Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guarantee someone is going to be bashing our current president, saying he is the anti-christ, muslim, atheistic, non-Murrican', devil and that ObamaCare would doom the United States.

OT: I think Socialized healthcare works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Canada also has to pay very little if any for national defense since the US pretty much protects Canada with their defense
    Canada (the nation I currently live in) has a much better respect for the general will of the world populace.
    Canada also generally is not a massive obstructionist in the U.N
    Canada engenders alot of good will for it's humanitarian efforts across the world.

Canada does alot of things. The least of which is living above the united states.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Why does socialized medicine suck again?
    Because it doesn't 'line' enough pockets in congress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Canada also has to pay very little if any for national defense since the US pretty much protects Canada with their defense

The only country to ever attack Canada was the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because it's not a monopsony. You're trying to apply that term, but it doesn't fit, since Canada (as an example) isn't the entire market. We're a single nation, and the market is international.

We're a strong customer, with a lot of buying power, but we are by no means the only one. If that's your claim, then you're basing your entire argument on a lie.
    I'm sorry but if you really believe that then you have never heard of a regional monopoly.

I'm pointing out that nothing's really changed between now and then. I'm not saying it was better, then, I'm saying it's no better, today. Edit: Speaking with regards to military conflict; the world's improved overall in other ways, of course.

For most people, the wars don't really matter that much to the people in general. WWI/II and the Cold War were the exceptions, not the rule, since those were the first times the world itself seemed to be at risk, rather than wars being relatively regional and in limited battlefields. And those three wars were because of superpowers, not despite them.
    You really don't see how the world is better off without a power vacuum? When was the last time something like annexation was a real concern of any nation that wasn't in Africa? Would you argue that threat of American intervention doesn't keep West-hating nations such as Iran from applying pressure to Europe via the Strait of Hormuz?

What keeps North Korea from marching into South Korea? What stops China from gobbling up Taiwan or straight up annexing Japanese/Korean territory? Who do you think prevented Russia from just going hog-wild all over Europe right after WW2? Surely you don't think these nations rest on their laurels because they don't and didn't want anything.

And WW2 wasn't a result of superpowers fighting. It was a result of power-grabs from nations that WANTED to be the superpowers.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is hilariously wrong. Canada doesn't rely on the US for national defense, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    BINGO! HOW FUN!

I agree but in terms of healthcare I think you want to give people some reassurance that they won't be left to die in the streets. Now the law is such that that won't happen. In principle and in law the united states already recognizes that they won't let this happen so were not really having a question of taking care of your fellow man, were in actuality having a conversation of the most effecient way to do it. Having people spam the emergency room is not the best way.
    You are so happy i caught that reference aren't you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Very true. I'm glad to see history is still taught somewhere.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 05:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    You are so happy i caught that reference aren't you?
    LOL Cristoph Waltz is the best.
    The hammer comes down:
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also the little detail of the country covering much of a continent and being surrounded by megametres of oceans on three sides making any sort of invasion slightly challenging.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was on welfare, for 2 months, and now i am in Medical School as well... Dem moochers!
    Yeah, and I guess taxpayers are paying for that education as well and funding your life while you attend

Untrue. Denmark and Canada regularly board each other's vessels and take down the others flag on the Greenland/Canadian border

10+ Year Old Account
    This is hilariously wrong. Canada doesn't rely on the US for national defense, at all.
    We do, at least as far a nuclear deterrent. Though without the USA, I suspect the need for said deterrent would be minimal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    You really don't see how the world is better off without a power vacuum? When was the last time something like annexation was a real concern of any nation that wasn't in Africa?
    2008, Georgia.
    Would you argue that threat of American intervention doesn't keep West-hating nations such as Iran from applying pressure to Europe via the Strait of Hormuz?
    I wouldn't, however the US pretty much caused the problem and keeps throwing oil onto it. If there wasn't the US, don't you worry that we would actually have defense budgets.
    What keeps North Korea from marching into South Korea?
    South Korean army and a terrible economy, in all likelihood.
    What stops China from gobbling up Taiwan or straight up annexing Japanese/Korean territory?
    Other people are watching and said people might embargo them if they started doing shit like that. Also it's hard invading Japan, I hear.
    Who do you think prevented Russia from just going hog-wild all over Europe right after WW2?
    Surely Russia wasn't a superpower and does not defeat your argument.

Yeah, and I guess taxpayers are paying for that education as well and funding your life while you attend
    Yes. Its called an investment.

10+ Year Old Account
    and one day he may very well save your life or the life of someone you love. A worthy price to pay. If of course you believe in the value of life and all that jazz.
    The hammer comes down:

10+ Year Old Account
    I was never taught about the US/Canadian war in school, was it Indians in 1221 or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Untrue. Denmark and Canada regularly board each other's vessels and take down the others flag on the Greenland/Canadian border
    I think we were referring to serious attacks, as in marching into the country and shooting people, not little territorial squabbles.

10+ Year Old Account
    They may not rely on it, but the benefit from it and therefor dont need much defense. Do they even have a Navy?

Quote Originally Posted by Aftonflickan View Post
    I just had non-essential surgery in my chest (a procedure which took around 2 hours of operating) and it left me with a bill of around 15 USD... lol
    So tell me, why does socialized medicine suck again? This procedure would've cost around 6000 dollars if I had funded it privately....
    We should have it here in america. This whole "only the rich can have access the good medicine" is bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was never taught about the US/Canadian war in school, was it Indians in 1221 or something?
    War of 1812. If you're in Canada and didn't hear about it last year, you simply weren't paying attention.