Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Legendary means its cost alot of time and other stuff to get it. in vanilla and tbc Legendary where legendary. but wotlk alrdy changed that by alot. and cata its not even funny. every night there was some1 who completed there Legendary stuff. so its was not common then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Because guilds had 10-15 people with legendary weapons... /sigh

Legendaries took a lot of time to acquire, and even so, by the end of the patch cycle, only a very small handful had obtained them.

IMO they should be extremely rare drops from high end raid bosses instead of crafted items anyhow.
    If you were a caster in DS and you applied to any top 50 guild. The first question you got was do you have a legendary. If you answered no There 2nd question was can you play healer MS and dps if we need you cause your not gonna be able to compete with the other 12 legendarys we recruited. BL, vodka, methoid all had like 15-20 legendaries on there roster during DS. Stars bragged about having 27 main's/alts with legendarys during ds progression.

This is complete crap because this assumes the guild could kill Illidan. Very few guilds could kill him. Even fewer guilds could kill Kil'Jaeden. Look at the mass spam of your trade channels for those garbage guilds, because good ones dont spam trade to find players.

I was here in Cata, and I did see several garbage guilds with staffs. It took time, thats all it took. Thats not Legendary, thats called retarded common bs. What makes a weapon legendary is that it is RARE, VERY RARE. When you saw a rogue in AV with the twin blades of azzinoth, people ran from him, and you knew he was bad ass.

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 06:16 AM ----------

You must have forgotten the part where you had to attune yourself to Black temple. Yeah must have. Lets see:

To gain entry to the black temple, you had to:

Kill Kaelthas
    Kill Lady Vashj
    Kill Gruul the Dragonkiller (to gain entry to SSC to kill lady Vashj)
    Kill Nightbane (to gain entry to SSC to kill lady Vashj)
    Kill Magtheradon (to gain entry to the eye to kill Kaelthas)
    Several heroic dungeon quests to gain entry to Karazhan, Mags Lair.

Yeah accomplishing all that, and getting an RNG drop from a boss that practically no one was killing was pretty freaking Legendary.

Fast forward to today:

Herpa Derp, I just walked into the most recent raid tier. I just got the legendary collection items from LFR. I just got a "legendary"

Yeah, i rest my case, In Mop a "Legendary" is not a Legendary.
    and cata was? almost every night there was some1 who completed the Legendary staff on my server. yet you sound this out in MoP?

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically this is boiling down to the classic "Angry hardcore players, mad that the 'filthy casuals' now have access to more content" :/

Grow up, WOW did. They playerbase changed and so did the design philosophy. You aren't forced to play it and if you don't like it, there's plenty of other games or life activities you can do.
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    and cata was? almost every night there was some1 who completed the Legendary staff on my server. yet you sound this out in MoP?
    Agreed.

A legendary is something you EARN.

Not based off of a simplistic weapon dropping.

Not from farming over and over.

Sure, 5.0 had you doing that and 5.2 probably will too, but it wasn't excessive.

And this questline spans an ENTIRE Expansion.

If you want it, you keep doing the Questline, and in the end you're REWARDED for it.

That's what a Legendary should be, and that's what they're doing with Mists.

If you legitimately think having the freaking weapon drop a boss is "Legendary", you need to really look up the definition of Legendary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementalkin View Post
    Actually, upon further investigation it appears I was misinformed on this one. Their appearance (and arguably even their existence) was evidently retconned (for the better I might add), much like several other things in the Burning Crusade.

Also, when I said they weren't 'his', I was referring to Illidan. I was wrong, unless he had two pairs of war glaives, but it's more logical to assume it was just a retcon.
    Well, it's not really a retcon when you just change the appearance a bit. Unless you mean their backstory changed?

