Poll: Should NASA have a higher budget?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anabolicz View Post
    Every country in the world shud be obligated to give NASA 50billions a year for increased research
    No, rather, countries should have organizations like NASA themselves and fund them instead. Why would we throw our money to the US? All the research they'd do would end up in the US's pockets and they'd become an even greater superpower. We definitely don't need that knowing how the US is like.

I voted yes, because who wouldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Yes, NASA is working towards the future. A Star Trek type world. Rates much higher on the priority list then other sources of Government Funding.
    kinda strange you would say that....

http://gizmodo.com/5942634/nasa-star...rek-warp-drive

Yes, absolutely, current budget is 4/10th of a penny on each tax dollar, seems a bit lackluster. Haven't read all 10 pages but I'll suppose someone has already linked the video of Neil deGrasse Tyson making the case for it in front of the Senate Science Comittee. If they haven't

The US, and even the world, really need space exploration, we need inspiration, dreams for kids to become scientists, revalorize intelligence. Not demonize and ridicule it, like has unfortunately been the accelerating trend in the US for the past decades.

Bonus videos, reaaaaaaaaaaaaally worth watching imo. If you're even just a little bit interested in space, this should resonate at least a bit.

I really don't understand how ANYBODY could be against upping NASA's budget.
    Last edited by noralya; 2013-01-19 at 06:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, once we learn how to manage money...we also need to open up some more deep sea exploration.

NASA pissed away millions of dollars on some lame ass attempt to reinvent the rocket. So no they do not deserve a bigger budget. Unless they promise to deliver on Space Shuttle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    NASA pissed away millions of dollars on some lame ass attempt to reinvent the rocket. So no they do not deserve a bigger budget. Unless they promise to deliver on Space Shuttle 2.0
    as opposed to the billions that Derpa spent making a robot that could eat plants?

Yes and no. Space research and exploration is an amazing endeavor, and should really be pushed. I, however, do not think NASA would use the extra funding in any significant way. They play PR games and attempt to manipulate the hype machine already with shoddy science. The main problem is that people just don't care, and when the majority of people in a nation are more enthralled with the weekly adventures of "The Real Housewives of X", "Honey Boo Boo", or any of the other fucking trash that is on television, NASA will never get what it needs for space progression. The most exciting news that the populace has responded to with NASA recently was an employees haircut... As far as I'm concerned all hope is lost unless we exterminate that branch of the populace.

10+ Year Old Account
    use the budget to reanimate von braun

I'd prefer a company that obtained its funding through multiple governments such as America, Britain, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc. Could end up with 3 times the funding than NASA.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we reduced the U.S. military machine's budget by 10%, we could increase NASA's budget by 350%...

The future of mankind isn't in the development of battleships; it lies in the colonization of space and other worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am curious is there is any official way to "donate" to NASA?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    I am curious is there is any official way to "donate" to NASA?
    It is possible. But apparently it is hard as hell. Read more here.

First we should try to get the economy right in the world. Then we can discuss if they should have more money.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    use the budget to reanimate von braun
    He would roll back to his grave once he saw what has become of NASA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    kinda strange you would say that....

http://gizmodo.com/5942634/nasa-star...rek-warp-drive
    Ugh. This has been discussed in a couple of threads already (see here). I would love nothing more than to purge these ridiculous articles from our beloved internet, as they're written to generate page views instead of accurately communicating NASA's plans or operations.

---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 09:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    NASA does what the President and Congress instruct. If you're so eager to assign failure, you should first make sure you're blaming the proper entities. That programs get cancelled amidst budget cuts and presidential or policy transitions is strictly a political failure.

NASA investigated the possibility of "Space Shuttle 2.0" repeatedly over the years, from more advanced orbiters and launch vehicles themselves to futuristic reusable single-stage-to-orbit variants. They're not only way too expensive at this point in time, but also not feasible vehicles for the goals NASA has been assigned, which is why the concepts were shelved. You can deliver larger payloads to Earth orbit (and beyond) more safely and for far less money with rockets than with exotic spaceplane concepts.

I know people tend to want something more exotic and futuristic, but what you're going to get (for now) is this:

---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 09:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    as opposed to the billions that Derpa spent making a robot that could eat plants?
    Or the $46 billion spent on canceled Department of Defense projects over the last decade. (And those are just the ones we know of.)

Absolutely, more scientific research and less welfare. This chart is appalling:

Money to spare for science? Nah, we're short on that. Money to spare for people to not work? Plenty to go around!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    It is possible. But apparently it is hard as hell. Read more here.

First we should try to get the economy right in the world. Then we can discuss if they should have more money.
    So, they can accept it but can't ask for it thus having no official "donate button" in their websites.

10+ Year Old Account
    18,000,000,000 NASA

1,500,000,000,000 Pentagon spending

Every year.

It would take 6 months of defense spending to match the entire NASA budget since it's formation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    18,000,000,000 NASA

1,500,000,000,000 Pentagon spending

Every year.

It would take 6 months of defense spending to match the entire NASA budget since it's formation.
    And thats before inflation!

I think before we start throwing money at NASA so we can travel into space better, we should fix some of our problems here on Earth.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think before we start throwing money at NASA so we can travel into space better, we should fix some of our problems here on Earth.
    Most people don't realize the amount of problems on earth we have fixed with NASA discoveries/technology. Enlighten yourself!