View Poll Results: Why Do You Think European Countries Generally Dislike Immigrants?

Voters
292. This poll is closed
  • I don't think they generally dislike immigrants.

76 26.03%
  • Public perception of immigrants is negative due to their crime rates.

59 20.21%
  • Public perception of immigrants is negative due to culture

40 13.70%
  • Public perception of immigrants is due to their lack of assimilation.

89 30.48%
  • Other

28 9.59%
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Kind of simple..

Europeans (Americans as well) fear immigrants...

If immigrants pull half the shit Europeans did/do then current day Europe would be destroyed....

You know the majority of the things immigrants get accused of are stuff Europeans have done themselves towards others (think taking over countries, forcing their law and culture, stealing the wealth)

Deleted
    Because they generally are a burden for society. They don't like being here and makes lots of crime.

Deleted
    I think it's got a lot to do with immigrants not assimilating into our way of life. Most do, but of course you never hear about them, you always hear about the one's who want to bring their customs over to your country and try to make them mainstream (sharia for UK and such). I don't think immigration is a problem really. What pisses me off is when we can't kick someone out of our country because of their human rights to live here. That's bollocks.
    A lot of people from the UK (or atleast where I'm from) dislike the Polish quite a bit. When I was younger I jumped on that bandwagon but now I feel like a fool for doing so. I know quite a few Polish people, have a Polish family living two doors down from me. They're really nice people who work really hard for what they have. Same with a Thai lady who lives next door with her British husband (she's not a Thai bride btw, he lived there for like 30 years). Then I look across the street to see a family of fat, ignorant loud mouth pricks who don't work and have on more than one occasion been racist to the Thai lady because she's "taking our jobs", despite the fact she owns her own buisness. They live off benefits yet have the cheek to call these immigrants a drain on society? Sorry no.
    I'm all for immigrants coming here if they're prepared for work, and most are. It's only the rare cases of "I want free money so ima go UK" that get to the news, and most of the time the stories get twisted. Not fond of Gypsies though, but not sure if they count as immigrants.
    Last edited by mmoc5eb2627b34; 2013-01-15 at 12:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killingifrit View Post
    Brilliant. So what countries do have a culture?
    Countries don't necessarily have cultures. Ethnic regions do as well as ethnic unions. The United States has a culture, for example, since it is technically an ethnic union. Nordic people also have shared culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    Countries don't necessarily have cultures. Ethnic regions do as well as ethnic unions. The United States has a culture, for example, since it is technically an ethnic union. Nordic people also have shared culture.
    Some shared culture due to once being a single. We are still very different in quite a lot of ways.
    Its not even 200 years ago we were at war.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to argue that the United States has a culture then I'm going to need examples of countries that don't, since I don't see how there is one distinct culture here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Some shared culture due to once being a single. We are still very different in quite a lot of ways.
    Its not even 200 years ago we were at war.
    Who won? ;P
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Who won? ;P
    You cheated...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    If you're going to argue that the United States has a culture then I'm going to need examples of countries that don't, since I don't see how there is one distinct culture here.
    States have cultures, the country is far too big to expect similar cultures throughout.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    States have cultures, the country is far too big to expect similar cultures throughout.
    Which is my point. There isn't a singular culture that one can point to.

Quote Originally Posted by zuluslayer View Post
    Because they generally are a burden for society. They don't like being here and makes lots of crime.
    This is absolute BS....

It may be different per country but generally speaking the biggest criminals in absolute numbers in any country are usually the majority. You may have disproportional immigrants in jales based on % of ethnic background but that doesn't change much in terms of ''burden for society''

The biggest damage isn't done by the petty criminal but by the guy whole robs millions/billions.

Also people are so ungrateful, both Europe and the US are rich because of their colonial past (and in case of the US slavery) and having a large population of immigrants who worked (and works) for allot less.

Speaking as someone who lives in the UK:

I'm not against immigration as such. But there are large amounts of immigrants who have no interest in acquiring work and leech benefits having paid no tax in the UK ever, others who will work for less than minimum wage (taking jobs from those of us who demand the legal amount we're entitled to), many who insist they should be living here while refusing to make any conscious effort to learn the basics of the language. They often have their own seperate culture, and despite insistence on living in our country, they refuse to accept the culture and in some cases laws of our country, but instead set up their own communities within towns and refuse to cooperate with the police in any meaningful way.

If I wanted to live in another country, I would make an effort to learn how to communicate, to actually find work and not mooch off of their government, and attempt to become a part of THEIR culture, not have my own little thing by myself and never interact with them ever. There are plenty of immigrants here who are fine, they work, they learn the language, they pay their way, and in every respect become a British citizen. But we're not like the US or other countries that have citizenship tests and requirements, it's very easy to come here and stay segregated. They segregate themselves, and then act upset when they're treated as outsiders. It's THOSE types of immigrants I really don't like.