Personally I thought the biggest retcon of BC was finding out Illidan was alive at all :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

well lets hope you didn't like the BC style for legendaries...a fucking drop off a boss. now am i totally in favor of this new style? no, but i like that i can do a majority of the grinding necessary for it without a guild. but if they made it so that the final stage or component to the chain REQUIRED at least a 10m reg run then I'm all for that.

Hello *waves*

As a Raider who was there during the Molten Core Days on Her Warrior and getting Sul'furas Hand of Ragnaros, and having my alt in our 2nd 40 man group (what...we were crazy back then) get lucky and get both bindings since it was the tank and getting Thunderfury, I will say this. I prefer the new models for legendaries.

I've gotten every legendary in the game including Atiesh. I got lucky with drops in Black Temple, I got lucky with the drops in Sunwell. I got lucky with Molten Core, I got Lucky with Ulduar. However, I never really felt there was any WORK put into these legendaries, getting them was 100% luck dependent. Legendaries weren't rare cause they were hard to obtain, hell, by the end of AQ 40 we were almost 20 manning Molten Core. I never felt like I was doing WORK to get these, I felt like it was the luck of the dice.

Now, going back to ICC, Shadowmourne, THAT was the first legendary I felt like I had to work for. I remember doing a small little glitch back in the day where i could enter 10 man ICC on my own, and just ICY touch the mobs that endlessly spawned and let the NPCs killed them and in 1 night, I had my 1000 souls in 1 night (Yes, 1000, not this 50 souls pansy crap I found on my Paladin getting my 2nd one) Then during the week, when we had Putricide on farm, and we decided to let me ride the abom, I got my infusion done. Then I did my Infusion on Blood Queen cause I always got bit first, and i dipped infront of the tank (Having to Equip tank trinkets to make myself easier to heal) then going tank for Sindragosa with my ToC gear to get my final infusion done and then getting my 50 lucky shards. However the first parts, felt like real honest work, it felt like I EARNED this overpowered weapon. I felt like I deserved it. It felt like a Legendary chain to me.

Then came the Staff in Firelands, and the Daggers for Dragon Soul. I felt like I earned these rewards and I felt legendary for doing so, I was a badass. I did all this work.

The Legendaries in 5.0 and onward, dont feel any less legendary than the ones before it cause you STILL Do work. Granted its a different kind, you put up with the retardation in LFR or you get the lucky drops in normal. You then grind out 6000 Valor points and win 2 battle grounds and kill a raid boss in Karasang. You still do work, you still get the reward. I hope the Meta gem still keeps this tradition, and I hope its not too expensive as it will probably be the best meta gem in the game for DPS (Healers possibly, Tanks im doubtful for the lack of a Stam Legendary gem)

Do the legendaries feel any less legendary to me? No because you dont see them....and thats what Legendaries were before, unseen since they were so rare. When we get to the weapons, I might change my tune depending on the ease, but I still enjoy these quests and such.

Quote Originally Posted by postpunk27 View Post
    Looks like another special snowflake has melted.
    Looks like another person using the old "spexial snowflake" tag had his peen deflated somewhere along the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well, it's not really a retcon when you just change the appearance a bit. Unless you mean their backstory changed?
    Well as far as I know there was no mention of where Illidan got his war glaives priror to the Burning Crusade. Unless the argument is that they didn't glow green yet because Illidan hadn't yet consumed enough demonic power, then it is something of a retcon since he's apparently had them for over 10,000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    So basically this is boiling down to the classic "Angry hardcore players, mad that the 'filthy casuals' now have access to more content" :/

Grow up, WOW did. They playerbase changed and so did the design philosophy. You aren't forced to play it and if you don't like it, there's plenty of other games or life activities you can do.
    The problem is that BLIZZARD changed the playerbase to what it is now. If they didn't set a precedence for casual play coming into WotLK we would probably be seeing slower progress which means less people would get bored which means Cata heroics being hard would have gotten more players etc. etc. etc.

