Poll: What is your pick for Best Picture at the Oscars this year?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Eh, 2013 just started? Shouldn't this be 2012 awards?

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Eh, 2013 just started? Shouldn't this be 2012 awards?

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
    The 85th Academy Awards are held on February 24th in 2013, honoring the films of 2012. Simple as that

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It is flat out robbery that J. Phoenix wasn't nominated for best actor. Not saying he should have won it, but to not even put him in the running was a bit absurd.
    He was nominated for best actor...

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    Look, if you want to see The Hobbit, The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, The Cabin in the Woods and The Hunger Games score big, go to People’s Choice Awards or the MTV Movie Awards, they are for people like you. The Academy Awards are honoring artistic films with more on the mind than pure entertainment (yes, Chris Nolan is a fantastic director and all, but comic book flicks and horror shows aren’t meant for this kind of honor, sorry to say). The Academy Awards reward important films by important directors, which is why it isn’t for the masses. No wonder you don’t know half of the nominated films, you probably only watched a couple of movies last year. But we are many who watch most movies (one way or another) that come out every year, and follow the Oscars closely. We appreciate films as an art form. It’s fine if you didn’t like Amour because it was depressing (you probably didn’t even watch it). But please don’t show up everywhere on the internet, whining about the snubs you are clearly biased for. As I mentioned, there are Awards shows for the masses. But those are not the Oscars. There are dimensions between the two. This is just a reminder to the average moviegoer, that he or she shouldn’t care that much for the Oscars if he or she doesn’t care much for the film business either. The People’s Choice Awards are clearly more important for you.

Guys, don’t look at this post as flaming or hating on the average moviegoer and the masses, and please don’t call me a snob or a hipster. I am just a fan of cinema who respects the work of our directors, and films as an art form. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t like a movie, there are other movies for you. Every year thousands of people, including myself, endure the massive outcry that is produced by the public on every possible site on the internet, when the Oscar nominations are announced. And I’m sick and tired of people claiming Joss Whedon got snubbed while Michael Haneke is a piece of trash, even though they clearly didn’t see his movie.

Again, this is not an attempt to start a flamewar, nor is it any kind of attempt to insult the mainstream audiences or elevate more serious audiences.
    Eh just b/c something was a pop-culture film doesn't make it any less artistic than the movies that get Oscars. Last I checked art was subjective.
    Those who you know as Warlocks are your Salvation through Destruction. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowygoodness View Post
    Eh just b/c something was a pop-culture film doesn't make it any less artistic than the movies that get Oscars. Last I checked art was subjective.
    This isn't completely true, although I really enjoyed the Avengers and put it on my top 10 list for how much fun it was, it definitely is no artistic masterpiece, especially compared to all these nominees. It is entertaining but remember the Oscars do not award movies for just being extremely entertaining, they reward things with substance to them.

This is one of the reasons you read books like The Great Gatsby and not Batman comic strips or Harry Potter in your English class (at least I hope so).

Oscars are wheeling in, after seeing all the movies this year here would be my vote
    NOTE: these aren't necessarily my favorite because I am voting on what I thought was the most solid in the category with the fewest flaws. For example I loved Les Miserables but I thought it had a very unbalanced ensemble where some actor's/actress' absolutely nailed their scenes and were phenomenal (Anne Hathaway), and some were really awful and were a detriment to the film (Russell Crowe). For best film i'm voting for what I think did the best (despite my personal opinions/preferences on them) objectively in an overall sense (meaning it had a great screenplay, great performances and a great acting ensemble when it is a medium-large cast, great directing, etc.)

For these I'm going to list all the ones I think deserve a win in the order I think they deserve it (meaning I would personally be alright with anything on the list winning)

Best Picture
    1.Argo
    2.Lincoln
    3.Silver Linings Playbook
    4.Life of Pi
    5.Zero Dark Thirty

Best Actor
    Side note: It's not that I think nobody else in the category was overly strong, in fact I loved Bradley Cooper and Joaquin Phoenix for their roles, but Daniel Day Lewis honestly deserves this 100% and him not winning it after his performance as Lincoln would be a crime.
    1.Daniel Day Lewis

Best Actress
    1.Jessica Chastain
    2.Jennifer Lawrence
    3.Emmanuelle Riva

Best Supporting Actor
    Note: An incredibly hard category here, this one ended up just being my prefernce considering I found the top 3 to be pretty much even as an actor myself. Plus each actor pulled a completely different performance that are hard to compare.
    1.Christoph Waltz
    2.Robert De Niro
    3.Tommy Lee Jones
    4.Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Best Supporting Actress
    1.Anne Hathaway

Best Director
    1.Steven Spielberg
    2.David O. Russell
    3.Ang Lee

Best Original Screenplay
    1.Django Unchained
    2.Amour
    3.Zero Dark Thirty
    4.Moonrise Kingdom

Best Adapted Screenplay
    1.Argo
    2.Silver Linings Playbook
    3.Lincoln

Best Foreign Language Film
    1.Amour

Best Documentary
    1.Searching for the Sugar Man
    2.How to Survive a Plague

Best Animated Feature
    1.Wreck-It Ralph
    2.ParaNorman
    3.Frankenweenie

Best Cinematography
    1.Life of Pi

Best Film Editing
    1.Zero Dark Thirty
    2.Silver Linings Playbook
    3.Life of Pi
    4.Argo

Best Original Score
    1.Argo
    2.Life of Pi
    3.Lincoln

Best Original Song
    1.Pi's Lullaby
    2.Skyfall
    3.Suddenly

Best Production Design
    1.Les Miserables
    2.Lincoln
    3.Life of Pi

Best Costume Design
    1.Les Miserables
    2.Lincoln

Sound Editing
    1.Life of Pi
    2.Zero Dark Thirty
    3.Argo

Best Sound Mixing
    1.Les Miserables
    2.Life of Pi
    3.Argo

Best Visual Effects
    1.Life of Pi

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
    1.Les Miserables
    2.The Hobbit
    3.Hitchcock

Deleted
    I was kinda hoping the Hobbit would get more nominations, I absolutely *loved* it