, where women are treated like second class, "honour"killings in families, or women called abusive things once they decide to go to the clubs etc.
    Special treatments, close down swimming pool for anyone except for muslim women or not able to shake hands with people not of the same religion etc is very taxing for a secularized country where the norm is "everyone has the same rights and responsabilities".

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    7,3 milion? Dude, last I checked we were 9,5 million, and in 1990 we were 8,5 million. Don't know whatcha talking about
    Obviously not about Sweden/Norway/Etc. Talking about the demographic crisis in South and Eastern Europe caused by Immigration.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Where as in Europe many immigrants come here, get welfare benefits (that in many cases are better than what a "normal" citizen can get), and live on those benefits without ever doing anything productive.
    You know, I see this argument a lot, but I've never seen anyone coming with anything to back this theory up, with the exception of media talking about how hard it is for immigrants to get a job.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 12:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Obviously not about Sweden/Norway/Etc. Talking about the demographic crisis in South and Eastern Europe caused by Immigration.

Well, now I sure do feel stupid.

Deleted
    Western/Northern europeans are not complaining about other european immigrants though, with the notable exceptions of rums. Most of the ones that are taken issue with have arabic origins.

Actually, are the brits still complaining about the poles or have they gotten over it ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    i think a non white, non christian would have a more pleasant time in Europe than in America. Just look at the recent subway murders etc. Also Europe hasnt built a massive wall along the border like the USA does with Mexico.
    Well we did have the Berlin wall - but the people thats the "issue" is from the southern part so it was positioned wrong.

Also again - as another also mentioned - the problem isn´t immigrants, but refugees since immigrants got the money to survive, but refugees are in the shithole holed up in centers waiting for a verdict.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 12:49 PM ----------

This is pretty sick (in the bad way). I wish Europe would adopt the 3 strikes rule and lock up such irreparable individuals.
    We would also be having issues with overcrowded prisons.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    Uhm...

they don't dislike immigrants. Have you ever been to Texas/California/Arizona/New Mexico? I've been to every one of them except for N.M.
    Have you ever been to Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    Also Europe hasnt built a massive wall along the border like the USA does with Mexico.
    did we? because that's news to me. and random subway murders are supposed to mean something? i guess you've never been on a major american city subway before.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Because europeans are constantly told that non-european immigration is the best thing since sliced bread, while suburbs in cities are turned into ghettos.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayp View Post
    Im an immigrant that moved from England to Sweden, so im white caucasian and im still learning the language and as such yet to find a job because of the language.

However due to me not being the typicle sterotype of immigrant you expect aka - muslim, african, arabic etc. Ive not met anyone negitive towards me at all.
    This could be for a varity of reasons, England and Sweden are basicaly 99% the same in day to day life and i dont need to adapt with it being a western European country. I try to get out as much as possible to interact with the locals to get the language down faster, and another perk of being English there, they hear my accent when talking to my girlfriend in the shops and they will switch to english and are very helpful because of this.

After seeing the news here in Sweden and comparing it to England i think there is a general bias against the more sterotype of immigrant that i listed above. Im currently the only white caucasian in my immigrant school to learn the language and the majority of students there are 28-40yrs old, arabic muslims, for the most part they seem friendly but they tend to stick with eachother alot more and dont interact with the locals as much as i do, they prefer it this way and seem very hesitant against change (even though they have completly changed country). In the UK before i left there was always talk about the nutters wanting to get its own division of sharia law which is always going to have a negitive reaction for immigration purposes.

So yes i think there will always be a bias towards the sterotype immigrant simply because alot of them:
    • wont speak the local language
    • will cling to eachother in groups and speak their own language
    • wont mingle with the local population
    • hesitant against change (like things done in the country they left)

to name a few.
    I didn't know that the "typical" immigrant was muslim, african or arabic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I didn't know that the "typical" immigrant was muslim, african or arabic.
    It's the unspoken fact that when you talk about immigrants, it's a muslim, african or arab, whereas if we talk about Brits or Germans, they're just that, Brits and Germans, either that or Europeans.

It's quite hard to answer OP's question due to the rules he put at the top, You see, I dont feel my viewpoint IS racist, but I have been accused of being so many a time.

I have NO issue with immigrants who want to come here and make a better life for themselves, working hard. my issue is with people who are here to exploit the systems such as the benefits and the NHS. who are a drain on society. who go on to break the laws of this country, then get 3 warm meals a day courtesty of HM. I feel that personally, we as a country should close our borders to anyone, whilst there is a single British soul on the streets.

