Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    But there are five or six divisions within each tier, correct?

So...in the rare occasions when someone gets "lucky" during placement...you'll meet them when you move up...but if you continue to improve and reach the upper levels of a tier, those players won't be there.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Deleted
    Well, I sure hope it will be resolved somehow. It would be bad enough to be stuck like that in SCII, where the (un?)lucky guy alone suffers in league way above their level. In LoL, where along with himself being steamrolled he'd drag 4 other people down as well, it'd be a terrible flaw.

Deleted
    Well heres the thing: You´ll never be demoted but your ELO will go down so far you´ll eventually play with players your skill level. So imagine you still being in diamond and still playing with silver players.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    How will placement work with this new system? There's one thing that really worries me - people could get WAY over their skill level via a couple lucky wins in placement matches and then stay there forever due to the the impossibility of falling back down. I could see it being annoying to anyone playing with them... :/
    Ye this is what I'm scared of.

According to the FAQ, you can reach "Gold Tier" if you're lucky and will always be there, but if you're horrible you'll be matched against typical "Bronze Tier" players. I'm pretty sure the elo rating is still present for matchmaking purposes, just hidden from view.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollspwn View Post
    Well heres the thing: You´ll never be demoted but your ELO will go down so far you´ll eventually play with players your skill level. So imagine you still being in diamond and still playing with silver players.
    So, in other words. you get to keep the bragging rights of "I'm pr0!" and still play at an appropriate skill level? Well, works well enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, in other words. you get to keep the bragging rights of "I'm pr0!" and still play at an appropriate skill level? Well, works well enough.
    I was going to say that, but someone brought it up already.

You will have your shiny profile thing or whatever, but you will be playing with the bronze/silvers if you are doing awful.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how that will affect advancement. Maybe it's more like the current system. Say you hit gold, it records your highest ELO and that is what is visible, but you can see you current ELO and know where you are actually placed. Maybe the highest point you reach is permanent and visible, but you can see yourself in the lower tier and how much you need to do to get back up.

Because they are keeping the ELO system, it could really mess with rankings unless you stop losing ELO when your points hit 0 or you don't gain points till your ELO hits a certain threshold.

Deleted
    Yeah except that there is non way too keep track of how you are doing since you can´t see your ELO and you´ll just be at 0 points in the bottom of your league.

I must admit I misundetstood the idea of this 100% at the start. I though it was the same system with a ladder system that looked like Sc2's just added on top. Its a nice idea however it does seem to increase the chance of bad player getting to higher elo. Or at least the bottom of every ladder been far worst then the top of the one before it in average skill level

Sounds interesting, the friends being in your 'league', sounds pretty lets hope it works out that way.

It seems I wasn't the only one sick and tired of the 'Elo' system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StNimrod View Post
    Sounds interesting, the friends being in your 'league', sounds pretty lets hope it works out that way.

It seems I wasn't the only one sick and tired of the 'Elo' system.
    The elo system was originally designed for chess. It was intended for 1v1 use. Riot did makes some changes to it so that it would work better with a 5v5, but it is still a system that was meant for 1v1 application.

I wonder if they are going to refine whatever elo thing they are using now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Isrozzis View Post
    The elo system was originally designed for chess. It was intended for 1v1 use. Riot did makes some changes to it so that it would work better with a 5v5, but it is still a system that was meant for 1v1 application.
    It was not Riot. It's been ages since Elo had been adjusted to team sports and it's used in a multitude of sports such as football or basketball.

tl;dr- sc2 ladder system.

It works fine, it will probably use the current elo system as the "hidden measurement" but with small ladders in between for a fake feeling of accomplishment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    tl;dr- sc2 ladder system.

It works fine, it will probably use the current elo system as the "hidden measurement" but with small ladders in between for a fake feeling of accomplishment.
    Riot has psychologists in their team and have probably tested a multitude of things and have found that, like many other game developers, that fake senses of accomplishment usually make a player want to play more.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Riot has psychologists in their team and have probably tested a multitude of things and have found that, like many other game developers, that fake senses of accomplishment usually make a player want to play more.
    Gotta grind for that diamond man.

I just realized that until masters the sc2 ladder and the LoL ladder are exactly the same.

From the information provided I like these changes. We'll have to see how it unfolds before making any criticisms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edited in a link to the Riot AMA on the first post!

10+ Year Old Account
    its basically a direct copy of starcraft 2's ranking system.

I like it.

Anyone know if it will have a placement round(s)?
    *EDIT* Just read the FAQs and yes it does. But only if you haven't played ranked in preseason. If you have played ranked in preseason it will place you based on your elo.

I have no qualms about it, I am probably only a 1200 player (by elo standards) no big deal but I don't want 20+ losses on my record before I get into a bracket that has people on my skill level.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2013-01-17 at 12:10 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    this is truly awesome and I wish it would've been available when I started to play ranked.

to translate this back into elo: you got about 300 elo to play with at any given time. each division is roughly 60 elo difference. once you gain 300 elo (i.e enter a new tier) you STAY THERE. that is what is truly awesome. once you're 1500 elo you're never gonna drop below that and once you're 1800 you're 1800! this is a huge boon to those of us that like playing LoL in ranked not so much to cap out on elo but rather face fierce competition. reaching the milestones (silver, gold, platinum, diamond and eventually challenger) is going to be the focus of most ranked players and there is a clear progression rather than just increasing your elo hoping it stays where you want it to be.
    This so much. I absolutely love the new system!