Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    About the heroic only boss in Palace of the Spider Queen, judging its subzone name and the trash mob I'm almost certain that it's the dreaded "bad guy" you pointed out in this story. So is he the mastermind behind the Newbreed, and the one whom Nezar'Kali claims to serve (according to her quotes)?
    Speaking of which, is Neraz'Kali Newbreed too or part of the previous generation?

10+ Year Old Account
    inb4 blizzard steals all of your ideas. Pretty darn cool nonetheless.

If this expansion had came out after me leaving cataclysm, it would have probably brought me and my money back to the game.

We would have seen enough of the spiders in LK to be enticed for more. Expanding on what we knew and saw from LK. Some familiarity in old content to drive new content but expanding on it in a big way. Expansion gold.

MOP - Vague information few knew about unless you played an old WC strat game and you could still play it and miss the connection.
    If you were not a book reader of WC and played the game only, you would have little to no clue about anything in MOP. Very skippable expansion with little to no information to from the game to build on.

A Spider expansion in an underground kingdom with some similar themes from LK. (of course all of it expanded on as well).

Hell, I'm almost sold now thinking about it vs what I actually played of MOP.
    Last edited by quras; 2013-01-15 at 12:25 AM.

Massive amount of work, amazing stuff.

Have you considered linking this stuff on the official forums? Blizzard might take an interest!

10+ Year Old Account
    Great artwork! I don't know if the "spider" theme would be enough for an entire expansion though Would make an interesting content patch though.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    If this expansion had came out after me leaving cataclysm, it would have probably brought me and my money back to the game.

We would have seen enough of the spiders in LK to be enticed for more. Expanding on what we knew and saw from LK. Some familiarity in old content to drive new content but expanding on it in a big way. Expansion gold.

MOP - Vague information few knew about unless you played an old WC strat game and you could still play it and miss the connection.
    If you were not a book reader of WC and played the game only, you would have little to no clue about anything in MOP. Very skippable expansion with little to no information to from the game to build on.

A Spider expansion in an underground kingdom with some similar themes from LK. (of course all of it expanded on as well).

Hell, I'm almost sold now thinking about it vs what I actually played of MOP.
    Something tells me if the OP was designing MoP and Blizzard designed this Spider themed exp that your views would be 100% reversed. The storylines in MoP are rich and full of depth, on par with what we saw with WotLK. Of course you won't see it unless you actually play it and do more than just click through quests like a madman. And using the argument "well, this whole Mists thing wasn't in the original lore!" What do you do when your primary lore has all been covered? You make more. You continue the storyline. Like any other franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Have some bug people:

Croojer

The 'Murloc/Gorloc/Virmin' of the Spider Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraspotatius View Post
    About the heroic only boss in Palace of the Spider Queen, judging its subzone name and the trash mob I'm almost certain that it's the dreaded "bad guy" you pointed out in this story. So is he the mastermind behind the Newbreed, and the one whom Nezar'Kali claims to serve (according to her quotes)?
    He is indeed. That's why the Newbreed are so different from the previous generations. They're only half-nerubian.

As for Nezar'Kali, she is not one of the Newbreed. In-game right now, if you go through the Ahn'Kahet dungeon and beat the last boss, a bunch of living nerubians come in and start tending to the clutch of nerubian eggs hidden there, including one especially big one. According to my story, that's Nezar'Kali, and those eggs are the last of the non-Newbreed nerubians, the previous generation.

The first Newbreed didn't appear until after Nezar'Kali hatched and reached maturity (which was rapidly, thanks to the nerubian viziers tending her egg - they needed a new queen quickly).

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    inb4 blizzard steals all of your ideas. Pretty darn cool nonetheless.
    They are welcome to it. How amazing would that be? It's their world, I'm just playin' in it.

Hell, I'm almost sold now thinking about it vs what I actually played for MOP.
    Like I always say, if nothing else MoP has proved that you can take any element of lore and develop enough to be expansion-worthy. No one can say a Spider Kingdom expansion is too limited after Pandaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Kornath View Post
    Have you considered linking this stuff on the official forums? Blizzard might take an interest!
    I had a couple threads going, but they garnered little attention. You can't link images on the official forums, so it's not quite as eye-catching posting there. It was a while ago, so perhaps when this concept is largely complete it'll make a bit more of a splash.

Quote Originally Posted by Conjor View Post
    Great artwork! I don't know if the "spider" theme would be enough for an entire expansion though Would make an interesting content patch though.
    Well, the theme is really 'underground' more so than 'spider' - 'Spider Kingdom' refers to the most powerful underground empire (currently known, that is *cough*).

But if you replace 'spider' with 'panda' I would have had the same thought before Mists came out. You might be able to tell this from my earlier comments, but I loooove that I can point to Pandaria now.

