Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Strange, I always thought players in top guilds wanted to top the meters and are naturally competitive and self reliant when it comes to min maxing. If they don't because it is a small gain then apparently that is the playing field of your guild. Now then lets say you as management want to keep this high. But since time is limited and if people do not see the need for this (compared to other min maxing), or value of it (idem), then who are you to complain?

Other people have summed up your options already: track the valor buff (not water proof due to alts), track the VP achievement (assuming it is character only) or tracking armories to see if they upgraded their items.

If you have issues getting VP cap doing daily challenge mode is both fun as well as competitive and doesn't take too long. Getting an in progress LFR with a bunch of healers should also be pretty quick, and zerging through a daily HC as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmeh View Post
    Yeah, some guilds did it with minimal gear, and they're the top guilds in the world for a reason. The amount of time they put in and the skill that they have is much greater than everyone else.

No matter how you swing it, the more gear you have, the lower the skill/time requirement to clear content is.
    This is a far too common mind set ppl fall into. They think since world first guilds did things in lower lvls of gear they can and should too. It is about the same as thinking since Bill Gates didn't finish college but is a billionaire we should all drop out of college. It is just a cop-out reason for ppl to slack on gear or whatever else it might be or on the flip side one for ppl to explain their lack of progression.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsforyou View Post
    This. As the MT for our guild once i am raid ready i don't do daily's or 5 mans. I play alts or whatever when we are not raiding. The gear upgrade thing is retarded and i will not change the way i play the game for a slight upgrade.
    How is it retarded?

Just because it doesn't suit you or your playstyle doesn't mean its retarded. I personally think its a good additon and objectively I don't see many downsides.

If you're in a top 30 world guild, one would think your raiders would be self motivated enough to cap each week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringgotts View Post
    What really should happen is Blizzard should just MAKE FUCKING VALOR POINTS BE CAPABLE THROUGH RAIDING EXCLUSIVELY. Every other method of obtaining VP can be done exclusively; and no LFR is NOT raiding. I put in 10 to 14 hours a week raiding, the remaining 2 hours a week that I play this game I don't want to spend doing monotonous content.
    Normal clear + Guild LFR = more than capped by raiding (consider LFR as a warm up).
    25 man guild has its advantages, but even 10 organized people can run a LFR with 15 monkeys.
    Last edited by Wythel; 2012-12-11 at 12:57 PM.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have a few ideas about tracking it now. One with weak auras tracking the buff is a good one.
    As for the discussion on how important or justified it is to even track something like this...someone said above it's about trust and about having people sharing the common goal. When you have 35 or so raiders in your team there will always be some of them that either not work as hard as the others or they simply can't make it sometimes. I am willing to help them and make a friendly reminder about their cap, not going to force anyone to do anything. But I would like to know who are the people who put more effort than the others, as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Pfeew..this is tough stuff. You wanna stalk your fellow raiders like raiding is a job or school?

I tend to remind people with your "you have to cap valor" that guilds beat all normal modes in ilv 463 gear and beat all heroic modes so fast, they couldn't even have attained two items of VP gear. It all came from LFRaid and normal raids of one week, 5 mans and 1 piece from a VP vendor.

But ofc if you want to admit in your guild gear > skill...
    May as well not ask your raiders to gem/enchant their gear then. It uses the same arguments as you're using, and is every bit as valid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radalek View Post
    Ever since new system in 5.1 was introduced I feel urged to remind my fellow raiders how important it is to get that weekly valor cap. Since you will need 20+ weeks of capping to be able to upgrade all your BiS pieces there's no room for slacking. Yet some people always will and I want to make sure my raiders do get valor cap every week. What I would like to know is there a way/addon to track how many valor points each person in the guild earned for the week? Is that even possible to do.
    quit being an elitist like this unless you clear all heroic bosses each week. it takes 6 months of valor to upgrade all BIS items. using it on items other than BIS heroic is wasteful.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you are that hard core then get rid of them and get people who will. Tell them it's a 50 dkp - or something but don't QQ or try to go all big brother and monitor peoples playtime. That's just creepy and makes you look like a... well lots of bad things as well as some psych issues. Make rules, and if people aren't ready to follow them simply get some who will... duh

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    How is it retarded?

Just because it doesn't suit you or your playstyle doesn't mean its retarded. I personally think its a good additon and objectively I don't see many downsides.
    The downside is that if you don't cap a single week you can never realistically catch up. After 20 weeks when you actually could catch up, the new tier will probably be out.

This addition is another that makes WoW feel like a chore, just like the required 45 daily quests per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    The downside is that if you don't cap a single week you can never realistically catch up. After 20 weeks when you actually could catch up, the new tier will probably be out.

This addition is another that makes WoW feel like a chore, just like the required 45 daily quests per week.
    I love doing anything in the game that gives me an advantage. If you don't think the VP upgrade is worth your time, don't do it.

Don't have time to skim the entire thread atm --

What you could do is check their Valor achievement on the Armory. I don't know how often it updates that number, but theoretically it should now go up by exactly 1000 every 7 days if they are capping.

I find this whole topic strange. I play fairly casual, a few dailies, help a couple of friends with heroics, only do the second half of HoF LRF and Terrace LFR. I'm usually valor capped by Friday. I don't go out of my way for it, it just happens via normal play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Don't have time to skim the entire thread atm --

What you could do is check their Valor achievement on the Armory. I don't know how often it updates that number, but theoretically it should now go up by exactly 1000 every 7 days if they are capping.
    if you have been playing and raiding for as long as valor has been out you posibbly have the highest version of this so it won't work.

Well you know this buff you get when having valor capped on at least one of your chars per realm?
    You could have a meeting tuesdays, check for missing buffs and then take action.

Have a talk with a healer with some addon like grid or voodooh, he sureley can make the buff visible so you can spot on one eyesight who has yet to cap.

Why would anyone not cap? Take 30 minutes to do a random heroic and a random scenario 3 days out of the week, and killing raid bosses fills in the rest. Easy peasy. I doubt anyone raiding more than casually would even consider skipping the cap for a week. And if you are casual raiding, who cares?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radalek View Post
    Ever since new system in 5.1 was introduced I feel urged to remind my fellow raiders how important it is to get that weekly valor cap. Since you will need 20+ weeks of capping to be able to upgrade all your BiS pieces there's no room for slacking. Yet some people always will and I want to make sure my raiders do get valor cap every week. What I would like to know is there a way/addon to track how many valor points each person in the guild earned for the week? Is that even possible to do.
    My god am I glad I'm not in your guild. I already have a full time job. I don't need to pick up a game as a second part time job......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    My god am I glad I'm not in your guild. I already have a full time job. I don't need to pick up a game as a second part time job......
    Valor capping isn't terribly difficult. I'm typically capped by mid-lockout (the weekend) by simply doing dailies, LFR, and one or two daily heroics.

I feel like this thread is full of angry people who are like, "well I am doing this so these other people better be too, God damnit!" (with a lot of clenched threateneing fists)
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    I feel like this thread is full of angry people who are like, "well I am doing this so these other people better be too, God damnit!" (with a lot of clenched threateneing fists)
    We call this phenomenon grind envy. "I had to work hard for my purple and this guy is getting it for free, its not fair!! "