Elemental Gear Swapping Pre-Pull

Hey All,

Fairly new to an elemental shaman, but I was wondering if gear swapping pre-pull would be a useful thing for elemental shamans. Here is the scenario I am talking about:

Equipping T-13 Resto 4pc -> Popping Spiritwalker's Grace for the extra haste -> Swapping back to Elemental before pull -> Continuing as normal.

I know that some classes use such tactics (Ret Pallies with T11 Prot 4pc for longer Guardian, DK's using 2pc T12 to pool Runic Power, Fury Warriors and Demo Locks having Mastery Sets) - and I was wondering if this would be viable for Elemental Shamans as well.

Thanks and I apologize if this has been mentioned before - I scrolled back a few pages to check but didn't notice anything.

It is, it's also a benefit for enhancement shamans as well.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, now this sounds interesting.

Gotta give it ago later on!

I guess it would be wroth it to save your T13 restoset for mists as you can still use this trick all of mists for some extra DPS :P

EDIT: I wonder if you can do this same trick as Enhancement with the T10 2set that gives 12% extra damage for the duration of your Shamanistic Rage... Pop Rage with 2setT10 pre-pull and equip normal gear 1sec before combat :P With good timing it'd be a good 12% damage-increase for a good 13-14 seconds at the start!

EDIT: People, donjt ever post about this again. Ever.

We dont want Blizzard fixing this so that we can "abuse" this for a bit of extra DPS even in MoP :P
    Last edited by Drunkenfinn; 2012-05-10 at 11:05 PM.

One thing to mention is keeping all your other gear the same when setting up the macro. You will put engineering tinkers and some trinkets on CD if you don't.

Deleted
    Be advised that if your tank is not perfect about following his pull countdown this will result in a craptastic performance :-D I stopped using this after having to kill Ultraxion two times in Resto gear...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyos View Post
    Be advised that if your tank is not perfect about following his pull countdown this will result in a craptastic performance :-D I stopped using this after having to kill Ultraxion two times in Resto gear...
    I used to do this basically every single boss fight, but now with the nerfs meaning DPS is not an issue I tend to not bother, the downside of people being pissed at you because your DPS was horrible as you were in Resto gear far outweighs the benefit of 30% haste for about 10 seconds, especially if you have Insignia HC.

Deleted
    I'd really like to know how to pull this off, I wanted to make a macro for changing to resto tier, using spiritwalkers grace and changing back to elemental tier and i'm having trouble figuring it out, if someone where to help me out I would be very grateful.

I tried with:

/equipset nameofmyrestotierset
    /cast spiritwalker's grace
    /equipset nameofmyelementaltierset

and had no luck :/

Remember swapping tiers on my mage back in icc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus93 View Post
    I'd really like to know how to pull this off, I wanted to make a macro for changing to resto tier, using spiritwalkers grace and changing back to elemental tier and i'm having trouble figuring it out, if someone where to help me out I would be very grateful.

I tried with:

I used two macros, that is the key. You can then include Volcanic Potion into the second one.

Here is what I use.

#showtooltip Volcanic Potion
    /use Volcanic Potion
    /cast Spiritwalker's Grace
    /equipset Ele

Ele is my normal PvE elemental gear set. I have another that is labeled Swap. It has every Ele piece except the 4 resto pieces (and doesn't include gloves since I'm an engineer).

Basicly I equip the "Swap" set, then all I have to do is press this macro. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by tidus93 View Post

I tried with:

I use the macro as followed

#showtooltip Spiritwalker's grace
    /equipset [noequipped:Shield] healing gear; enhance
    /cast Spiritwalker's grace

This basically checks if theres a shield equiped as I have a shield on my healing set and if there isnt 1 then it changes to the equipment healing gear else it goes to enhancement.
    So just 2 clicks of this button and it works like a charm. That is before Im too slow in changing back to my enhancement gear and end up dpsing a boss still in my healing gear ^^

EDIT: I wonder if you can do this same trick as Enhancement with the T10 2set that gives 12% extra damage for the duration of your Shamanistic Rage... Pop Rage with 2setT10 pre-pull and equip normal gear 1sec before combat :P With good timing it'd be a good 12% damage-increase for a good 13-14 seconds at the start!
    Oh I never even thought of that, im guessing if that works, it would also be possible to use both the resto tier 13 and the enhancement tier 10 set bonus? Could do some pretty decent dps at the start of a fight if you pull it off correctly
    Last edited by mjolnrik; 2012-05-12 at 01:29 AM.

Delaxes
    Yes, you can use both sets for a pre pot, I have my resto t13 4set on first, have a macro to use SWG, then equip the t10 2 set, and another macro to pop shamanistic rage (better to have it second since it's on the global and doesn't last as long imo), pop a potion, and then switch back to my normal pve enhance gear
    If you are an engineer remember to never swap out your gloves if possible doing this

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfinn View Post
    Oh, now this sounds interesting.

Gotta give it ago later on!

I guess it would be wroth it to save your T13 restoset for mists as you can still use this trick all of mists for some extra DPS :P

EDIT: People, donjt ever post about this again. Ever.

We dont want Blizzard fixing this so that we can "abuse" this for a bit of extra DPS even in MoP :P
    Sorry for the massive necro, but i would just like to remind my Elemental Brethren that they get shamanistic rage in patch 5.2. Thus, they too can use this to get 12% increased damage. Have fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinvisable2 View Post
    This still works?
    It was fixed with the 5.1 patch (T13) one. Dunno about Shamanistic Rage,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buhrag View Post
    Sorry for the massive necro, but i would just like to remind my Elemental Brethren that they get shamanistic rage in patch 5.2. Thus, they too can use this to get 12% increased damage. Have fun.
    Was the 12% damage ever actually a thing? I never saw anyone confirm it was working, and I would have assumed they would have fixed it concurrently with the SWG nerf if it had been working.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |