Poll: Should parenting require a license or parenting courses?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It seems like a good idea, the trouble is in enforcement. Are you going to abort their children if they don't meet up to your standards? Take the child away on birth? Most of these options seem incredibly cruel to the parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

It sounds good to me, but more than that, I think the parents should have to prove beforehand that they are financially capable of supporting the child themselves without government aid. Government aid for parents with children could still be used on people who were well off at first and ran into problems later, but it should not be a literal free meal ticket. Forced abortions may be immoral, but it would cut out a lot of crap society has to deal with.

Deleted
    No..

The only reason is that there is no need for a police state. Not everything needs to be controlled. You need a license to drive because driving goes by very strict rules and if you don't follow them to the letter, you pose a serious risk to others. In parenting there are only obvious common sense things that don't need courses or licenses. A proper parent knows them already as it's common sense. Otherwise, there is no right way to be a parent and the only wrong things to do is abusing or neglecting the child which doesnt need to be taught..

No, who's to say what the standards are? People parent in different ways, I find spanking good, others don't. If you're interested in kids, you'll figure it out. If you aren't, then you'll always be bad at it.

I said no to either (parent of 3), but I do believe that their needs to be better regulations in place to be able to remove children from bad homes. Also, stiffer penalties for any type of neglect or abuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kinda up for the license... It's sad how kids can have kids these days.

This is a terrible fucking idea. Who the fuck is going to pay for this? Who the fuck knows how to raise my kids? What the fuck is wrong with all of you?

You want better children the answer is easy. The solution is hard to implement though. Smarter people tend to have less kids and do so later in life. If we want better children all we need to do is fix the education systems we already have. Reducing poverty will go a long long way. This is the most ridiculous leftist post I have ever read on here.

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 11:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    It sounds good to me, but more than that, I think the parents should have to prove beforehand that they are financially capable of supporting the child themselves without government aid. Government aid for parents with children could still be used on people who were well off at first and ran into problems later, but it should not be a literal free meal ticket. Forced abortions may be immoral, but it would cut out a lot of crap society has to deal with.
    Yeah lets tell who can and can't reproduce. Sounds great until someone tells you "no"

Quote Originally Posted by Psilar View Post
    This is a terrible fucking idea. Who the fuck is going to pay for this? Who the fuck knows how to raise my kids? What the fuck is wrong with all of you?
    Would be cheaper than supporting kids and their parents until they are 18 then having a good chance of having to support them again when they are in the criminal justice system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    This I can agree with as well. If they can add it to the schooling alot more then what it is now I'm all for it.

I do not welcome a system where the government can say weather or not you can be a parent.

Just add more to it in schools hell even make it where you need a A+ in that class or you fail it and have to take it all over. Also make it where it is not a choice to take that class in school cause in some states you can get out of it if your parents sign off on it.
    Irony is not it. You people are asking schools to do what parents like you should do. Its a requirement for a being a parent. Do not push these responsibilities to schools. Schools are not parent.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    This likely depends on the government in question but some examples could be:

1. denying your child citizenship rights until parenting courses are fulfilled/license obtained
    2. severe fines
    3. jail time

As for question 2, there are many many potential parents out there who want children but cannot have them. You screw up, you lose your right to parent, someone else ends up taking care of your children (most countries pretty much have this already).

Also (my personal opinion) licensure doesn't need to be this super strict thing, where you have to jump through a bunch of loopholes. More like, take some classes, learn how to change/feed a baby, etc. maybe include some lifestyle management training, such as time management, how to deal with the stresses of parenthood in healthy ways, basic financial planning.

One potential problem is that issues like this may arise: http://www.kgw.com/news/New-Portland...134720613.html

(But really I don't understand how a woman can be pregnant and not know it, but that's just me.)
    Yup lets fine bad parents. Make there job harder.... Lets throw them in jail too. Dumb and poor motherfuckers have children. You fix poverty and education and alot of these problems will go away by themselves.

This is another pointless treat the symptoms and not the disease...can't you all see this? This is the gun control in America debate...

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 11:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Would be cheaper than supporting kids and their parents until they are 18 then having a good chance of having to support them again when they are in the criminal justice system.
    Pure conjecture. Furthermore, an uneducated mother who can't afford to work and raise a kid passes this parenting course... She doesn't have the money or the know-how to raise a kid. The problem isn't solved.

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 11:44 PM ----------

Fines and jail time are standard for operating a vehicle without a license.

I don't think people would make it to be as big of a deal as some people in this thread would make it out to be, people aren't staging protests in the street because they need a license to drive.

But that's why I made this thread, I figured the answers here would be interesting so I appreciate everyone's feedback.
    You apparently don't know how licenses work. You have to have a license to drive a vehicle because you're on public roads. You can't be fined for rip roaring it up on private roads with no license in a vehicle you own. Women can get pregnant its their body and no one can tell them not to do it if they want to. You don't need a license to use something you already own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah for sure, lets let the government to tell who can and cannot have children, that will work so perfectly well *sarcasm*.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?
    If you think yes is the answer, you're so completely wrong and need help, seriously. Its natural for people to have children, we don't need permission. Just because someone might suck at being a parent, doesn't necessarily mean the child will be as fucked as the parents.

You people disgust me.

Yup lets fine bad parents. Make there job harder.... Lets throw them in jail too. Dumb and poor motherfuckers have children. You fix poverty and education and alot of these problems will go away by themselves.
    We already do throw bad parents in jail. You should read up on child abuse statistics if you really think that the only bad parents out there are the poor uneducated ones.

