Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[PC] What part to upgrade.

Hey guys

I need some advice to upgrading my computer, I'm pretty sure it's the GPU that is the worst bottleneck here, but I got no clue what to get.

Specs:
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9 x 2
    GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
    Power Supply: Silver Power SP-SS750M 750W PSU
    CPU: Intel® Core i5-2500K Processor
    MoBo: MSI P67A-C45 B3, Socket-1155

Running it with Windows 7, and two monitors (BenQ 24" GL24050HM(For all games) and an old LG 19" LCD L194WT (For voice coms, spotify and chrome))
    Also got 2x500GB HDDs (One of them are: Western Digital Caviar GP 500GB SATA2, 16MB 7200RPM, the other one I cant remember as it's just one I found home when I picked other computers apart to make one for my litlebrother.)
    I never use this computer to anything except gaming, I got a laptop for movies and such that I connect to my TV.

I dont realy have any problems running any games as it is now, I only lagg when I run two WoW screens (I do this from time to time when lvling, as I and a friend that cant be online more than a few hours each day because he's in the army, share a RAF atm.)
    I do for some reason also get a WoW Error, wich simply put - say I got to litle memory or something.. I got a total of 8GB ram, shouldnt this be enough to run WoW without problems?

Thanks for all the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

So you are running 2 wow clients and play both yours and your friend's account at the same time? Have you tried decreasing the visual quality for the second client to increase performance?
    As for that error you might want to test your RAM with memtest because faulty modules can cause that error.

Your system is fine. I've noticed the huge lag while running 2 accounts as well since MoP came out. Ram usage goes way up.

What are you trying to accomplish with the upgrade?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    ssd and maybe an aftermarket cooler in order to OC the cpu where possible (P67 maybe has limited options in order get some minor OC out of it)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    ssd and maybe an aftermarket cooler in order to OC the cpu where possible (P67 maybe has limited options in order get some minor OC out of it)
    P67 has the same overclockability as the Z68 and Z77.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed the huge lag while running 2 accounts as well since MoP came out. Ram usage goes way up.
    What do you mean by "ram usage goes way up"... I would expect ram usage to roughly double. Two clients. I just tested it, and my main game used about 1.1gb before, and a second one used... about 1.1gb. The first one did not increase. I'm not sure if 1.1gb is normal, but running two clients shouldn't cause problems on a system with 8.

The 8GB RAM for your computer is more than enough for any game currently out now. The problem is most likely lies with the 1GB VRAM on your GPU. Games mainly rely on vram from the GPU and not the RAM attached to your motherboard (unless your using onboard graphics). As stalkerzzzz pointed out try lowering your setting or upgrade to a 2GB+ GPU, I beleive this will fix your problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    P67 has the same overclockability as the Z68 and Z77.
    thought it was locked like a HXX series.
    in that case get an aftermarket cooler and overclock away the 2500k is really a beast to overclock.

What are you trying to accomplish with the upgrade?
    Dont know to be honest, I just enjoy building x] And I got this urge to make it perform better and better and beeetter!

The truth is that it's pretty decent I guess. Should probably get an SSD to get it started quicker ^^

I got a CPU watercooling system, didnt realy understand the whole OC process though, but I got it up to 3.7ghz without getting a bluescreen I think, and it stays cooled. I got a Corsair H70 cooling system.

So when do you suggest I need to upgrade GPU? Isnt the one I got a pretty old model? It runs games just fine at the moment for sure, but I like to think ahead, and that one was just one I bought because I realy needed one and didnt have the money for a 560ti something x]

Yes I'm a noob to this, and this is my first computer I built. And I need to say - I got hooked by the fun of building and making it run like a dream!
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

in that case get an aftermarket cooler and overclock away the 2500k is really a beast to overclock.
    The difference between P67 and Z68 is that Z68 has support for the iGPU, with that comes Intel Quick Sync and it also supports SSD caching.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3 Crack View Post
    The 8GB RAM for your computer is more than enough for any game currently out now. The problem is most likely lies with the 1GB VRAM on your GPU. Games mainly rely on vram from the GPU and not the RAM attached to your motherboard (unless your using onboard graphics). As stalkerzzzz pointed out try lowering your setting or upgrade to a 2GB+ GPU, I beleive this will fix your problem.
    I dont get any memory error while running Black Ops 2 or any other game for a couple of hours though.. But I just ordered a ne Windows 7 copy (as I've been playing on a pirate copy, and I cant say I like it.. Get this error message all the time, and actually almost lost arena games because of it >.<).
    So I guess I need to reinstall everything on the HDD after I install Windows 7?