Blizzard continously seems to be flip flopping on major design philosophies that are the foundations of how players play and the types of players that are attracted. People keep talking about "OMG MORE BITCHING THEN EVER"; people need to realize it's not just because "WOW COMMUNITY SUCKS", it's because Blizzard has been attempting to cater to players in such a way so as to maximize profits instead of maximizing trust. The current norm for this game is short term players, not long term like it used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    From the perspective of someone that has been in this game since launch, raiding since the first raids were added, etc. etc. Just gonna toss in my 2 cents;

Legendaries based entirely on an RNG loot drop, are not legendaries, they are luck. You never went to a current raid that had a legendary drop expecting to see it *ever*, you went to get the bosses down and get the standard loot. If a legendary item dropped it was a jaw-dropping experience.
    Legendaries that are the result of a focused effort on your part have more meaning. I.E. you ground that rep and you collected those items.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    The Legendary quests, with associated plot advancement, have been a great experience so far in MoP. Working fine.

My thought bubble: I think it is a bit sad when people talk about themselves in the third person.
    You should have said: "My thought bubble: Scathbais thinks it is a bit sad when people talk about themselves in the third person." It would've made your post 100x funnier.

On topic: The legendary aspect of the new "legendary" is the continuous grind over patches, requiring players to touch many aspects of the game to complete the chain quest. It is still a grind, but a more pleasant grind.
    Up until 5.2, people were "forced" to: run 3 different raids for 2 different kinds of sigils, farm until Honored reputation, a six week valor grind, farm until revered reputation, make PvP content (even if it was the shortest challenge for most of the people) and make a group/small raid for a horde "boss". Who knows what's next? It's an awesome chain quest so far.
    Blizzard is, sort of, saved from coming up with new ideas for a legendary (to avoid having 2 legendary items in the same expansion) and every class is able to get the rewards.
    Seems pretty epic (pun intended) to me.

This is complete crap because this assumes the guild could kill Illidan. Very few guilds could kill him. Even fewer guilds could kill Kil'Jaeden. Look at the mass spam of your trade channels for those garbage guilds, because good ones dont spam trade to find players.

I was here in Cata, and I did see several garbage guilds with staffs. It took time, thats all it took. Thats not Legendary, thats called retarded common bs. What makes a weapon legendary is that it is RARE, VERY RARE. When you saw a rogue in AV with the twin blades of azzinoth, people ran from him, and you knew he was bad ass.
    A pve hero is not badass especially not in tbc. I was playing in the 2450+ brackets and hardly ever ran into a rogue with warglaives and when i did it wasn't scary at all. I guess im just a legendary badass.

Lets look at what a legend is. A story, person or item of myth and fasination often surrounded by a rich history of said item. Well thats exactly what legendaries in wow are.

Thunderfury, not a lot was known about this weapon except that is was wielding by a windlord, was broken into 2 bindings and lost in time until we the adventurers stumbled across them and put them together only uses myths and small hints of what it is and what was required to make it whole.

Sulfuras, not so much legendary in the sense of the definition though still a story for the children around the campfire. It was a mighty weapon that was made in the image of ragnaros' hammer. We never actually obtained his mighty weapon but made a replica with similiar aspects

Atiesh, was a a powerful weapon the guardians of tristfal passed down. However when the medan was assassinate, the kirin tor put into safe keeping till the next guardian was ready, however this safe spot had a failsafe that shattered the staff into 42 pieces (Brann bronzebeard lost the base to cthun, kelthuzad held the end piece and gave 40 spliters to his liuetients for safe keeping) once all of them were gathered medivh reforged the staff simply by holding it.

Warglaives, they were owned by a doomguard commander whom illidan slayed and took them. He learned to weild them independant of each other and together. This weapons are legendary in the sense that they are literally burning legion weapons forged for a higher up with emense power.