And using the argument "well, this whole Mists thing wasn't in the original lore!" What do you do when your primary lore has all been covered? You make more. You continue the storyline. Like any other franchise.
    I think there's a certain amount of (understandable) frustration when previously established concepts are put on hold in favor of new stuff, especially if one had a particular interest in one thing or another. Obviously, fans that were hoping existing ideas would be addressed won't be as happy to see them put on the back burner while brand new concepts are introduced, even if the new stuff winds up being great. I love Mists so far, but if they had offered me a choice between Mists and, say, an Emerald Dream expansion that had the same quality of work put into it as Mists has gotten so far, I'd have picked the Emerald Dream one.

Mmn, read through the Archeology bits. Amazing stuff as always, though I'm not a fan of the trolls getting help from the dragons. Still you do a great job with all this.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Conjor View Post
    SNIP...

Something tells me if the OP was designing MoP and Blizzard designed this Spider themed exp that your views would be 100% reversed. The storylines in MoP are rich and full of depth, on par with what we saw with WotLK.
    Well, whatever "something" told you that. It would be wrong. BUT...

Thats the great thing about stories. Not everyone likes the same thing. It's not a hard concept to get. MOP was some poorly written junk (and I'll put this in cause I'm sure someone will jump on it ----> IMHO)

Of course you won't see it unless you actually play it and do more than just click through quests like a madman.
    Again, been there, read them. Very easy to skip as far as stories go. However, I...

Played, Vanilla, TBC, WoTLK - liked them.
    Played Cataclysm - Not so good and a good reason to keep my money.
    Played MOP - Not good enough to pay for.

It's not a hard concept to understand. I do not like the current story. It had little mentioning in game but unlike the spiders which were all over some expansions and in various forms. People had some connection to them throughout the game. MOP - out of left field from some vague reading. Showed in a different game many didn't see (even though many did) and even if you played it could easily miss. So many other avenues lore stories could have taken that would have had a better impact. They could have dropped back to Serpent shrine cavern and what all was going on there and it would have grabbed more peoples attention on lore than MOP. (again IMHO)

And using the argument "well, this whole Mists thing wasn't in the original lore!" What do you do when your primary lore has all been covered? You make more. You continue the storyline. Like any other franchise.
    And using the argument, "Oh they will just make more lore." doesn't mean it will be worth a damn. Which I don't think it currently is. I at least think the spider kingdom held more merit than MOP did and currently does.

But all this is for a different thread. The work the OP is doing is much more impressive in my eyes than what I have seen come from WOW's developers in the last 2 expansion and for me, it actually got my attention as something I would like to see vs what I have seen.

and thats saying something given the OP is just having fun with it

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    SNIP....

Like I always say, if nothing else MoP has proved that you can take any element of lore and develop enough to be expansion-worthy. No one can say a Spider Kingdom expansion is too limited after Pandaria.

SNIP...
    You got that right. I know I had more of a connection to the spider stories than anything in MOP. I felt I had more connection to the kobolds and what was so damn important about those candles than I did anything in MOP.

Maybe I should work on a kobold expansion. If you can take something as obscure as MOP is and turn it into an expansion and then see what you have done with the spiders (which we knew more about in game) then kobolds should be interesting.
    Last edited by quras; 2013-01-18 at 08:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might just like these guys even more than spider people...

Duggum

Worker

Mole-like humanoids who have survived the underworld of Northrend for centuries. They were born from the shed blood of a mighty mole ancient who fought against the Burning Legion 10,000 years ago. The ancient slew many demons before it was finally slain in turn, and its blood flowed into the caverns and tunnels of the land that would become Northrend. There it gave rise to the duggum, who formed a close-knit society of many clan-families that has survived since the time of the Sundering. Small and clever, they avoided conflict with all the other races that shelter in the underworld.

Stone Tender

The duggum are cautious to approach other races, but those who earn their trust can learn a great deal about Azeroth's underworld, and will find in them a people prepared to stand against the dark threats that rise from further below. The duggum have a vast knowledge of farming and gathering in subterranean environments, and their sages and spell-casters know a great deal of lore about the tending of life in the deep earth.

Rock Breaker

The duggum are nearly sightless, and sense their enviornment through smell, sound, and detecting the vibrations of the world around them. They dwell mainly in deep darkness, as the light of day is harmful to them, and any illuminattion brighter than the faintest glow of shimmer moss or glowstone is uncomfortable. Becuase of this trait, they have had some difficulty in communicating their ideals to those who follow the Holy Light of Creation. While the duggum honor its power, their name for it is different - they call it the Guardian Dark. The duggum believe that light blinds, while in the darkness, eyes open wider. The darkness they call upon with their spell-casting is nothing like the spells of shadow and negative energy that warlocks and shadow-priests use - rather, it is a dark radiance that brings comfort and healing, not unlike the soothing balm of sleep. This phenomenon has perplexed the priests and paladins who have come to study under this curious people.
    Because I decided that I needed more friendly people.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Mmn, read through the Archeology bits. Amazing stuff as always, though I'm not a fan of the trolls getting help from the dragons. Still you do a great job with all this.
    I understand. I have no wish to detract from the power and majesty of the ancient trolls! The trolls were at the height of their strength back then, with vast numbers of warriors and spell-casters, loa spirits and trained war-beasts - the forces on Thunder King Island in patch 5.2 can give you an idea of what the ancient trolls were capable of bringing to bear. In fact, the success of the troll forces is what prompted the ruler of the aqir to begin a desperate plan to turn the tide - the nature of this plot is largely what brought them into conflict with the dragonflights in the first place.

