Poll: Should NASA have a higher budget?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should NASA have a higher budget?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA

Do you feel that NASA should have a higher budget, and if so what programs should have spending cut to make that happen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, because the only way for us to grow more is up and out! I'd vote taking some of the defense budget that needs to be cut anyways, and put it into NASA.

Of course.

What programs have to be cut? Large farm subsidies, corporate tax breaks, and defense all need to be cut. For every 3 dollars we cut 1 dollar of that should be added to NASA's budget and we should task them to be mining asteroids and having a colony on MARS by 2030.

100% for yes, may as well close the poll!

I think NASA are one of those great agencies that everyone should get behind, they work with all the best people from all across the world and pump out technology into so many other branches of society.

What crazy fool would say no? I want my Flying RocketCar Coffeemachine gizmo, and in a timely fashion, too

Easy for me to say as I am not American and won't end up paying either way :P Spend everything on NASA!

>.>

<.<

In all seriousness though without actually knowing what is going on at NASA throwing more and more money at them may not exactly get the result one would like to see.

Not just Nasa but any scientific field that's aided by government funds and yes our spending on the Military needs to be cut back. We'd get more out of scientific advancements than we would from buying more fighter jets and tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Easy for me to say as I am not American and won't end up paying either way :P Spend everything on NASA!

In all seriousness though without actually knowing what is going on at NASA throwing more and more money at them may not exactly get the result one would like to see.
    You could replace Nasa with just about any government funded science group and while you are right that throwing more money at it won't necessarily get the advancements here quicker it wouldn't exactly hurt either.
    Last edited by Dedweight; 2013-01-16 at 08:47 AM.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do note, however, that a lot of military funding goes into aeronautics. There are military interests in space as well (satellites and such). It might be all bombs and stuff, but we still learn the same stuff along the way. That being said, I am of the opinion that we do not need to be spending so much on the military in the first place, and could simply pay NASA straight. I feel almost like we're going out of our way to fight this war, and it doesn't really sit well with me, but that's another argument entirely.

And Dedweight, military funding isn't just "buying more fighter jets and tanks." A lot of it is spend on R&D, and war has been known to be a breeding ground for scientific innovation. Just playing devil's advocate a bit here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Static Transit View Post
    Do note, however, that a lot of military funding goes into aeronautics. There are military interests in space as well (satellites and such). It might be all bombs and stuff, but we still learn the same stuff along the way. That being said, I am of the opinion that we do not need to be spending so much on the military in the first place, and could simply pay NASA straight. I feel almost like we're going out of our way to fight this war, and it doesn't really sit well with me, but that's another argument entirely.

And Dedweight, military funding isn't just "buying more fighter jets and tanks." A lot of it is spend on R&D, and war has been known to be a breeding ground for scientific innovation. Just playing devil's advocate a bit here.
    While true, they are also pretty well known for excessive red tape, beurocracy, and excessive spending where a cheaoer and just as good alternative is available. My bf was an Airforce mechanic, and he could tell you stories...

Every country in the world shud be obligated to give NASA 50billions a year for increased research

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

When america has paid their debt. Which currently is $16,066,241,407,385.80. Then we can talk about adding more funds to NASA. Untill the numbers on the state finance are green instead of red. All saving cuts should go towards paying off dept.

You really dont flip things around for the better, by spending money you don't have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    When america has paid their debt. Which currently is $16,066,241,407,385.80. Then we can talk about adding more funds to NASA. Untill the numbers on the state finance are green instead of red. All saving cuts should go towards paying off dept.

You really dont flip things around for the better, by spending money you don't have.
    When you're in debt, the first things you cut are your biggest expeces. NASA's isnt even 2%, so it isnt even worth cutting. You could argue that cutting it even more would harm our research and space potential even more.

I like the one guys suggestion that for every 3$ cut, 1$ should be invested back into NASA up to a certain threshold.

Meanwhile the military just keeps getting more and more funding.

Yes, NASA is working towards the future. A Star Trek type world. Rates much higher on the priority list then other sources of Government Funding.

NASA should be the budget.

Welfare, healthcare, warfare, who cares. Science fair is where it's at.

10+ Year Old Account

NASA has traditionally had an 8 dollar return rate for every one dollar spent, owing to contracts, patents, etc. It is a moneymaker, not a drain, and even if it were not space exploration and travel is so critical to the survival of the species that it becomes high priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. We need to stop building sport stadiums and making movies and use that money for something useful.

Deleted
    No,Their budget seems fine to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingHollowVeteran View Post
    Yep. We need to stop building sport stadiums and making movies and use that money for something useful.
    But without bread and circuses, how will we keep the proles entertained?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anabolicz View Post
    Every country in the world shud be obligated to give NASA 50billions a year for increased research
    Yes because NASA is the only entity that is conducting space research.

Deleted
    I think the science budget in general needs to be taken alot more seriously.