Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Whenever i relog from Tera to WoW i get a bit of a shock, and that's mainly to do with the character models.
    Would i stop playing ? No.

But when you look at the odd shaped human / orc feet and clipping animations you can't deny they need an update. ( as well as with general polygon count on every race before Worgen )
    Whenever i watch tales of the past again if im bored i wished i could say '' back to the game for better models '' but when i log in im still looking at the same square shaped weird proportions i'm looking at in the machinima that is almost 6 years old.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    then stay in TERA and dont play wow, and i can guarantee that you would say oh.. tera developers are lazy becausse they not offer this and that and wow does...

if i could get 5 cents for every player saying "im going to stop playing wow blizzard" ... really blizzard is not going to change everything just because someone is whinning about something they already know they had to change.... and using the "IM GOING TO STOP PLAYING" is like mom jokes in college...
    Last edited by Washuwa; 2013-01-15 at 05:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Just play MMO's that have devs that realize character appearance is important to many. I try to ignore my characters in WoW, not only do the models look like dogshit but gear is painted on to those shitty models and is just terrible as a whole. In other words, look straight pay attention to what's happening in the game and not on your character lol
    But not much is happening in the game either. Tank & spank or recycled tactics don't excite me.

Looks to me like this is them hinting at trolls maybe becoming the first updated models, and this would make me want to play trolls and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Looks to me like this is them hinting at trolls maybe becoming the first updated models, and this would make me want to play trolls and enjoy it.
    the whole body is still 6 sided. if models are going to be updated. its not going to be off this model.

Quote Originally Posted by Edds View Post
    the whole body is still 6 sided. if models are going to be updated. its not going to be off this model.
    They wont change them so much that people cant recognize it from the origional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Why the fuck does it have to be a binary situation? It's not an issue of either/or here.
    If you can't appreciate how radically different your old model would look with living expressions and reactions like a Pandaren, maybe you should just leave others be without pulling a false dilemma like that. Or maybe you just want to announce your standards. But you seem to be implying people who appreciate visuals are shallow or superficial and that attitude get's passed around gaming communities like a dogmatic meme.
    You are reading waaaay to far into my post. I would not mind seeing better graphics in WoW. I am arguing however that improving the graphics that are already in game should be lower priority than things like adding new content, fixing bugs, improving game play. Something that they can do on the side but not focus on. I don't think graphics are totally unimportant, but I don't think its worth quitting the game over.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edds View Post

6 sided?
    what do you mean?

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

10+ Year Old Account
    I would not mind seeing better graphics in WoW. I am arguing however that improving the graphics that are already in game should be lower priority than things like adding new content, fixing bugs, improving game play.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Gamplay > Gfx (within reason).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the0o View Post
    6 sided?
    what do you mean?
    Means chop her in half at the waist and you'll have a hexagon. Honestly the bulk of the model is the near decade old geometry. She has a marginally larger texture area and a few changes to the body's geometry, but nearly all of the "omfg updated looks so good" is in the armor.

Someone who knows what they're doing can fake geometry detail and overall shaping pretty well using textures, add in that a great number of people don't know what to look for/have trouble interpreting a textured model, and you have the results all over the forum.

The model stripped of armor and textures would have barely any more detail or refined form than the one on live, if they even differed at all. I'd agree the new models are unlikely to be anything like that. If they are, they will be extremely disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Augh View Post
    Means chop her in half at the waist and you'll have a hexagon. Honestly the bulk of the model is the near decade old geometry. She has a marginally larger texture area and a few changes to the body's geometry, but nearly all of the "omfg updated looks so good" is in the armor.

Someone who knows what they're doing can fake geometry detail and overall shaping pretty well using textures, add in that a great number of people don't know what to look for/have trouble interpreting a textured model, and you have the results all over the forum.

The model stripped of armor and textures would have barely any more detail or refined form than the one on live, if they even differed at all. I'd agree the new models are unlikely to be anything like that. If they are, they will be extremely disappointing.
    you know they are just going to use a mesh smooth and redo the hands and feet for most of the old models.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    I just don't see why they can't hire more people.

Right, I know that changing the people who work on a game changes the game (/tinfoilhat the A team moving to Titan /tinfoilhat) but good God Blizzard is slow.

I'd certainly want more quality content as opposed to models which will lose their shine in a month, but it's getting a bit ridiculous. Have you seen Tauren lately? :\
    As you say. Change the people working on the game and the game will change. If you hire new people to make the new models they will have a completely different feeling from the other models in the game. Look at the very good fanmade models for Thrall (just google it). It looks very good but you can easily tell that this model isn't made by Blizzard and wouldn't fit into the game.

Also keep in mind that a lot of players are used to how their character looks like and changing the models too drastic could cause a bigger outcry than the one from people who want new models. In addition you have to understand how the models and gear interact. When you make a completely new model with new animations (as Blizzard plans to do) you need to make sure that you can use all the old gear textures that are put on your chest or legs and that all 3D models in-game like mounts, weapons, helmets, cloaks, belt buckles and shoulders can be used (with a little bit of scaling like always) with the new character models.

Unique models like the new Troll model for forest, frost, desert and jungle Troll (used in the Council of Elders encounter) are a lot easier to make because they have only one itemset to wear.

Sounds like a poor reason to quit a game, graphics don't make a game, gameplay and story does. WoW has both great gameplay and story, but that is just me.

I would love to see new models though at least give us a little glimpse to show that they are working on them.
    Excited

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noqr View Post
    Yes, how about they just whip up some new character models!

They have assloads of work to do, and that isn't a important project.
    Hire more people. You would think 10 million players paying 15$ a month could cause that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulls191 View Post
    Sounds like a poor reason to quit a game, graphics don't make a game, gameplay and story does. WoW has both great gameplay and story, but that is just me.

I would love to see new models though at least give us a little glimpse to show that they are working on them.
    Well there is a good chance the new Orc models will look like the Cataclysm Thrall model which was excellently done aside from the walk.

I would care more if all the games that push "Zomg epic customization/gear" were any fun to play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    Hire more people. You would think 10 million players paying 15$ a month could cause that.
    People need to realize that all the money in the world won't buy you artists you can instantly work into the team and magically expect to be consistent with the current art style overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Dreading the day more than anticipating it. The new trolls look atrocious and I don't really want them fucking around with all the other races like that.
    Personally, I think the new troll looks amazing. You can tell its a troll, and it has 10x the detail. For people like you who dislike them, there's likely going to be an option to turn them off and use the old ones if I had to imagine, similar to what EQ did with Luclin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Augh View Post

Awesome thanks.

So is there a way to compare a bare model of the current troll to the "new" troll model so we can see the improvements?

Also could this model be adjusted into a "decent" player model?

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    Mario Kart 64 is still the best racing game ever made. Just because the Wii version is 'prettier' doesn't mean it's a better game. 4 of my top 5 favourite games of all time are games that were made Pre-2005.
    Yeah, the best racing game of all time has an item that automatically seeks out the player in first place and throws them off the track. /sarcasm

Please.
    Look! Words!