Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Nightmare of the Depths, a Fan Expansion Concept

The title is work in progress of course, but after being nudged on by a few people on this sight, I've decided to write up an actual thread of my concept of a possible future Expansion, whether it be the next, or the one after, etc.

UPDATE: I'm updating this entire thing due to the recent trademarking of Eye of Azshara. Though I'm one of the people skeptical of it in fact being a WoW expansion, speculation is always fun, and I think this is the most legitimate route we'd see the story of such an expansion play out. Cheers.

Anyways, I present to you my idea:

World of Warcraft: Nightmare of the Depths

(Overused Image, I know)

Since time long past, the waters of Azeroth have remained calm, weathering the storm that stands at its surface. But now, as the discovery of Pandaria and the aftermath of the Siege of Orgrimmar wane, the sea itself finds itself bubbling with the tides of war. As millenia after millenia have gone by, the eerie quiet from the depths has found itself disappearing quickly. The Naga, twisted visages of their former pride and glory as Highborne, have been waging a dark war against the denizens above ground. The former High Elves of Zin-Azshari and their brethren have seethed with hate and jealousy for the dwellers that walk the earth, biding their time until one day, these small incursion forces of the Naga will become a full fledged armada, led not just by their majestic and powerful Queen Azshara, but the insanity of the Old God N'zoth himself too. The God of Old rests, sleeping in the forgotten city of Ny'alotha, biding his time as a plan set in motion with his colleague's fall results in their, or just his, rise to glory once more.

This plan. This evil, terrible plan was thought to have ended along with the Cataclysm, as Deathwing, the Destroyer, was destroyed. The Hour of Twilight was its given name, and all mortals that remain alive today think it to have gone and passed, a failure of the True Lords. But this was a lie; a facade to the face of man.

Now, the Queen of the Depths, Azshara puts her master's plan into true action. With the capture of Neptulon after the events within the Throne of the Tides, his power has been restrained by the Lords of the Abyss, and been put toward the final steps of N'zoth's masterpiece.

As the Races of Alliance and Horde finish their squabble over Pandaria and leadership of the Horde, the watery bottom of the Sea bubbles with the songs of War and Destruction. The seafloor itself brims in excitement, as wildlife from the darkest corners of the land below flee to the surface, running from the horrors that are coming for us all.

Something is coming to the surface; something Old; something Lost; something Evil; something that will plunge reality of this world into the Nightmare of the Depths.

Basic Conception and Summary:
    Welcome to the Nightmare! An idea that came to fruition when Azshara's prized pet Ozumat took the Tidehunter himself to her and her Old God masters.

The Nightmare of the Depths is a new expansion concept, bringing war between the Old God N'zoth and the Naga toward the Horde and Alliance. This is no fight for the land of Kalimdor nor the Eastern Kingdoms.

The seafloor itself rises to the surface around the Maelstrom, bringing the Naga Kingdom of Nazjatar, the broken remnants of Zandalar, the lost island of Kul Tiras, and a whole lot more from the abyss up to sea level.

Under N'zoth's command, the Naga have come to take back what was once theirs, and N'zoth himself, while slumbering, is the driving force of the invasion. The Hour of Twilight failed in Cataclysm, but threads it left in place were knitted into an even greater plan that follows the fall of Neptulon. With the ability to control the sea itself in their hands, the Sea Floor is commanded to rise by the denizens of the deep, bringing uncharted and lost lands to the surface, and acting as a staging ground for the Faceless and Naga.

A multitude of New Zones, lost and now found, have come to us. New Raids, New Dungeons, New Scenarios, New BGs, New Race Models, and so much more content await for us in the Nightmare of the Depths.

Basic Information:

*The Nightmare Rises: the Naga and Old God N'zoth have risen to the surface, bringing their lands from the sea floor with them, and the kingdoms of Naz'jatar and Ny'alotha with it. As the Alliance and Horde break away from their pettiness in their squabbles, war has come from them from the last place they expected.
    *New Lands discovered: As players are launched from their Horde and Alliance offensives to combat the Naga on their home turf, they will come to explore a multitude of new lands, like the Naga Capital Naz'jatar, the City of Insanity Ny'alotha, the Lost Kingdom of Zandalar, the Rift, the Drowned Reaches, and the Ruins of Broken Time.
    *A new sense of strength: Level Cap raised to 95, with each class being rewarded with new skills, new Talents added in for the new 5 level stretch, and adjustments to the Talent Trees to fix a better pattern of leveling to 95.
    *New Races, Same Faces: the races of Old have gotten new faces and models. From Orcs to Dwarves, from Draenei to Trolls, every race have gotten a needed cosmetic makeover to meet with the evolving game and times of WoW. Sub race options have been added for looks, whether it be Frost or Zandalar Trolls who have joined the Darkspear Cause, to Dark Iron and Frost Dwarves for the Dwarven Races of Ironforge. New alliances have been forged for the multitude of Azeroth's races to take up the fight against the dark.
    *Tweaked Talent System: the system introduced in Mists has remained, but with some cosmetic changes, from balance to tweeks, including new level 95 talents, offering a simple 5 levels from the Talent Choices of 90 to 95. Adjustments might be made for all levels, crunching the time at which you gain talent choices sooner rather than later and more sporadic.
    *Archaeology Evolved: those who have offered time and effort to bring their skills in the art of Archaeology to their peak will be offered a new sense and calling in the world, exploring the lost lands of the abyss. Archaeologists will find certain new artifacts in these new places, using them as "keys" for flashbacks to give more clues to the story, a long with finding memories of the past to find long forgotten treasure, weapons, and areas.
    *Professional Guilds: get a Job! No, really! Those who have honed their professional abilities to their absolute brim may now take up jobs in the world to a certain Master Guild. It's not how it sounds! Players of all Professions, once meeting level 675 for their profession(s) will receive an invitation to join the likes of the Masters of all trades, quest with them to find patterns that don't simply drop in Raids nor Dungeons, and cannot be found in the normal world. Some patterns make extremely powerful gear, while others make devices that can be used to explore certain locked off areas of the world.

A New Land Rises:
    As the Naga empires and remnants of lands long passed come to the world we know today, a number of new environments are left for the world to explore and experience.

Nazjatar, Bastion of the Naga: The great, hulking crown of the Naga empire, where Queen Azshara holds her seat of power. The Horde and Alliance offensives will land off the shores of the overwhelming new landmass that has come to the surface, battling a threshold of enemies, not just the Naga and their Queen. Faceless ones, enslaved Murlocs, remnants of the Twilight's Hammer, and the armies of the Naga will assault the Horde and Alliance as they try to get a foothold, and spread their numbers to the other locals of these new grounds we stand upon.

The Drowned Reaches: As the main attack takes place in Nazjatar, smaller platoons of each faction will find their way to the Drowned Reaches, a place of black and broken forest. Here, some of the true horrors of the Naga empire remain, along with secrets of their Empire's rise, and a sense of insanity that whisper in the wood. Tentacles of the Old Gods thrive here, making sure the secrets of the Naga, and their own, remain secret.

Ruins of Broken Time: Adventurers who eventually venture here will find only pieces of times past. Broken kingdoms, remnants of lost High Elf cities, Kezan as it fell to the sea floor, and Zandalar's broken form are all that lay here. Yet from the ashes of the fallen rise new threats and new allies of the Naga force. Raztakhan, saved in a dark bargain with the serpents of the deep and their Gods of Old, now commands the twisted remnants of the Zandalar who still fight under his banner. Drowned, undead Goblins join their ranks, along with the backing of the Faceless and their Generals. Somehow, still in tact after all time, a former kingdom of the Zandalar remains in full construct, as the Horde and Voljin take up arms within as a foothold and staging ground on this Nightmare.

The City of Insanity, Ny'alotha: The true nightmares of time lay here, the citadel of Old God power still left in this physical world. Ny'alotha, the greatest of all the fortresses of the Old Gods, thrives still like their very tentacles. As the soldiers of war find themselves in the horrible land, filled with more monstrosities, evil, and chaos than one could possibly imagine, whispers will fleet to them like they did to Deathwing and Cho'gall. Something dark remains in the center, pulling all strings of the Naga and Faceless; one whose name is lost in the depths, yet rises now with the Nightmares of old. Its name is N'zoth, who slumbers and lays, waiting for his time to come in the darkest depth of this maddening place.