I do aswell have two more RAM bricks (They where dirt cheap and I bought 4 of them, with a total of 16gb RAM.), but for some reason my computer wouldnt boot up when I had them all in so I've only used two (Wich is more than enough, atleast thats what I've read).
    But then lately I've had this WoW error problem, and its getting anoying, it only happens when I've had the computer on for many hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    So when do you suggest I need to upgrade GPU? Isnt the one I got a pretty old model? It runs games just fine at the moment for sure, but I like to think ahead, and that one was just one I bought because I realy needed one and didnt have the money for a 560ti something x]
    You upgrade the GPU when you feel like the performance you have isn't enough for the games you play. Pretty simple really. Though some people also like to upgrade when they have money burning holes in their pockets
    A SSD sounds like a good upgrade.

How much should I be able to OC it with those specs I got? Think I got it at 3.7ghz now (Cant check as I'm at school atm)

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 11:31 AM ----------

You upgrade the GPU when you feel like the performance you have isn't enough for the games you play. Pretty simple really. Though some people also like to upgrade when they have money burning holes in their pockets
    A SSD sounds like a good upgrade.
    Everytime I got money burning holes in my pockets I get a new tattoo x] Addicted to that aswell.. :P

Deleted
    How much should I be able to OC it with those specs I got? Think I got it at 3.7ghz now (Cant check as I'm at school atm)

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 11:31 AM ----------

Everytime I got money burning holes in my pockets I get a new tattoo x] Addicted to that aswell.. :P
    depends on how good your chip is Vcore wise but going in the 4.0-4.5 range should be doable.
    what games do you play and do you like all the crispy special effects ?

How much should I be able to OC it with those specs I got? Think I got it at 3.7ghz now (Cant check as I'm at school atm)[COLOR="red"]
    That is individual for every chip, but you can expect around 4.5GHz. Most 2500K reach that without issues.

If you catch the computer upgrade bug you won't be able to afford anymore of those :P

depends on how good your chip is Vcore wise but going in the 4.0-4.5 range should be doable.
    what games do you play and do you like all the crispy special effects ?
    Games: WoW, LoL, Black Ops 2 (And some of the older CoD models when I feel like it), Diablo 3 and Battlefield 3
    And yes, I realy enjoy it when I can turn those effects up, and enjoy the game to the fullest! Though it can be overkill and I dont do it now, cant remember what settings I run WoW on atm though.

Deleted
    Games: WoW, LoL, Black Ops 2 (And some of the older CoD models when I feel like it), Diablo 3 and Battlefield 3
    And yes, I realy enjoy it when I can turn those effects up, and enjoy the game to the fullest! Though it can be overkill and I dont do it now, cant remember what settings I run WoW on atm though.
    so what's the budget?

That is individual for every chip, but you can expect around 4.5GHz. Most 2500K reach that without issues.

If you catch the computer upgrade bug you won't be able to afford anymore of those :P
    Haha true, both are very expensive to be addicted to.. Though I am soon to become a tattoo artist, so in a year or two(when I start my apprenticeship) I guess I need to put all this gaming on the shelf and focus on tattooing, as it's more a lifestyle than a job.
    I know for certain I never will be able to leave gaming though, loved it since I played Sonic on my friends SEGA ages ago, and when I finaly could afford a Super Nintendo <3

Thanks for all the awesome replies guys, I guess I'll see if I can find a good SSD next paycheck. Any tips? I'm a poor student, even though I earn about 5000NOK ($892 and 669.82€ if google is right), so need to suit that cash range

Deleted
    Haha true, both are very expensive to be addicted to.. Though I am soon to become a tattoo artist, so in a year or two(when I start my apprenticeship) I guess I need to put all this gaming on the shelf and focus on tattooing, as it's more a lifestyle than a job.
    I know for certain I never will be able to leave gaming though, loved it since I played Sonic on my friends SEGA ages ago, and when I finaly could afford a Super Nintendo <3

Thanks for all the awesome replies guys, I guess I'll see if I can find a good SSD next paycheck. Any tips? I'm a poor student, even though I earn about 5000NOK ($892 and 669.82€ if google is right), so need to suit that cash range
    so wait we can spend $890? because we could get you a awesome gtx 680 + 120/128 gb ssd for +- 700-750 (guessing approx prices)