Thread: How to focus

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How to focus

I have this friend and her mind tends to seek excitement and is constantly on high alert and she tends to fidget a lot and can't sit still.

How does she focus and stay on track to avoid certain awkward situations?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    why do you want her to sit still ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

Deleted
    Weed, it tends to calm down people, it also might simulate stupidity(or a grade in higher philisophy) pun intended
    Alternatives apart from drugs I do not have. Try asking her?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mexa View Post
    why do you want her to sit still ?
    Ok the problem isn't physical as much as a mental one. Her mind wonders off all the time and her friend thinks that she is not talking to him so that means she doesn't like him anymore which is ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    She quite possibly has ADHD or something. I'm the same way. I manage it with caffeine, a coffee/soda/pill once every 3-4 hours or so is usually plenty to let me focus. Stimulants in general will tend to help if the issue is ADHD, counterintuitively (you'd think they'd make you MORE hyper/distracted), depressants will exacerbate it.

If it's an issue for her, though, she should find a qualified psychiatrist and get a proper diagnosis.

This friend of yours, is it you?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Hyper-sensitivity is also a major symptom of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder.

Sooo we start classifying a normal range of human behavior as an illness?

From what you described so far, i see nothing "wrong" with her nor any need to medicate wth

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Sooo we start classifying a normal range of human behavior as an illness?

From what you described so far, i see nothing "wrong" with her nor any need to medicate wth
    Every kind of human behaviour that isn't normal is an illness these days. Kids aren't stupid anymore: they are gifted, only they lack concentration and face mental challenges etc...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Every kind of human behaviour that isn't normal is an illness these days. Kids aren't stupid anymore: they are gifted, only they lack concentration and face mental challenges etc...
    Yeah except if you've ever witnessed someone on constant high-alert (which I interpeted as something along the lines of Hyper-sensitivity) You'd see that it's very not normal and having had it for about 6 months when I returned from Afghanistan I can safely say that I knew I was not normal, I didn't enjoy my life with it and I needed help.

What I didn't need was people telling me "ahhh you're fine, it's normal".

True, sadly "normal" is very narrowly defined...
    No more "classes" being boring as shit, nope, its kids that have adhd.
    No more parents or adults making stupid requests, nope, its kids who have confrontational disorder...

*Sighs*

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 09:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Yeah except if you've ever witnessed someone on constant high-alert (which I interpeted as something along the lines of Hyper-sensitivity) You'd see that it's very not normal and having had it for about 6 months when I returned from Afghanistan I can safely say that I knew I was not normal, I didn't enjoy my life with it and I needed help.

What I didn't need was people telling me "ahhh you're fine, it's normal".
    That is very true, but you cant diagnose someone based on just this, what he describes seems perfectly normal, met a couple of people like that, mostly girls.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    She quite possibly has ADHD or something. I'm the same way. I manage it with caffeine, a coffee/soda/pill once every 3-4 hours or so is usually plenty to let me focus. Stimulants in general will tend to help if the issue is ADHD, counterintuitively (you'd think they'd make you MORE hyper/distracted), depressants will exacerbate it.

If it's an issue for her, though, she should find a qualified psychiatrist and get a proper diagnosis.
    She went to the local Psychiatric Department for an assessment on Friday as her General Practitioner has been writing to them as they initially refused. The GP however, wrote to them again after she got herself into trouble on the net so they agreed to see her. The lady at the end of the assessment was happy that my friend was OK now and was on anti-depressants (Sertraline 50mg) which seemed to have helped lately.

So they have in effect discharged her after the initial assessment.