Uhm...

they don't dislike immigrants. Have you ever been to Texas/California/Arizona/New Mexico? I've been to every one of them except for N.M.
    We don't dislike immigrants true, but we do dislike illegal immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Just quite implicitly aiming at Latinos.
    Is it aimed at Latinos because of their skin color? No, it AFFECTS Latinos most because the OVERWHELMING majority of illegal immigrants in Arizona are Latino.

Is racial profiling actually racist when the profiling is the result of a trend by that race? It's not like the bill says "get rid of all brown people." Rather than calling an attempt to lower crime in this country (illegal immigration is a crime) something with a negative connotation ("racial profiling"), how about you actually explain HOW it is wrong? Is it wrong for the cops to come to your door asking about a robbery if someone said a person who looked like you committed the crime? Maybe that analogy fits into the racist statement "they all look the same," but I've yet to hear ANY legitimate alternative to that bill, yet alone one that was feasible and beneficial to the country (free passes to law-breaking illegal immigrants is not beneficial to the country).

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 01:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    We don't dislike immigrants true, but we do dislike illegal immigrants.
    Exactly, and that's the thing people refuse to acknowledge--those who want to find illegal immigrants and deport them (rather than giving them a pass on a federal crime and free things via welfare) are not against immigrants at all. I lived in a dorm where two roommates were from Ghana and Ethiopia. I was having a discussion of sorts with them (mainly the guy from Ghana) about how I feel about illegal immigrants (deport them; they are criminals), and the kid from Ethiopia asked if I had a problem with his being there. I asked if he was an illegal immigrant, and I think there was a bit of confusion on the term (seeing as he was from Ethiopia). He said he was, then when I said something to the effect of "you're an illegal immigrant?" he stated that he was legally allowed to be here to attend school. I straight-up told him "then I have no problem with your being here."

I've got nothing against people based on where they are from or what their race or gender is. The issue I have is that there are many, MANY people here illegally. I do not care that they "do the work legal citizens do not want to." I do not care about these claims that the agricultural sector of the country will be greatly harmed if we deport illegals--if this country is too lazy/unwilling to do the hard work necessary to help it survive, then we don't deserve to survive.

I get that the law in Arizona can cause racial profiling. I don't support that potential inconvenience/result from it, but there has to be SOME way to check who is and is not allowed to be here. If that means a law-abiding immigrant has to show a green card on occasion, that's not that bad. I mean, is that not worth getting overpopulation in the country under control (to an extent) and helping open up more jobs (even if they're low-level ones) for legal citizens?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Which is my point. There isn't a singular culture that one can point to.
    Yea sorry, wasn't a correction was just expanding on your point.

Anyway, I don't hate immigrants, I hate immigrants that refuse to live with everyone else and instead decide to create communities of their native land and speak their own language etc.

I am a brit living in Sweden and I am learning the language and will become a part of Swedens community instead of trying to surround myself with brits and only talk English.

If you are going to live in a country...LIVE in that country.
    Last edited by mmoc18646deaeb; 2013-01-15 at 03:01 PM.

It depends on the country. But speaking as a Polish American (who immigrated to the States from Poland), most continental + northern Europeans are in a village mentality. There are shared interests and expected commonalities (skin color sometimes, not always). If you don't share them, they won't like you very much. Combine that with the fact they haven't had to deal with a significant immigrant demographic shift in a long time. Personally, I think it's funny. Europeans constantly talked about how Americans are bigoted and how progressive Europeans were yet now they are struggling more than we are.
    Last edited by NewOrleansTrolley; 2013-01-15 at 03:11 PM.

Deleted
    Obviously, the OP already have premade answer to his question..
    It's useless to try to explain things he dont know shit about, and dont want to hear.

Dont feed the troll!

10+ Year Old Account
    all countries have their own culture.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 05:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Xenophobia.
    classy and constructive. not.

its not "fear of the unknown". it is fear of the known. what is known? sky-rising crime rates. majority of inmates are of foreign citizens and citizens with foreign backgrounds. majority of those on social benefits are foreigners. surprisingly, they all come from the same regions. overrepresentation in violent crimes. go back to bed with your petty oneliners.

Quote Originally Posted by Killingifrit View Post
    all countries have their own culture.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 05:30 PM ----------

classy and constructive. not.

its not "fear of the unknown". it is fear of the known. what is known? sky-rising crime rates. majority of inmates are of foreign citizens and citizens with foreign backgrounds. majority of those on social benefits are foreigners. surprisingly, they all come from the same regions. overrepresentation in violent crimes. go back to bed with your petty oneliners.

I bet you the crime rates directly correlets to wealth and not to their foriegn backgrounds...