The Rift: Once players have made their way around this disc-esque plane, the Rift awaits them in the center. As the new landmass around them thrives, so too do does the engulfing waters of the Maelstrom, and its portal to the Rift of Aln. In the finality of the initial offensive, the Horde and Alliance will make their official foothold here. But this land has no true geography; some areas have wood from the depths of the sea, while others are barren and black, and more-so thrive with live long lost from the ocean floor. The Alliance will have the great fortress of Dalaran land against the actual Rift, and act as the foothold for all Alliance forces.

(Zones are still a work in progress. These are the 5 I could formulate easily. There will probably be 1-2 more, and perhaps the Rift or the Ruins reconstructed or renamed)

Pictures and Art of Zones (Since I have no drawing ability, these are pictures I found that could equate these zones).
    Nazjatar, Bastion of the Naga:

Ruins of Broken Time:

The Drowned Reaches:

The City of Insanity, Ny'alotha

The Rift

(Under construction, since this is a very diverse and broken zone)

Old Enemies, New Faces:
    N'zoth, the Horror from Below

The Greatest of the Three; the Horror of the Deep; the Madness of the Mountains; the Terror of Ever Reaching Appendages. He holds many names and titles, but one among all others: Mastermind. Since the Old Gods' eventual jailing and imprisonment, he's crafted a plan to break him and his "brethren" free from their chains of the Titans. Whether it be breaking the Earthwarder's sanity, or turning the former glorious High Elves into Naga, or even turning the beauty of the Emerald Dream into a Nightmare too horrible to imagine, this God of Old's darkness knows no bounds. Now, instructing Azshara through the whispers of her own lost mind, she raises the Naga to war and surface against the cherished races of the Titans. But what is it that the Old God is truly planning? A simplistic onslaught such as this could not be all that is left in his hand. Something evil if being crafted behind the scenes; something twisted and dark. Not even the strongest of heroes to the World may be prepared for what madness has planned for us all.

Queen Azshara

The proprietor and leader of the Naga. Once a woman of pure beauty and majesty, now a slimy, broken mirror image of her former self. None who stand upon this earth would be able to see any resemblance between her past visage and her current. All that remains is her vain for power and pride for her people. After the capture of Neptulon, the Naga laid in wait, after years of sending small forces and attack parties to a multitude of locations in the surface world of Azeroth. Now, the time has come for her people to strike in full force. Commanded by her master, whose insanity is blacker than the darkest of nights, Azshara sees the time is truly right for her people, the "rightful" owners of Old Azeroth, to take it back by force if necessary. But ages that have gone by have not withered the Witch's power. Still, her might is above even the greatest of mages, and the likes of Jaina Proudmore, Thrall, and Malfurion Stormrage bring no level of equal to the Queen of the Highborne.

Fallen King Rastakhan

After the fall of Zandalar by his own pride, Rastakhan fell much like Azshara did. The whispers of N'zoth reached him at the brink of death, offering a way out in servitude and labor, and a promise to unite all trolls under his banner again. And so the Witch Doctor, the King of the Zandalar, the Master of the Trolls stands once more at his black hearted lord's side, second only to Azshara and her evil. The insane and fallen king has not waned in might even after his fall; the only true weakness that blinds him is hubris. Beware, for the King of Trolls rises once more, to retake his broken land, and "unite" the troll races of Azeroth under his rule, whether it be sway of power, or by force.

Raids/Future Raids:
    *The Rift of Aln(12 boss raid)
    *The Soul of Madness(7 boss raid)
    *The Palace of Azshara(12 boss raid)
    *The Court of Rastakhan(6 boss raid)
    *Caverns of Time: The Titanic War (Titans vs Old Gods war conclusion)(6 boss raid)
    *Tomb of Sargeras (Small, 2 boss raid)

Dungeons/Future Dungeons:
    *The Black Heart
    *The Citadel of the Corrupt
    *Zin'azshari
    *Ruins of Zandalar
    *The Forgotten Depths
    *The Emerald Nightmare

Anyways, that's all for now. This will be UNDER CONSTRUCTION for a while, and I'll add to it when I feel the need to.

Secondly, if anyone wants to help me actually make maps and concept art for enemies, that'd be also.

There are 2 more main enemies I could not fit into the descriptions of the zones because there are 1-2 zones are I'm still constructing and mapping out, like the new figurehead of the Twilight's Hammer, and the leader of N'zoth's Old God forces.

Again, this is simply a basis and concept of the expansion, namely lore-wise.