I am afraid for her as she seems to take a lot of risks with her safety and doesn't learn from mistakes. She came across well in the assessment and was very convincing (she can act really well) so the lady who did the assessment was convinced that she is fine now. My friend is also really bad at following directions when driving and literally has to have another person on the phone to direct her to a particular destination even though she might have been there before previously. This doesn't include the locality.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 10:17 PM ----------

Weed, it tends to calm down people, it also might simulate stupidity(or a grade in higher philisophy) pun intended
    Alternatives apart from drugs I do not have. Try asking her?
    Never been offered Weed, and she never hung out with people who might let her try some lol.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 11:07 PM ----------

Hyper-sensitivity is also a major symptom of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder.
    Can years of systematic trauma cause such a condition especially if she was left alone to fend for herself up to the age of about 9?

You have to wait one turn after focusing.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I spam the fuck out of caffeine. Your mileage may vary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisif View Post
    Can years of systematic trauma cause such a condition especially if she was left alone to fend for herself up to the age of about 9?
    Post-traumatic Stress Disorder can be triggered by any major incident. Accident, death, trauma, illness, crime, war, violence, or anything that causes distress really. It's worth reading up on. Sometimes it doesn't even happen straight away - sometimes it can manifest itself over time, or just explode years later.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/expertadvic...dkeyfacts.aspx

I set up a second monitor to play sitcoms.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I spam the fuck out of caffeine. Your mileage may vary.
    Hey, ordered caffeine pills off Amazon 200mg, let's see if they help

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 07:13 AM ----------

Post-traumatic Stress Disorder can be triggered by any major incident. Accident, death, trauma, illness, crime, war, violence, or anything that causes distress really. It's worth reading up on. Sometimes it doesn't even happen straight away - sometimes it can manifest itself over time, or just explode years later.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/expertadvic...dkeyfacts.aspx
    Thanks, I am not big on labeling what I have or feel but all I know is I "feel" what others people are thinking or are going through. Maybe I am hypersensitive, who knows....(will read the link you provided, and my father was a soldier and fought in Burma when he was alive so thank you sir!)

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 07:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I set up a second monitor to play sitcoms.
    Hey instead of celebrating birthdays and having christmas parties, why don't we give each other gifts of being kind, generous, giving our time (a huge gift) and listening to children for a change. Being there for them no matter what and supporting them and their needs and giving security by having a solid base they come back to.

Hey, ordered caffeine pills off Amazon 200mg, let's see if they help

Thanks, I am not big on labeling what I have or feel but all I know is I "feel" what others people are thinking or are going through. Maybe I am hypersensitive, who knows....(will read the link you provided, and my father was a soldier and fought in Burma when he was alive so thank you sir!)
    Im pretty sure stimulants like caffeine will make it worse. She probably does it because she drinks too much coffee or energy drinks. The best things to do would be to "Use up energy" by exercising or doing something mentally taxing to make her tired or if its actually medical theres drugs like Ritalin that lower your energy level.

Hey instead of celebrating birthdays and having christmas parties, why don't we give each other gifts of being kind, generous, giving our time (a huge gift) and listening to children for a change. Being there for them no matter what and supporting them and their needs and giving security by having a solid base they come back to.
    I... don't understand why you replied to me with that... Are you saying I'll be a bad parent who don't listen to my children?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Im pretty sure stimulants like caffeine will make it worse. She probably does it because she drinks too much coffee or energy drinks. The best things to do would be to "Use up energy" by exercising or doing something mentally taxing to make her tired or if its actually medical theres drugs like Ritalin that lower your energy level.
    It depends on the issue.

If you're hyper because you're overcaffeinated, sure, more caffeine will make it worse.

If you're hyper and unfocused because you have ADHD, the traditional meds are all stimulants, including caffeine. Which is why my psychiatrist eventually settled on a prescription for caffeine, when I went to see him during my fourth year of university with focus issues even on stuff I really enjoyed, and he eventually diagnosed me with ADHD after reviewing my records back to kindergarten, with almost every report card saying "trouble paying attention" or "can't sit still" or the like.

Ritalin, as well, is a stimulant. That's why kids take it as a study aid; it's a booster like caffeine, but stronger (which is why it's prescription-only).