Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Disc 5.2 Nerf Discussion

THANK GOD, Blizzard actually made SMART changes to disc.. instead of just NERFING abilities, they made SMART changes to change the way we play.

I feel like the changes bring us back to cataclysm where disc was more about PW:S and doing actual RAW healing VS just a single spell doing all of it for you.

I still want to see how they plan on buffing penance.

Long story short: Holy is going to be just as good as disc is, and thats how it should be. RISE HOLY PRIESTS RISE!!!

/joy

The prayer of healing nerf is going to destroy us lol

Long story short: Holy is going to be just as good as disc is, and thats how it should be.
    Disc is going to be just as bad as holy is, and thats how it should't be

Deleted
    You can't play disc at all and luckily for you the spec will be completely destroyed now, gratz:P. Most of us would actually like both specs to be viable though.

Disc has one aoe healing spell, and it isn't even aoe because it's group bound, I completely agree that we are currently overpowered and that spamming Prayer of Healing all day long isn't fun, but now we won't use it at all. We will go back to spamming PW:Shield, which is probably not very viable anyway. I personally like Atonement so I will still get by just fine, but forcing Atonement on people might not be good for all players.

Deleted
    While I agree that a nerf was needed, I'm not sure this nerf is "smart".

First, I don't see how a Disc nerf helps Holy. We will not be forced to choose Disc over Holy (nice to have an actual choice!), but holy will not get better just because of it.

Nerfing Disc Spirit Shell + PoH was expected. Nerfing it to the ground was not. Of course, PTR is a moving target so there's still plenty of room for further changes. I hope Blizz will find a reasonable nerf/buff compromise so that Disc will be kept viable (but not OP).

Quote Originally Posted by Swix View Post
    Disc is going to be just as bad as holy is, and thats how it should't be
    QFT. Disc isn't a single spell doing it all for you, unless you're just terrible. You don't just pop archangel off cooldown, you don't just use holy fire when you feel like it, you don't spam PoH when no raid damage is incoming and only the tank is getting damaged.

What confuses me is, if blizzard seriously thinks disc needs to move away from PoH, why did they buff aegis from 30 to 50%?

Removing Divine Aegis from PoH isn't classified as "just nerfing abilities"?
    After these nerfs, Disc needs something pretty big to help them in AoE situations. PoH won't be efficient at all now.
    Perhaps they should consider nerfing DA to 20-30% instead of removing it from PoH completely, and/or buffing the actual healing of PoH.

i love how when nerfs come people always freak out.

get your butts in ptr and try it out before proclaiming the work is ending.
    plus raid testing is coming an even more perfect time to figure stuff out.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

The changes are substantial, but screaming the sky is falling does no one any good... lets approach this with a bit of logic. As I started to say over at HowToPriest, the auto-DA from POH is substantial, and will have a notable impact on statweights-- most notably increasing the value of Crit, which has good synergy with Atonement healing.

The 50% PWS reduction, is nothing short of a middle-finger to raids which have more than one discipline priest via Weakened Soul. This is, and always will be, my biggest issue with having PWS being such a staple within the Disc toolkit. Essentially what we'll see is replacing Pre DAing with prebubbling. We will have to wait and see until we can test the PTR if the SS calculation also has changed with the removal of DA's inclusion.

10+ Year Old Account
    ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡͌l
    I don't blame them for reacting this way tbh. I have very little confidence in blizzards ability to balance things and don't want to be on the bottom again. Not going to invest too much emotion in this though as I'm sure more changes are on the way. Off to the PTR!!

What worries me from the spell changes is Rapture being brought back down to 100%. I realize they are severely dropping the cost of Power word: Shield, but I don't feel like that justifies losing 150% on Rapture.

Wow.

And that is all i really have to say.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedni View Post
    Removing Divine Aegis from PoH isn't classified as "just nerfing abilities"?
    After these nerfs, Disc needs something pretty big to help them in AoE situations. PoH won't be efficient at all now.
    Perhaps they should consider nerfing DA to 20-30% instead of removing it from PoH completely, and/or buffing the actual healing of PoH.
    pls do correct me if im wrong but DA isnt completely removed from PoH? only procs from crits now?

So ignoring mastery (actual numbers are much worse!):

33% lower PoH SS's
    33% lower effective PoH

And for mana:
    excluding short term buffs, rapture gains are halved (using 200% value, not 250%)
    ex: live gain = spi*2 - pws
    ptr gain = (live gain)/2 = spi - pws/2

I guess we won't need that mana if all we will be doing is smiting!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meaks View Post

I guess we won't need that mana if all we will be doing is smiting!
    so i guess shadowfiend and the new power word solace aint giving mana?

So if 30% auto-DA on PoH and 150% spirit + short term buffs Rapture weren't enough, and 50% auto-DA on PoH and 200% spirit + short term buffs Rapture were too much, then 0% auto-DA on PoH and 100% spirit without short term buffs Rapture is just right!

That's some fine logic there.

Don't really think the Penance and PW:S changes will fix much. At best, the spec will return to the one-per-raid shield spam role it filled in Wrath, except with a shorter PW:S duration and a much crappier Rapture. More likely, it will be even worse than it was at MoP launch.

EDIT - What disc has needed for a long time now is removal of the Vanilla-era targeting restrictions on PoH and PW:S and removal of non-PW:S absorbs, as those things all make it pretty hard to balance. Nerfing it in to the ground without fixing those things is just dumb.
    Last edited by Maleric; 2013-01-17 at 01:10 AM.

Words simply cannot describe my feelings

--SNIP--

Don't post memes
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-01-17 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyLathusDisc View Post
    THANK GOD, Blizzard actually made SMART changes to disc.. instead of just NERFING abilities, they made SMART changes to change the way we play.

I feel like the changes bring us back to cataclysm where disc was more about PW:S and doing actual RAW healing VS just a single spell doing all of it for you.

I still want to see how they plan on buffing penance.

Long story short: Holy is going to be just as good as disc is, and thats how it should be. RISE HOLY PRIESTS RISE!!!

/joy
    Post like this just screamed to make my eyes popped out. Nothing good to say, but OMG they nerfed you so I can shine. Your title also doesn't match what you said. You should change the title to "OMG, they nerfed Disc, LOL, I shine".

Deleted
    Yes. Holy priests will rise. Just above the disc brethren, unfortunately. I join the bandwagon in questioning how 0% DA on PoH can be enough, if 30% wasn't enough when MoP was launched. Sure, 50% was too much. How about numbers between 35-45?

Rapture change is a change indeed and that alone will have to played out before I cast my vote. As the mana allows, at the moment, I do sometimes send quite few PWS's as a panic button. Terribly manainnefficient, but I suppose that's how Blizz wanted it to play out.

If these are to go live (given how often _most_ classes go straight from overpowered to dead last, I fear they do in somewhat similar forms..), I fear that I will indeed have two specs to choose from. That would be okay, but unfortunately both of them will be fighting for the last spot. Unless we have massive damage modifiers for atonement to be supported during T15. But is that more compelling play than actually SS'ing PoHs according to timers?

Here's hoping that the dev team will realize that these hits will make disc awful in raiding scene, and secondly, that while they will increase holy priest population, they will still not score much higher numbers than they currently are. As in, I'd wager them to beat disc, but disc will still have benefit of SS. Pretty equal between the two, just thousands behind the others. And that's what counts. I wouldn't mind playing either of the specs.