Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Speaking of Haswell & new motherboards... I hope the new Asus Sabertooth board looks sexy.
    I hope they don't take such ridiculous price premium on it.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Isn't that the whole point of Sabertooths? They add five cents worth of plastic and 50 dollars on the pricetag.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly? It's Asus, they tend to ask premiums for their stuff, even their low end stuff. I just hope the pressure from the likes of Gigabyte, ASRock, MSI, and EVGA will be strong enough to keep them moderately priced at least.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Isn't that the whole point of Sabertooths? They add five cents worth of plastic and 50 dollars on the pricetag.
    I guess, but I can see how using that "thermal plate" would make a clean looking build.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 01:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Honestly? It's Asus, they tend to ask premiums for their stuff, even their low end stuff. I just hope the pressure from the likes of Gigabyte, ASRock, MSI, and EVGA will be strong enough to keep them moderately priced at least.
    At least in Sweden EVGA has a pretty big premium added to their price as well sadly, I kind of like their motherboards.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account

At least in Sweden EVGA has a pretty big premium added to their price as well sadly, I kind of like their motherboards.

their boards have been crap since the the X58 Classy3, hopefully they can get back into the game with their new x79 board

Deleted
    All of EVGA's products in Europe have higher price sadly.

Deleted
    That's 1.5 dinners at Becks Prime, I think I can manage the intake loss

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    That's 1.5 dinners at Becks Prime, I think I can manage the intake loss
    or 30 odd games on steam

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    or 30 odd games on steam
    True, my point is just that some of us don't mind paying a little extra to get what we want, who's counting pennies. I'll still eat the delicious burgers so I didn't save anything haha. Sorry for offtopic.

10+ Year Old Account
    These are 14nm? What happened to Intel's tick-tock?

Nevermind. The ones they're releasing are 22nm, and then will have a die-shrink later.
    Last edited by Skelly; 2013-01-20 at 02:38 AM.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

going by what the overwhelming majority thinks it needs it pointless, the overwhelming majority of computer users wouldn't know which end of a computer is up with it wasn't labeled, and even among gamers, the overwhelming majority needs to upgrade and quit using there crappy dual core cpus, the limitation on computer gaming is more their fault than it is of consoles, as much as developers don't want to spend time porting a console game, they also dont want to invest time into making a game that only 3% of computer gamers can run
    That's fine. That doesn't change the fact that have 16+ cores in CPUs is pretty useless for most PC use cases. PC gamers are a very small market. What are office workers going to do with massively parallel 16+ core computers? Load their Outlook, SAP or Excel faster? There's no point in investing big resources to make something that very few people would have a use for.

---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 05:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Most desktops are quad core these days, most laptops are using i5 dual core processors because they are cheaper. So if Intel dropped the dual core version of the i5 and either juices up the i3 to be more powerful and they make the i5 a budget quad core for laptops, things would be far less of an issue. Mobile computing is far more popular then desktops in general too, so laptops could potentially be holding back gaming as well.
    TDP limits what can go in laptops.

or Excel
    There are some VERY CPU intensive analyses that you can perform with Excel, just saying.

same thing with computer CPUs, it doesn't matter how popular the i3 and i5 mobile are, they simply don't get the job done when it comes to content production, virtualization, and compute
    Why the heck would you use a laptop for content production, virtualization, or compute when a laptop is going to be massively constrained by TDP, power, RAM, GPU, etc? If you are, obviously fastest speed isn't your priority.

Don't use a screwdriver to hammer nails.

Again I have to point out how wrongheaded you are to criticize Intel for "just focusing on power efficiency" when power consumption is what limits the top end of the mobile scale.

---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 05:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    There are some VERY CPU intensive analyses that you can perform with Excel, just saying.
    16 cores worth? If you need that out of Excel, you're probably using the wrong tool.
    Last edited by Cows For Life; 2013-01-25 at 10:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    16 cores worth? If you need that out of Excel, you're probably using the wrong tool.
    Excel and Access, are two database applications that can get massive. You know how Excel can literally have endless rows/columns put in? Now let's say you had some ridiculous math equations going on across all of them too, being updated very often... yes, it can become very intensive. Do you realize just how much Excel can actually do? It sure doesn't sound like it.
    "A flower.

Why the heck would you use a laptop for content production, virtualization, or compute when a laptop is going to be massively constrained by TDP, power, RAM, GPU, etc? If you are, obviously fastest speed isn't your priority.
    Laptops are being used for those tasks no matter how much you disbelieve. Corporations get laptops for people who travel a lot (either between departments or between countries), and those need to be beefy enough for all work related tasks, both big and small.

Monte Carlo simulations for Excel are real world task, and so intensive it's often used as a CPU+disc benchmark.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-01-25 at 11:27 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Don't use a screwdriver to hammer nails.

Again I have to point out how wrongheaded you are to criticize Intel for "just focusing on power efficiency" when power consumption is what limits the top end of the mobile scale.

---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 05:50 PM ----------

Excel sheet with 2 million+ entries, cross-referencing cells, calculations that cascade through the sheet, just OPENING a spreadsheet of that size takes a long time.

Laptops are being used for those tasks no matter how much you disbelieve. Corporations get laptops for people who travel a lot (either between departments or between countries), and those need to be beefy enough for all work related tasks, both big and small.

Monte Carlo simulations for Excel are real world task, and so intensive it's often used as a CPU+disc benchmark.
    If workers are traveling between offices and CPU time is that critical, the company should be providing the right tools. Of course they may not actually do so.

Sounds more like an I/O limitation for a simulation needed by a small department.

10+ Year Old Account
    If workers are traveling between offices and CPU time is that critical, the company should be providing the right tools. Of course they may not actually do so.

Sounds more like an I/O limitation for a simulation needed by a small department.
    As much as I hate laptops and advice strongly against them for doing heavy tasks/gaming in general, for very mobile people, there are such things as workstation laptops which are considerably more powerful than what people might be used to seeing at their local Best Buy, Micro Center, Tiger Direct, etc.

Such as going to www.sagernotebook.com... they make some EXCEPTIONAL workstation laptops, complete with 2~ hard drives/solid state drives, full SB-E i7, GTX 680M in SLI, 32GB RAM... need I say more?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    As much as I hate laptops and advice strongly against them for doing heavy tasks/gaming in general, for very mobile people, there are such things as workstation laptops which are considerably more powerful than what people might be used to seeing at their local Best Buy, Micro Center, Tiger Direct, etc.

Such as going to www.sagernotebook.com... they make some EXCEPTIONAL workstation laptops, complete with 2~ hard drives/solid state drives, full SB-E i7, GTX 680M in SLI, 32GB RAM... need I say more?
    It probably overheats in about 10 minutes, and weighs 25+ lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    It probably overheats in about 10 minutes, and weighs 25+ lbs.
    Workstation notebooks don't need to have the dimensions, battery life and weight of an ultrabook.