Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    When I say brutal, I am comparing the levelling process we have in WoW now, compared to what we did have back then. I do remember the old world from what I saw of it in Wrath. Obviously, the time to level 1-70 was nuked, but it was quite different to what we have in place now.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Leveling wasn't harsh and brutal. Never has been.

Calling Shens on this post. Back in the day quests often went up a character level with each follow up. By the time you were on part 10 of that level 20 quest line you would need to be level 30 to stand a chance against the mobs you were pit against. (Hello duskwood/ashenvale!) You had to quest a little in one zone, walk walk walk to another zone you may have not heard of or experienced yet and quest there for a while, walk walk walk to ANOTHER zone to quest some more, than head back to the original zone to start on the follow ups you got originally. It was fine if you were well equipped with Jame's leveling guide that sucked the confusion and aimlessness of questing. For most casuals however, they were left to wonder why doing the next part in a quest was getting them ripped to Worgen shreds.

I was NOT an altoholic in vanilla... after leveling 2 characters to 60 pre-BC, i never wanted to do it again, not until wrath. It was hard enough to push myself to level my 2nd 60.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Calling Shens on this post. Back in the day quests often went up a character level with each follow up. By the time you were on part 10 of that level 20 quest line you would need to be level 30 to stand a chance against the mobs you were pit against. (Hello duskwood/ashenvale!) You had to quest a little in one zone, walk walk walk to another zone you may have not heard of or experienced yet and quest there for a while, walk walk walk to ANOTHER zone to quest some more, than head back to the original zone to start on the follow ups you got originally. It was fine if you were well equipped with Jame's leveling guide that sucked the confusion and aimlessness of questing. For most casuals however, they were left to wonder why doing the next part in a quest was getting them ripped to Worgen shreds.
    Yes. But. Compared to the games that came before WoW, all of that is a pleasant Barbie picnic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    Yes. But. Compared to the games that came before WoW, all of that is a pleasant Barbie picnic.

I'm comparing new wow to old wow. I'm not commenting on whatever retarded system other video games thought was brilliant when they opted to make player characters so pathetically week they needed to be in a group to wipe their own ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    Ultima Online just dropped you in the game and said good luck figure it out!

Leveling in Vanilla was more time consuming and boring than anything. There were decent chunks of time where there were no good quests for your level and you would basically just grind for hours to squeeze out that last half a level. It took me MONTHS to level my mage to 60. I remember just hitting 40 and getting my mount was exciting. This isn't really a rose colored glasses thing, because the game is far better now. I like that Blizzard has made alts accessible so that I can try multiple classes.

It was fine if you were well equipped with Jame's leveling guide that sucked the confusion and aimlessness of questing.
    A million times this. Jame's guide was a fantastic resource and I wish I had discovered it sooner. I think I came across it around level 30.

In Vanilla I had a 60 pally(ally), 60 druid(ally) and a 60 rogue(horde)

I also had alts of various lvls.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Leveling in Vanilla was more time consuming and boring than anything. There were decent chunks of time where there were no good quests for your level and you would basically just grind for hours to squeeze out that last half a level. It took me MONTHS to level my mage to 60. I remember just hitting 40 and getting my mount was exciting. This isn't really a rose colored glasses thing, because the game is far better now. I like that Blizzard has made alts accessible so that I can try multiple classes.

A million times this. Jame's guide was a fantastic resource and I wish I had discovered it sooner. I think I came across it around level 30.
    I remember their being a different one i had used at one time, it was a female name... anyone remember? Joannes or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Ultima Online just dropped you in the game and said good luck figure it out!
    welcome to the world of Warcraft section of these forums, im glad you could come in here to tell us all about other games.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling wasn't harsh, it was challenging and felt worth doing. Now it's a faceroll with no effort required...hence no fun.
    Last edited by Iso; 2013-01-15 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyqu View Post
    welcome to the world of Warcraft section of these forums, im glad you could come in here to tell us all about other games.
    Learn to read whats quoted, buddy.

Edit: Derpie derps?!

10+ Year Old Account
    I got four characters to 60 in Vanilla: Warrior, priest, mage and another priest that I dumped along the way. ^^

15+ Year Old Account
    Learn to read whats quoted, buddy.

Edit: Derpie derps?!

Myself, I only had a single 60 in vanilla. My warlock was around 50 or so at the time BC came out. Although, to be fair, it wasn't just vanilla. Even since then, I've pretty rarely had many level capped toons since then. I had maybe 3 70s in BC, 4-5 80s in Wrath, and 3 85s in Cataclysm. I've never cared much for playing alts.

There was a dude in my guild who had a 60 for every class though. He's done the same thing every expansion and level capped every class.

I remember their being a different one i had used at one time, it was a female name... anyone remember? Joannes or something.
    IIRC, Jame's was Alliance only at first, and Joana's was Horde. This was like 8 years ago though, I could be wrong.

i had one of each class to max lvl in vanillia, and each of the expansions. ive moved on to alot more than 1 of each since and im trying to max my acct for the lulz

Quote Originally Posted by Iso View Post
    Leveling wasn't harsh, it was challenging and felt worth doing. Now it's a faceroll with no effort required...hence no fun.
    Grinding in Shimmering Flats was not challenging, fun, or fulfilling. It was boring and that's why they changed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm well, I started playing a few months before BC and I think my druid was 53 when BC hit. I remember a little later in BC I leveled a priest as well and raided Karazhan and ZA with both characters every week.

I can't remember when I leveled my two shamans, but I'm pretty sure my paladin came in WotlK, my hunter and mage in Cataclysm and my monk in MoP.

It was definitely more difficult to level an alt back when, without heirloom gear and dungeon finders. Still doable, just not as many alts as people have today.

Quote Originally Posted by cyqu View Post
    I guess that's too much for you to understand. My apologies.