Thoridal, no lore surrounds this item at all it was more of a just here you go type thing. However it was in kiljdaens position so to say the least it can be told in storys as an item recovered from KJ (though many other items were too)

Valanyr, is a titans creation give to the first earthen king. with it he was able to create life and give life to his breathen. This item is legendary in the sense that omg titan's the creators and such. Lots of lore

Shadowmourne, a throwback of frostmourne but a cool weapon no the less, as the lich kings army fell this weapon used LK's fallen to empower itself even more and more. This is legendary not because of the item itself but the use it and why it was made. Only a stalwart defender of azeroth could wield such a weapon.

Dragonwrath, a dragons spirit infused into an awesome weapon that you literally help forge. You not only get this immense weapon but you also insure the blue dragons flights survival by have kalecgos become the new aspect (the other guy was all about siding with DW) Not only after you slay the firelord and everything is settled in hyjal the dragon in the staff wishes to accompany you and bond with you. Together becoming one powerful caster. Having done this quest more recently i can say this was extremely legendary quest line even though towards the end every one and their GM's GF had one.

Daggers, this questline i didnt get to see, however via youtube video's its feel was amazing you were so involved in helping wrathion essentially purge the rest of the black dragonflight. Wrathion has you sneaking around like an assassin (...rogue) commiting genocide on his brothers and sisters and even father because they are all corrupted. You even use part of deathwing to forge the final product. How epic is that? (Not really epic but legendary rather =P).

Enter MoP, wrathion is back again and wants to help (Atleast we think /tinfoil) he forsees a bleak future for azeroth if we dont end this war soon. He plays favorites on both sides and is willing to help anyone eager to assist his cause, I can only half as this as i havent gotten that far into the quest line. But he is giving us tools of war, to end war and become prepared for the war to come. Who know's what the final reward is for helping him and better yet what exactly is he doing with all those things we keep bringing him? Guess we will find out eventually.

So moral of the story (this made me chuckle) is the story is the legend we are forming. It doesn't matter if 1 person in the world gets it or everyone doing the quest line and being involved in history essentially is what a legend is or rather what it will become. The legendary color to item is simply saying yes this is a powerful item (in its time) and has a lot of history involved. We the adventurers are the legend's creating legends to be told way later on.

This is the dawn of the mortals or whatever alexstraza was saying at the end of ds was very head on. We are no longer chasing legends. We are making them.

This is why legendary shouldnt equal extreme hard to get. It is a long grind to show the story and you the character get involved in it. The way blizzard is doing this round of legendaries is rather brilliant. We all get to see the story unfold if we choose to.
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Jaylock, by the way..

A friend of mine on here and I were wondeirng..

Why won't you link us to your armory?

The you speak is as if you're in one of the few guilds that have cleared most of the Heroic Content for Mists.

Mind sharing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Jaylock, by the way..

The you speak is as if you're in one of the few guilds that have cleared most of the Heroic Content for Mists.

Mind sharing?
    Check page 15

I applaud Blizz for the current Legendary quest line, having to work yourself to earn something. Who cares how many people get it, it's a journey anyone can undertake if their willing to put the time in for it, and doesn't rely on random drops, and at the same time the effort level is high enough to discourage alts from venturing along the path, and they seem to be focussing the rewards for pve only and disconnecting them from pvp.

All in all is far better done than having to be a raid to randomly get a change of some drop, or having to balance raids around one guild having 20 and one having none.

Deleted
    Oh look, more whining threads about "OMG SOMEONE IS GETTING SOMETHING I DON'T WANT THEM TO GET BECAUSE I AM OBVIOUSLY BETTER"

Shut up and get down from your high horse.

15+ Year Old Account
    Back in the days (vanilla/tbc) you had real Legendarys, now they are just orange items u have to do a little more effort for then Epics.

The only Legendary about those we have now is that the Orange color is called Legendary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Jaylock, by the way..

Mind sharing?
    Here is it, in all its glory:
    (you better strap yourself in for this one....)
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Jaylock/simple
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.