Over the christmas period I met several homeless chaps (and bought them coffee) 2 of whom were ex military. and served in Iraq/Afghanistan.. please tell me how its right that a displaced afghani family can be living it large in a free council house, collecting hundreds in benefits per week.. whilst these poor souls who gave up their lives to defend us. (orders are orders) are sleeping rough every night?

Im all for helping whoever wants to accept it, then give back themselves. ONCE we take care of our own.

Further to that, I have a big issue with immigrants who dont embrace the culture, who come to the UK only to demand WE respect their cultures and various things.. at the end of the day, you came to the UK. you adapt to OUR way of life, not the other way around. and that includes learning the language to a reasonable level. (I've seen the UK language test as my Wife was forced to take it being from South Africa, its a joke. a 3 year old could do it.. its not even basic conversation level English..)

It also grinds my gears how those who hate the Western ways and laws use them when it suits them, case in point in 2011 there was an Iraqi gent who had been involved in several hate rallies towards the western world, he had a suspended license. he hit a poor little girl, and literally left her under his wheels as he ran off.. when he was caught. he said that we couldnt kick him out, because his family would be deprived of their 'right to a family life' (EU laws..) so he hates us with one hand.. then with the other uses the very same rulebook to exploit the system.

I dont feel this makes me racist atall. Simply a person who has looked closely at the immigration system and all its hoops and loopholes having been through it for my wife/daughter, its a horrendously flawed system that benefits those who would exploit and cheat. and simply drains money from everyone else. it is not fit for purpose.
    Last edited by Raldazzar; 2013-01-14 at 12:02 PM.

I think the problem is Islamization and most people generally dislike that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazookaberit View Post
    A mix of all of the above.

From a northern european country I would call out for the following.

Crime stats are up the roof with some immigration groups.
    A lot of normal hard working people see the queue for social help etc is filled with 90% immigrants from the middle east can be very offputting
    Cultures from the middle ages in some areas, where women are treated like second class, "honour"killings in families, or women called abusive things once they decide to go to the clubs etc.
    Special treatments, close down swimming pool for anyone except for muslim women or not able to shake hands with people not of the same religion etc is very taxing for a secularized country where the norm is "everyone has the same rights and responsabilities".
    Ive been down at that queue. Didn't see any immigrant as a matter of fact. Nor was the line very long.
    Yes, Islam needs be taken to the same level as Christianity in the north. Ie - irrelevance to the majority of us.
    Those special treatments are usually reserved for all women and not just muslim women. Whether or not people want to shake hands is irrelevant.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 01:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    It's the unspoken fact that when you talk about immigrants, it's a muslim, african or arab, whereas if we talk about Brits or Germans, they're just that, Brits and Germans, either that or Europeans.
    Notice the lack of question marks in my post.

In ireland generally not, there are of course small sects of people who will go out of their way to show a dislike toward immigrants but every country has that. In general though not at all, I know some people who were unsure of Immigrants at first (my aunt been one of them, mainly due to living in a small country town for a long time), but as soon as they got to know them they just realized that they're people like everyone else.

Europeans don´t "generally dislike" immigrants. It´s only a minoritiy, that fears loss of privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilu View Post
    Actually, are the brits still complaining about the poles or have they gotten over it ?
    They still are. Yesterday the British housing(?) minister said that they will have a severe housing shortage caused by the hordes of Romanians and Bulgarians that will flock next January when the UK restrictions against us expire...

Deleted
    Why Do You Think European Countries Generally Dislike Illegal Immigrants?

That ought to have been outlined.

Gypsies belong in there too. Those deserve fire, but that's another discussion.

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-01-14 at 02:50 PM.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm afraid the whole statement goes down by itself.

Have you seen the amount of immigrants all over Europe? We probably have more than the rest of the whole planet. Remember that a guy from UK in Germany is an immigrant already.. but it's not only about european moving from a country to another in Europe, a large amount of people move into Europe as well.

So, saying that we dislike or even hate it makes no sense :/

Another thing is that some people start to get a bit sick of X immigrants for X reasons. That's another thing.
    Also, we are reaching a point where we need to stop regulate it a bit harder, because the lower countries are getting empty and the rich countries are receiving a lot of people. That scares me, I hope to be on time to make my move with not much trouble.