Page 1 of 30
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Megathread] Fire Emblem

Since I can't seem to find any threads about this, I thought I would make one.

Anybody really like the Fire Emblem series, and excited for the next one on the 3DS?

I'm pretty excited that it will be the first US FE that has the create a character function.

I think I had two Fire Emblem games. One was for GBA and my friends always hyped it back in like 6th grade. It's a fun game style.

Never bought any recently though lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I think I had two Fire Emblem games. One was for GBA and my friends always hyped it back in like 6th grade. It's a fun game style.

Never bought any recently though lol.
    Yeah there have been 2 for the GBA 1 for gamecube with its sequal on the Wii, and then a remake of the original Fire Emblem on the DS.

got my game preordered. love the new 3ds bundle but sad/happy that its not a 3ds xl or id have to buy a 3rd 3ds xl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fvjr5679 View Post
    got my game preordered. love the new 3ds bundle but sad/happy that its not a 3ds xl or id have to buy a 3rd 3ds xl.
    where were you able to find a bundle, I heard that there was going to be one, but haven't seen it.

google search for fire emblem 3ds, sadly i cant link anything yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fvjr5679 View Post
    google search for fire emblem 3ds, sadly i cant link anything yet.
    Yeah I found it that is amazing, might have to get it since its cheaper than buying them separately, and that is awesome.

Fire Emblem doesn't get nearly as much attention as it deserves.

I've played a lot of different ones, never completed any of them, but I love those kind of strategic games.
    And the battle animations are just satisfying, especially crits.

Also, looking forward to the new one.

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before but I always thought that the gameplay sounded really cool, so I'll probably pick the new one up when it comes out. (: The demo's pretty cool. I just hope that I'll be able to follow the story okay since I've never played one before!

Well I might as well get back to handheld gaming, just pre-ordered my own bundle...

I just really hope it doesn't have the issues I personally had with the DS game, containing shallow characters and poor class design (IMO). I absolutely loved Sacred Stones and hope Awakening meets the expectations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Well I might as well get back to handheld gaming, just pre-ordered my own bundle...

I just really hope it doesn't have the issues I personally had with the DS game, containing shallow characters and poor class design (IMO). I absolutely loved Sacred Stones and hope Awakening meets the expectations.
    Well the reason the one for the DS seemed shallow was because it was a simple remake of the original fire emblem, if anything its design will probably be closer to the more recent FE games, because its all new.

Eh well if I recall correctly you get random stats for each level up right? I remember my friends used to be like "yeah I have to restart the chapter, I didn't get good stats." That sucks for a perfectionist like me. I only like having to worry about recruiting the proper people and passing the level without letting anyone die.

Deleted
    Yes, that's about correct for nearly all of the games in the series. I think Fire Emblem 9 (Path of Radiance) had a Fixed Mode where you'd gain stats at a consistent rate (like a hidden exp bar per stat), rather than randomly, though. Haven't seen it in the other games, though I'll admit I've only played 4 through 10 and Shadow Dragon. :P

ive only played one fire emblem game (the one you got for being a nintendo ambassador and i heard that was supposedly the easiest of them) but i really liked it and the story was good.

i preordered the new one coming out in a few days since it comes with an artbook.

for anyone whos played most of the series are the games really as hard as people make them out to be?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh well if I recall correctly you get random stats for each level up right? I remember my friends used to be like "yeah I have to restart the chapter, I didn't get good stats." That sucks for a perfectionist like me. I only like having to worry about recruiting the proper people and passing the level without letting anyone die.
    They are kind of random, but never so random that I would ever restart a level because of a bad level up.

---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 12:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    They are kind of random, but never so random that I would ever restart a level because of a bad level up.
    Sometimes they can be hard, when you are getting new characters to join the party and you have to be carefully about which characters can get hit.

I mean its kinda hard but that's why I end up playing it safe when it comes to my units.

Deleted
    I'd say that overall, most of the games in the series are fairly easy, assuming you are capable of using sensible tactics, such as blocking chokepoints with a tough character, utilizing the weapon/magic triangles to your advantage and so on. Generally, I've always felt that the difficulty comes from actually getting your entire squad of favourite characters to survive throughout the adventure. I'll admit that the "genuine" difficulty does vary from game to game, though. FE8 (Sacred Stones) was fairly easy due to being able to grind experience in optional battles, while games such as FE10 (Radiant Dawn) had an absolutely brutal early game and FE5 (Thracia 776) had mechanics that more or less worked against you half the time. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raminax View Post
    I'd say that overall, most of the games in the series are fairly easy, assuming you are capable of using sensible tactics, such as blocking chokepoints with a tough character, utilizing the weapon/magic triangles to your advantage and so on. Generally, I've always felt that the difficulty comes from actually getting your entire squad of favourite characters to survive throughout the adventure. I'll admit that the "genuine" difficulty does vary from game to game, though. FE8 (Sacred Stones) was fairly easy due to being able to grind experience in optional battles, while games such as FE10 (Radiant Dawn) had an absolutely brutal early game and FE5 (Thracia 776) had mechanics that more or less worked against you half the time. :P
    Yeah sacred stones was super easy just because you had those levels you could go to and grind up characters, so characters you liked you could make sure were strong.

But the one for the GameCube and Wii I remember some crazy hard levels not specifically but i remember them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sacred Stones also had really overpowered characters. Between Joshua/Ephraim and Amelia you could clear out every map, some solo, however plot wise it was one of the best FE's.

Also in the list, Shadow Dragon did get brought to the EU on DS, and is quite probably the hardest one that's been done in English. Ut was the follow up (which had a Character creator) that didn't make it over here, although a full translation is available at http://www.heroesofshadow.net/ (AT LAST!)

Really looking forward to Kakusei (Awakening) coming out this year, I think as the translations have come over, they've improved with mechanics (with the exception of Shadow Dragon which was pretty true to the original version) Sacred Stones was a little too easy, especially after the challenge that was Sword of Flame. The cross over of PoR/RD's special skills with SS's open world map (as long as they tone down the XP farming) should be fun to play with, disliking the casual mode non permadeath option they've brought back from L&S though, but at least you can choose to not play it.

Oh yeah, and the Demo is already out.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2013-01-19 at 02:29 AM.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

I only played Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, but they were both a lot of fun. I've considered picking up others, but I hate that they are on handhelds only.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Some games have a Fixed Stat Mode, where the stats grow by a fixed value per Level. Unfortunatly you have to beat the game on Random Mode to unlock it. I use ist on my 2nd hardmode runs. But even on random there is hardly a need to restart a level. Every char has a cap on his stats. Mostly you will reach it on most stats even on random. In some games you can use bonus experience in base to level up. This always gives 3 statpoints. You can use this to fill non maxed stats.

My main problem with FE was always, that you spend so much time building a team, and then they force some units for the final chapters upon you. This and that you can hardly use characters which join after half of the game. Most of the time you have one thats much better at the job. And quick characters are op while those wearing heavy armor are terrrible.

In Radiant Dawn my Lancers or Sword Masters could solo any chapter. They just never get hit and always procc their ultimates and other proccs. A common fight with Nephenee goes like this: Enemy Attacks me--> Advantage proccs so I hit first--> Double Proccs so I hit twice --> Since I am already hitting twice for being this fast i hit 4 times --> out of that 4 times 2 times the ultimate proccs which deals 5 strikes.