Deleted

Where are all the "True Combat Action" MMOs

After I heard about TERA last year and tried it's combat system I got a little bit pumped up about it, I enjoyed it very well but sadly there was no endgame and that gave went down the earth.
    I would love to see more of that Combat Style in more MMOs, too bored with target/mash button style MMOs now I want something new.

So the year is 2013 and the only game I have found is "Blade & Soul", this game will have this "True Combat Action" combat style but I heard rumours that this game wont be that pvp oriented that I hope it would, I love pvp, if wow would focus more on balancing 1v1, 2v2 and everything I would be happy but too hard when pve is there aswell.

Would people want to see more of this type of combat style as I do ? Cause most game created now are just too lame with target/mash buttons style
    also, anymore known games that uses this combat style ? or is it only Blade & Soul ?

(otherwise I will wait for Dark Souls 2 and hope pvp will be fun there :P)

This is still kind of a new thing and MMOs take time to make.

Odds are there are a bunch of them in the works already and we won't hear anything about them for a while yet.

There's RaiderZ, they are on OB/Launched with tons of work to be done still > West Servers(Opt. set on Launcher) - Crawler is the most populated one.
    And there will be Neverwinter Online(?) and maybe Elder Scrolls Online. (got to confirm ESO)

Blade and Soul lol! Heard that name 5+ years ago.

Edit: Links
    RaiderZ
    http://raiderz.perfectworld.com/

D&D Neverwinter
    http://nw.perfectworld.com/

ESO
    http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/
    Last edited by Girlyman; 2013-01-14 at 03:10 AM.

From what I have seen, ESO isn't completely true action combat. It sounds closer to GW2 style which I think is a half way house between traditional style and Tera style.

RaiderZ and Neverwinter both look interesting. After playing Tera's combat I am definitely going to give RaiderZ a spin when I get the time.

15+ Year Old Account
    It takes awhile for gamers to adapt to something different. The years leading up to finally getting something different are the best times, as the game usually disappoints most of the player base and they all go back to the same ol same ol. The button mashing combat style isn't that bad, it's just that it's always the same art design which gets boring to me. Typical Warrior and Wizards vs started bandits and higher level Dragons. I love the Secret World not because of it's combat style, it's button mashing and stuff (can move and cast any spell, a welcome change that should be normal to MMO's imo) but because the art style and everything is different instead of sword and shield and spells you have guns and in a modern world. Trying to change the gameplay of the same game is not going to do much because in the end, it will all feel the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezera View Post
    From what I have seen, ESO isn't completely true action combat. It sounds closer to GW2 style which I think is a half way house between traditional style and Tera style.

RaiderZ and Neverwinter both look interesting. After playing Tera's combat I am definitely going to give RaiderZ a spin when I get the time.
    Agree, both game looks awesome, the sad part of being from EU is that you get those bad publishers of well going US mmos like Frogster/Gameforge, I saw RaiderZ had Frogster as publisher, same publisher TERA used for EU...

I liked the customization with RaiderZ even tho I just had one race to choose (human), Neverwinter will be interresting depending who the EU get as publisher, if frogster once more I seem to wait for another year for a decent MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezera View Post

I couldn't help but feel GW2 was closer to 'true combat action' than Tera myself. GW2 had the option to be played rather similarly to standard games like WoW etc but I found it could also be played in quite a hack-and-slash manner, especially with the Warrior. But that's just how I felt when I played them .
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    I couldn't help but feel GW2 was closer to 'true combat action' than Tera myself. GW2 had the option to be played rather similarly to standard games like WoW etc but I found it could also be played in quite a hack-and-slash manner, especially with the Warrior. But that's just how I felt when I played them .
    GW2 is not true action combat its just an hybrid, tera is far more action combat than guild wars, tera just requires you to be more cautious when you're attacking similar to a fighting game, but on topic there's Pso2(phantasy star online 2) western release should be sometime this year.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

there was project copernicus which was being made by the same company that made 'kingdoms of amalur: reckoning' that was supposedly going to be a full-on GoW style action-MMORPG... but complications with the state of rhode island ended up with the studio being unable to secure funding and ended up going bankrupt, fuck rhode island.

