Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Modern inventor for the internet commits suicide

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/13/169264...fetime-of-work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz

Yet this will not get 1/10000th the attention that steve jobs got.

10+ Year Old Account
    Steve Jobs wasn't even a particularly nice guy. But whatever.

It's pretty sad this guy chose suicide, pretty crappy decision if you ask me. But the reasons for them wanting to throw him in prison for 35 years is pretty ridiculous, and if I remember right, Anonymous took over the MIT website to say as much about that.

He'll be missed, that's for sure.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Someone posted "Do or do not, there is no try" as a Steve Jobs quote few weeks ago on Facebook. It's sad that a guy that exploited others and stole ideas gets so much attention, but the real geniuses don't get anything.

Deleted
    I'd like to point out that Steve Jobs didn't commit suicide.

Cybran, if you think Steve Jobs wasn't a genius in his field, you really need to do something we like to call "research". He was an innovator, and remarkable in the field of computing. Look up Bill Gates' thoughts about Steve and you'll find even he agrees. And if you can't take Mr. Gates' word on it as truth, then I can't help you.

Also, everyone at the top exploits. Jobs, Gates, Trump, Rockefeller, Hughes, you name it. Someone gets taken advantage of.
    "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

-The Doctor, Voyage of the Damned

10+ Year Old Account
    This truly sad. The other horrific this is that prisons ARE so bad alot would choose death over them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also think it's somewhat sad that, given the first couple posts, this is likely to turn into a thread about steve jobs. It's like it's a self fulfilling prophecy or something...

On topic, a truly terrible way to go... A shame about the history of depression. The "decades in prison" seems overly harsh, though I suppose there's no way to know if that would have gone through.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-01-15 at 08:07 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister Knight View Post
    Cybran, if you think Steve Jobs wasn't a genius in his field, you really need to do something we like to call "research". He was an innovator, and remarkable in the field of computing. Look up Bill Gates' thoughts about Steve and you'll find even he agrees. And if you can't take Mr. Gates' word on it as truth, then I can't help you.

Also, everyone at the top exploits. Jobs, Gates, Trump, Rockefeller, Hughes, you name it. Someone gets taken advantage of.
    What did he Innovate exactly? He was merely a shrewd Business man, he invented nothing, he developed nothing.

He Handed Pixar to Disney the instant they became a success, instead of keeping them himself, this was a very unwise move as Pixar are not the most lucrative Animation house in the Western World.

He bought the patents of a British man for the idevices, and purposely told him to never upgrade anything majorly in designs, wrote a long widing snake-oil contract to ensure the guy could never own any of the patents he ever designed again and paid him peanuts.

He developed a vast culture of personality to sell his inferior, cheaper marked PCs as a "Cool" and "Hip" thing so he could sell them for a 500% profit.

He had Apple production moved to China to work off the backs of thousands of Chinese people who he then paid nothing to.

If anything, Steve Jobs is the sterotypical Coroporate monster who led a campaign of lies, shilling and mistrust to devour the money of lackwitted fools. Steve Jobs was never an Innovator, he was a Salesman.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 08:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I also think it's somewhat sad that, given the first couple posts, this is likely to turn into a thread about steve jobs. It's like it's a self fulfilling prophecy or something...

On topic, a truly terrible way to go... A shame about the history of depression. The "decades in prison" seems overly harsh, though I suppose there's no way to know if that would have gone through.
    All because the man stood for the free Web, he was basically bullied by the Government.

A damn shame.

So that makes it Ok? If i stab someone would it be Ok? After all a lot of people do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    So that makes it Ok? If i stab someone would it be Ok? After all a lot of people do it.
    I like how he quotes gates among them, When Bill Gates is one of the most clean businessmen to ever live.

He is literally everything people thought about Steve Jobs, but he doesn't get that attention because EVIL MICROSOFT.

I think the amount of impact he even has with Microsoft anymore is minute.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the smeg is the modern internet? It was invented by the British.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Things like RSS, Torrents and Blogs and all that.

Web 2.0 as it's often called.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Things like RSS, Torrents and Blogs and all that.

Web 2.0 as it's often called.
    Maybe I'm getting old but what is wrong with associating those things specifically to the poor sod? He didn't invent any version of the internet, merely added stuff to something that already existed.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Deleted
    Maybe I'm getting old but what is wrong with associating those things specifically to the poor sod? He didn't invent any version of the internet, merely added stuff to something that already existed.
    He was part of RSS 1.0 development, that paved the way for Torrents and infomation feeding that drastically changed the face of the internet and the way people process and throw around infomation.

Perhaps I am bigging him up a bit, he didn't exactly DRAMATICALLY change anything but make basically a news feed, but it brought about the feed development cycle of the internet.

He is a pretty important person for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the internet, not the internet itself.

Just cause it's done a lot does not make it any more acceptable.
    I also do not want to go into the innovation thing again, this isn't an Steve / Apple thread.

Personally I find this saddening how lawyers are just... retarded. Company didn't even wanted to prosecute.

10+ Year Old Account
    RSS. bittorrent protocol, co founder of the creative commons license, co founder of reddit.

This guy's entire life has been about the freedom of information and spreading it around to everyone so that knowledge isn't a private affair.

Everyone has the right to all knowledge in the world and it shouldn't be held ransom for 10000s of dollars that people in the western world alone can't afford, let alone poor continents like africa or non developed asia.

This guy is the modern day Dennis Ritchie, the modern day Alan Turing. He wanted to bring the internet to its name "The WORLD WIDE web".

His entire life was for the goal of spreading the wealth of information the internet possesses and make it available to everyone. But now he's dead, from government persecution, not even the universities that he stole from. From an unrelated 3rd party that has made its intentions very clear over the last decade; Keep the internet regulated and under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    This guy is the modern day Dennis Ritchie, the modern day Alan Turing.
    This guy's work was incredible and certainly helped shape the modern web we use, but it's completely unfair to Ritchie and fucking Turing to put him in that category. Engineering new and highly influential Web technology does not even come close to conceiving the very foundations for computability, or building the foundation for which all computing systems are build via software.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    This guy's work was incredible and certainly helped shape the modern web we use, but it's completely unfair to Ritchie and fucking Turing to put him in that category. Engineering new and highly influential Web technology does not even come close to conceiving the very foundations for computability, or building the foundation for which all computing systems are build via software.
    Maybe Turing and Ritchie were a bit of a stretch but I just wrote that post off the top of my head and they were the most prominent people I could think of.

But still this guy's achievements in only 26 years were far greater than most people, including myself most likely, will ever do in their entire lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    But still this guy's achievements in only 26 years were far greater than most people, including myself most likely, will ever do in their entire lives.
    That I'll absolutely agree with, and sorry that I didn't add my love for the guy on my post. In addition to being a genius and innovator, the guy brought on entire social changes throughout the world and that's absolutely something I'd categorize with the likes of Steve Jobs. His technological innovations and social stances are every bit as important as the iPhone and Facebook, in my eyes.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh good job government for f'ing things up and making the guy suicide like the people didn't even give a F but the government: NOPE NOT OFF THE HOOK DC

Good work.