Yeah for sure, lets let the government to tell who can and cannot have children, that will work so perfectly well *sarcasm*.
    Is the right to reproduce an inherent one? Parenting is a huge job. It is extremely taxing both time wise as well as psychologically and financially, with repercussions that can last a child's entire lifetime and has a long lasting effect on taxpayers, no matter the degree of "bad". I find it fascinating that many people in this thread seem to have no issues with applying for a license to drive and have no issues with people losing said license for being a bad driver, but become so irate at the thought of that same logic being applied to parenthood.

Just because someone might suck at being a parent, doesn't necessarily mean the child will be as fucked as the parents.
    Uninformed response at best, also there are hidden costs to screwing up parenthood that cost us billions of dollars a year as well as do a healthy amount of psychological damage to children but is not extreme enough to be considered abuse.

How this poll isn't 100% no to both is pretty perplexing.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ire-a-license/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...icensed-parent

As the title says, should parenting require a license or parenting courses?

1. Parenting is one of the most important roles a human being can fill in their lives. A parent's behavior has a direct impact on not only a child's immediate physical and psychological well being, but also that child's ability to one day become a healthy, functioning adult member of society.

2. Bad parenting is very expensive to taxpayers. Neglected and abused children often end up as wards of the court, costing taxpayers millions of dollars each year due to the state being responsible for providing food and shelter for children who end up in the system. Children who develop psychological disorders become less productive members of society as adults as well--abused children are less likely to continue on to college and graduate school, make less income, and are less productive at work in comparison to their peers. The fiscal cost of lost productivity from American workers due to depression and depressive-related disorders alone is estimated to be in excess of $31 billion per year.

3. Bad parenting is arguably more dangerous than drinking, flying a plane or driving a car, yet all three have an age requirement and 2 out of 3 require licensure. Why not parenting?

4. Regulation of who can or cannot parent would potentially be extremely difficult to do and can be very expensive, and may be seen by some as invading upon our basic human rights.
    Lololololol fuck that. That would be the biggest and final move for any sense of freedom. “Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Deleted
    In todays society I think parents need to get learn to allow their kids to be kids again...if I just look at my own childhood school I can see that a lot of parents are not putting up with playtime where the kid can fool around and get dirty. It pushes kids into a position where they can't develop and where the only option is to be online and get the entertainment there.

In no way do I think the license for printing or a forced course is good for anyone, but promoting said courses and communicating between government and/or schools and parenting would help a lot. Give the option to follow a course for parenting, don't force it on the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    Lololololol fuck that. That would be the biggest and final move for any sense of freedom. “Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    This is a little extreme; we're not talking about mass sterilization here.

In no way do I think the license for printing or a forced course is good for anyone, but promoting said courses and communicating between government and/or schools and parenting would help a lot. Give the option to follow a course for parenting, don't force it on the parents.
    Would the people who really NEED to take parenting classes really do so if they didn't "have" to? I suppose governments could take a softer approach, offering tax breaks for people who took the necessary classes (offered free of charge of course).

i can see both sides of the argument here, in a way it's good because you will have less idiots neglecting their offspring or doing some other idiotic things like some others have mentioned. and yet if it were government decided then you know that a massive civil war will emerge or something of the likes, it's probably the way that you wrote it in some of your replies, but you were comparing a baby/child to none living objects you require a licence for, hell i have a child that's at 2 years old now and prior to that i had NO knowledge of what to do, i went with my instincts and my little girl is 1 happy child that knows right from wrong and is well behaved (well... for a 2 year old that is )

This may sound interesting but what if many have failed from this course? Does it mean they couldnt take care of their children? There should be further consideration for this.

Yes it should be because there are way too many screwed up people all thanks to bad parenting. It's impossible to enforce though, so I guess the point is moot.

Frankly, there shouldn't be kids without proper parents. A forced temporary sterilization of everyone until they can 1) Pass some sort of test to prove they'd be fit parents and 2) can actually provide financially, emotionally, etc. for them would be the best bet.

Again though, impossible to enforce, let alone do in the first place. If only we believed in the betterment of the group, not individual rights. And before you get into a fit over that comment, I'm well aware of how it sounds. I'd much rather live in a world where I don't have 100% freedom then in one where I have 100%, but am forced to basically care for a fair sized portion of individuals who can't / don't care to take care of themselves.
    Last edited by Thetruth1400; 2013-01-18 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    i can see both sides of the argument here, in a way it's good because you will have less idiots neglecting their offspring or doing some other idiotic things like some others have mentioned. and yet if it were government decided then you know that a massive civil war will emerge or something of the likes, it's probably the way that you wrote it in some of your replies, but you were comparing a baby/child to none living objects you require a licence for, hell i have a child that's at 2 years old now and prior to that i had NO knowledge of what to do, i went with my instincts and my little girl is 1 happy child that knows right from wrong and is well behaved (well... for a 2 year old that is )
    Oh I think everyone has brought up valid points. I totally understand the WTF GET GOVERNMENT OUT OF MY PRIVATE LIFE mentality, the concern over our civil rights.

That being said I have also done a lot of work with abused children and parents, I have seen many children who were not "abused" to the point of DCFS intervention but were not necessarily being treated as well as perhaps they should have been. That is hard. It's not as hard as dealing with the kids who end up in the system and just end up jumping from bad situation to bad situation, but it does not sit well with me either.

Some bad parenting comes from ignorance, some from socialization, some from indifference. It takes many forms.

Parenting is a skill that improves over time, it is unrealistic to expect new parents to be perfect at it right out of the gate and I would never suggest otherwise.