Darkfall, currently in beta and soon to be released, you probably won't find a more PvP oriented game with true action combat right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    GW2 is not true action combat its just an hybrid, tera is far more action combat than guild wars, tera just requires you to be more cautious when you're attacking similar to a fighting game, but on topic there's Pso2(phantasy star online 2) western release should be sometime this year.
    Aye I'd agree that GW2 isn't actually true action combat but it felt closer than Tera to me, I just found a lot of restriction in Tera that made it feel a bit like convential combat but with skillshots. I didn't dislike it though and the problems I had could well have been changed. Maybe I'm just looking for something different when it comes to true action combat, that or I'm just wrong .
    Last edited by Nirawen; 2013-01-14 at 11:30 AM.

It depends how true action combat is defined.

The criteria I am using is:

- No targeting
    - Hits are determined by your swing not a dice roll.
    - uhm....can't think what else actually?

Guild Wars 2 does meet those criteria, however it has a few restrictions that make it feel slightly different. Only certain weapons hit all targets within your swing. Swiping with a sword is limited to 3 targets whereas tera if anything is in your swing it will get hit no matter what you are using. There is also some form of 'light' targeting that can influence gameplay - targets can still become the priority of an attack as it is not completely defined by the direction of a crosshair.

Why would someone invest in a MASSIVE multiplayer game which only gamers would play? To be able to run a 'combat' MMO one needs two/three times more expensive hardware than most people have.

Deleted
    Vindictus has one of the best combat of all so called true combat games imo. Not sure about MMO since its not open world.

^

Yep Vindictus would be your game for action combat, Dragon Nest as well.

I don't really consider Tera as a true action combat. The animation roots really bothered me when I played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon nest is one of them, the art-style is a bit of a deterrant for some people but the game is quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I don't really consider Tera as a true action combat. The animation roots really bothered me when I played.
    There are animation roots in Vindictus as well, and I think in Dragon Nest (don't remember as I haven't played that one in quite some time). Heck, I think there are animation locks in most action games I've played, they're just not as pronounced as in Tera.

It's a cost-benefit decision in TERA that reinforces the action combat actually. By rooting you in place for different durations based on the attacks, they're forcing you to plan out your abilities (kinda like a fighting game) so that you can maximize your damage but aren't planting yourself in one place and leaving yourself open to take damage. If you could freely move while using abilities, it would sorta counteract the implementation of their action combat system.

I'm not saying you can't dislike it because of the animation locks (which I know put a number of people off), but that doesn't detract from it still being an actual action combat MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Dragon nest is one of them, the art-style is a bit of a deterrant for some people but the game is quite nice.
    Yeah, it kinda is for me. I normally like weeaboo anime style in games, but something about Dragon Nest is just...eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh. So without some amazeballs gameplay (I thought is was decent, but not great), the aesthetics keep me from really getting into it. Good game though.

Are they in Vindictus? Never really noticed. Probably because the combat is a lot faster paced than Tera.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Yeah, it kinda is for me. I normally like weeaboo anime style in games, but something about Dragon Nest is just...eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh. So without some amazeballs gameplay (I thought is was decent, but not great), the aesthetics keep me from really getting into it. Good game though.
    You have to admit that it has one of the most fluid combat styles on the modern MMO-RPG genre, plus it's free and the game itself encourages you to make big combos and to be constantly moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Are they in Vindictus? Never really noticed. Probably because the combat is a lot faster paced than Tera.
    Yeah, there most definitely are. The combat is a bit faster though as you don't have tons of separate keybound abilities, but rather a set of combination abilities through using the two mouseclicks. You get many more attacks in and the builder attacks have a short animation, but the smash attacks generally have much longer animations.

It's a matter of combat flow/how it "feels". Vindictus has super awesome combat that just feels good because while it does feature animation locking ect., you're using a series of short animation attacks with a "finisher" at the end, and you complete control over it. Tera combat isn't really as fast, as you noted, but I'd say is slightly more tactical in nature.

So both are totally action combat, just different approaches to how it's done (pacing, input method ect.).