The blue, black, and green dragonflights did not give public or widespread support to the trolls, and the red and bronze flights refrained altogether. The dragons waited until the aqir legions were engaged on numerous widespread battlefields against the trolls. They took advantage of Azj'Aqir being depleted of most of its forces and struck at the aqir central hive-city, Azj'Naggai. It was an attack meant to halt a threat to all of Azeroth, one as great as the Hour of Twilight, and the dragons succeeded. It was possibly the first recorded instance in Azeroth of a small group of determined and capable beings (who just so happened to be dragons) penetrating an enemy stronghold to eliminate a powerful, monstrous threat.

With their emperor's scheme foiled, there came no relief to the aqir armies, and they fell to the might of the trolls. The destruction of Azj'Aqir might not have been as complete if the aqir emperor had not invited the fury of the dragonflights, but even if he hadn't, the loss of the aqir was inevitable.

Thanks for the post!

Maybe I should work on a kobold expansion. If you can take something as obscure as MOP is and turn it into an expansion and then see what you have done with the spiders (which we knew more about in game) then kobolds should be interesting.
    Well, I always did wonder where they got all those candles...

10+ Year Old Account
    I would so 'dig' mole men in WoW (see what I did there)

Blizzard need to hire you, or at least get you to work with them for these ideas,

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god, updates. <3

I just finished reading the newest 5 man dungeons, awesome as always (even though I still think some of those 5 man bosses are simply too complex for a 5 man enviroment - even though, none of the newer bosses is as complex as your first ones in Naxxramas and Riplash... xD).

I am now going to read through your raid content and I am going to expect greatness beyond from those battles! :A

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I would so 'dig' mole men in WoW (see what I did there)
    Ha hah hah hah... ha... I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    Oh god, updates. <3

I just finished reading the newest 5 man dungeons, awesome as always (even though I still think some of those 5 man bosses are simply too complex for a 5 man enviroment - even though, none of the newer bosses is as complex as your first ones in Naxxramas and Riplash... xD).

I am now going to read through your raid content and I am going to expect greatness beyond from those battles! :A
    Cool, I'm glad they're getting read. I never know what's really going to work as a boss mechanic, but I figure better too much than not enough. I'm probably not going to do anymore and just focus on creature art and dungeon journal entries, since it takes so long to think up mechanic ideas.

Why don't you work for blizz? You're awesome.
    Twas brillig

idk but u guys are amazing, i dont think we carry same brains with guys like u

This

Is

Incredible!

EDIT: I know I am asking too much... But could you keep the first post updated? =3

I have seem lots of cool stuff tossed randomly around the entire post and it is hard to keep track...
    Last edited by Madruga; 2013-01-27 at 11:24 PM.

I was wondering about the Azhuul'Mehab one of the last queen of the nerubians. She is only 48 years old when she met Brann Bronzebeard.

I think it would be great to create a civil war between Nerubians and the Newbreeds. Nerubians are force due to the dark magic to find new ally with horde and the alliance.

Azhuul'Mehab would be the leader of Sundered Monolith. Once you get to revered with her people, you are granted an audience with the queen of the Nerubians. She tell the story about the Newbreeds and her sister.

This way it create a different story than copying Mantid's situation.
    Last edited by Auroro; 2013-01-30 at 12:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always wanted to go into the Ancient Kingdom that Anub mentioned in Frozen Throne. and Wrath of the Lich King.
    For the Horde!

Like I've said in response to seeing your signature one night -- definitely admire the hard work and creativeness behind this. The reanimated bear skeleton boss has to be my favorite idea, both in looks and execution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Cool, I'm glad they're getting read. I never know what's really going to work as a boss mechanic, but I figure better too much than not enough. I'm probably not going to do anymore and just focus on creature art and dungeon journal entries, since it takes so long to think up mechanic ideas.
    Yeah, well, if all of your bosses have nearly 10 skills (heck, the lowest skills I counted on a boss fight were 4 on a 5 man boss) not wonder it takes so much time.

But yeah, you finished pretty much all of the "release" content in terms of dungeons and raids. I can understand that you want to take a break.

And again I suggest to send this stuff somehow to Blizzard, even if it s only for your artworks or zone maps. They do look really great and could be right from the game, imo.

Deleted
    The one problem I kind of have with this is that alot of the stuff in Nerubian Archaeology and references in older games points out they no longer worship the old ones, in fact, the very opposite, they hate them.

Besides. Old God stuff is overdone. it would be much cooler if the Newbreed were in turn trying to enslave an old one like the Mogu did a titanic watcher.