The Archaeology and Profession ideas I have, along with more explanation for my idea on the Race Models and having Sub Races added, will be added to this in due time.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy this little preview!

And thank you, Golden Yak, who really cheered me on the even do this.

Welcome to the Nightmare!
    Last edited by Mawnix; 2014-11-05 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    me gusta

i like this

10+ Year Old Account
    No more underwater zones, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    No more underwater zones, please.
    It's not underwater.

:x

I hated those zones too.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    0_0

Wonderful. Just one question, any plans to add a new race(s) or class? I know there's a ton of potential with the great sea to add some much-desired races.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    0_0

Wonderful. Just one question, any plans to add a new race(s) or class? I know there's a ton of potential with the great sea to add some much-desired races.
    WoW has pretty much reached the limit of 'new' races able to be added to the playable pool, barring High Elves and perhaps Ogres. The sub-race option would probably be a better idea to implement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    0_0

Not sure. I've been trying to think of some.

My idea was to add sub races to the existing races, some with some "flashy" and exclusive animations and looks, and it'd also open maybe some certain new class/race combinations.

Deleted
    This is things I'm most interested to get created into the game ever since I got in to the lore, now give it to me!

The City of Insanity, Ny'alotha doesn't look very.... WoW'ish.

But a great concept so far, I always love reading those idea's :P

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    The City of Insanity, Ny'alotha doesn't look very.... WoW'ish.

But a great concept so far, I always love reading those idea's :P
    Yeah.

Trust me, if I could draw, it'd look MUCH different.

But that's the only thing I could really find that was semi close.

All I can really do is write and that's what I did with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Not sure. I've been trying to think of some.

My idea was to add sub races to the existing races, some with some "flashy" and exclusive animations and looks, and it'd also open maybe some certain new class/race combinations.
    I can think of Ogre, Murloc, Naga, Jinyu, and Hozen off the top of my head for new races.

I'd be wary of subraces, as players may respond negatively to "reskins". I know it's not really a reskin.... but players are derp sometimes.

Only thing I'd wanna change is 10 level gain to level 100 for the next expansion (I don't think 100 will be the cap and even if it is, it isn't going to signify the end of WoW expansions).

THIS is where Cataclysm should have lead. There's no reason they can't simply extend expansions for another year or two (as in an expansion lasting 4 years) and release more patches for it. They very well could have addressed the Neptulon/Azshara/N'zoth story arc in Cataclysm if they wanted to.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Only thing I'd wanna change is 10 level gain to level 100 for the next expansion (I don't think 100 will be the cap and even if it is, it isn't going to signify the end of WoW expansions).

THIS is where Cataclysm should have lead. There's no reason they can't simply extend expansions for another year or two (as in an expansion lasting 4 years) and release more patches for it. They very well could have addressed the Neptulon/Azshara/N'zoth story arc in Cataclysm if they wanted to.
    Honestly I think Blizz wants Kil'jaeden to die at 100. It'd be a major moment and would signify a shift in story fitting for exiting the "RPG traditional" levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post

I honestly thought this would be the expansion after Cata, but I guess not.

Destil this idea of yours sounds great. Its tying up loose ends in the story and introducing new places and things while doing it. d-(^.^)z

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Destil this idea of yours sounds great. Its tying up loose ends in the story and introducing new places and things while doing it. d-(^.^)z
    I'm more-so glad so many of you like my writing. :S

I feel like writing my own expansion concept aswell, I have some great idea's for the game itself. But it takes quite a while to put all the idea's on paper, and I'm afraid that not many people would be interested in reading them.

I'll see when I have time

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I feel like writing my own expansion concept aswell, I have some great idea's for the game itself. But it takes quite a while to put all the idea's on paper, and I'm afraid that not many people would be interested in reading them.

I'll see when I have time
    I wrote this in..maybe an hour?

Wasn't hard.

Once I have an idea I can write for days with it.

We still need to actually kill Neptulon. He's supposed to be the strongest of the elemental lords by far, yet we keep getting Ragnaros.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    We still need to actually kill Neptulon. He's supposed to be the strongest of the elemental lords by far, yet we keep getting Ragnaros.
    Why would we kill Neptulon?

He was our Ally during Cataclysm. He's the equivalent of Therazane being our ally.

If anything he still is, unless N'zoth has tainted him.