Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I do judge people who have significant and visible tattoo coverage.

Why? Because its expensive, and a waste of money. If you have the money to waste, then by all means. But I know people with thousands of dollars worth of tattoos and piercings who like to complain about being broke.

Or they'll get very visible tattoos and complain about how they can't find a job in retail because of Tattoo discrimination, while in the same breath describing the next tattoo they plan to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorbus View Post
    Don't judge a book by it's cover. Really harsh comments, and I think that is poor judgement and shallow mind.
    I've got plenty of tattoos... some of them are "bad" (yell'n White Trash) some "good".
    You can get mad at people for judging a book by its cover and pretend you're taking some moral high ground. The unfortunate truth is that's how the world works.

People are going to judge you if you don't cover your tattoos or take your piercings out before you go to an interview. That's just how it is.

Deleted
    It's glorified self mutilation. Also some are just plain awful, like someone got a Pandaren tattoo, he's so not gonna regret that in 10 years... Why people don't just get temporary ones, at least then you can change it and not have to live with it forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tattoos are awesome! Dem Suicide Girls <3

In a very ironic note, the more outlandish piercings qualify as "Glorified self-mutilation"

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    You can get mad at people for judging a book by its cover and pretend you're taking some moral high ground. The unfortunate truth is that's how the world works.

People are going to judge you if you don't cover your tattoos or take your piercings out before you go to an interview. That's just how it is.
    Just because that's "how the world works" does not mean he doesn't have the moral high ground. He does, and really, everyone who feels affected has the right to complain. Being discriminated by having tattoos or piercings is no different than being discriminated based on your gender, skin colour, nationality, religion, socio-economic background, etc. It is despicable. Such mindset should be purged out of people's minds, and actively discriminating against such people should be punished by law, just like other forms of discrimination who are

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Just because that's "how the world works" does not mean he doesn't have the moral high ground. He does, and really, everyone who feels affected has the right to complain. Being discriminated by having tattoos or piercings is no different than being discriminated based on your gender, skin colour, nationality, religion, socio-economic background, etc. It is despicable. Such mindset should be purged out of people's minds, and actively discriminating against such people should be punished by law, just like other forms of discrimination who are
    I disagree.

The idea that you can do whatever you want with no repercussions is a childish one. You don't get to walk around looking however you want and then bemoan how no one will give you a chance to prove how useful you can be.

It's an almost unparalleled sense of entitlement to think you can walk into an interview with face tattoos and ear piercings and expect to be taken seriously. If you went to a friend of yours... anyone with a professional job and said "That hiring manager was a total dick, man. He practically hand-waved me away just because of my nose-ring and tattoos." Your friend would look at you and choke back a laugh. If you were lucky, he'd only give you a look that said "You are the dumbest twat alive" instead of actually saying it to your face.

If you want a good, professional career you have to look professional. Or you have to have your reputation precede you. And chances are good YOU are not Richard Branson.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not in the majority of settings; what people wish to do with their own bodies is their own business. I would never do extensive tattoo work myself, for a variety of reasons, but I understand its appeal to others. I do draw the line, however, when it come to professional conduct. In that context, I look at it the same way as I would on someone who arrives to work in disheveled clothes and dirty. While some may think it superficial, professionalism is a pretty important concept in a number of fields, and ultimately covering yourself in tattoos is distinctly unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Not in the majority of settings; what people wish to do with their own bodies is their own business. I would never do extensive tattoo work myself, for a variety of reasons, but I understand its appeal to others. I do draw the line, however, when it come to professional conduct. In that context, I look at it the same way as I would on someone who arrives to work in disheveled clothes and dirty. While some may think it superficial, professionalism is a pretty important concept in a number of fields, and ultimately covering yourself in tattoos is distinctly unprofessional.
    What the goddamn goddamn? You're not supposed to agree with me....

I disagree.

The idea that you can do whatever you want with no repercussions is a childish one. You don't get to walk around looking however you want and then bemoan how no one will give you a chance to prove how useful you can be.

It's an almost unparalleled sense of entitlement to think you can walk into an interview with face tattoos and ear piercings and expect to be taken seriously. If you went to a friend of yours... anyone with a professional job and said "That hiring manager was a total dick, man. He practically hand-waved me away just because of my nose-ring and tattoos." Your friend would look at you and choke back a laugh. If you were lucky, he'd only give you a look that said "You are the dumbest twat alive" instead of actually saying it to your face.

If you want a good, professional career you have to look professional. Or you have to have your reputation precede you. And chances are good YOU are not Richard Branson.
    I don't have to look any way other than the way I do. It is my choice. And Richard Branson I am not, but I will take my six figure job, and my tattoos, and be just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the goddamn goddamn? You're not supposed to agree with me....
    Actually, I've noticed that when it doesn't deal with gender issues we agree on a number of topics.

No not really. Although if someone has a massive dragon on their arm, I would think they were incredibly original.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinettik View Post
    I don't have to look any way other than the way I do. It is my choice. And Richard Branson I am not, but I will take my six figure job, and my tattoos, and be just fine.
    Again, tattoos are fine if they can be covered by professional clothing.

If you walk in looking like this, however:

You don't get to complain when you don't get a job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the quality of the tattoo.

If I knew this kid I'd point, laugh, and call them a jackass all day.

I always wonder what people are thinking who have no career and get excessive visible tattoos. They're making it a LOT harder to get a job unless they want to work as at Hot Topic.

I don't really care what people do, but they really are shooting themselves in the foot.

I like tattoos, not so much facial ones but otherwise I don't pay mind unless depending on if its vulgar in some way. I save my judgments until I hear the story behind it, if its something meaningful/referenced something important in their life I find myself with more respect for them compared to someone who just looked through a sketch book and decided something just "looked pretty".
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Depends on the quality of the tattoo.

If I knew this kid I'd point, laugh, and call them a jackass all day.
    What the heck? I don't know what's worse, that he gave it to him wrong, or that the artist didn't notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    But it is not, and it is this type of ignorance that hinders us as people. Why in any way does my ink negatively affect my professionalism? Did I somehow become less knowledgeable? Did my courteous nature somehow get misplaced? Did the fact that I have ink in any way at all change the great work I do? Answer yes to one of those, then we may have a real conversation, until then, you are just another typical ignorant person.

But it is not, and it is this type of ignorance that hinders us as people. Why in any way does my ink negatively affect my professionalism? Did I somehow become less knowledgeable? Did my courteous nature somehow get misplaced? Did the fact that I have ink in any way at all change the great work I do? Answer yes to one of those, then we may have a real conversation, until then, you are just another typical ignorant person.
    Where do you have the ink?

And again, when you're first meeting someone, it doesn't matter what you are on the inside as much as what you are on the outside. Disney movies make a fucking fortune lying to people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to answer your questions with a question of my own. Do you agree that there are people who are put off by the presence of tattoos even outside of professional dress?

Again, tattoos are fine if they can be covered by professional clothing.

If you walk in looking like this, however:

*snip*

You don't get to complain when you don't get a job.
    That's the thing though. We are not the ones complaining, you are. You judge us, predetermined, based on art, then turn around, and claim that we are lazy, lower class, degrading, non-motivated, unprofessional, etc, etc..... bring our mental state into question, all the while claiming you don't judge. Hypocritical. Like I said, I am this person you describe, multiple tattoos (full sleeves, etc), piercings, yet in my short time on this earth, I have owned a company, had a family (3 kids) and make a better living than 95% of the people on this forum. Where exactly did I complain again....