Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It's a public swearing in ceremony, not a celebration. The fact that a lot of people want to be there to see the ceremony isn't the President's fault.

No, they save the celebrations for the $10,000 a pop balls and galas later in the day. So much for that speach about equality and fairness, unless you donated 5 figures to his campaign or inauguration fund, you can spend the afternoon at the free museums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    No, they save the celebrations for the $10,000 a pop balls and galas later in the day. So much for that speach about equality and fairness, unless you donated 5 figures to his campaign or inauguration fund, you can spend the afternoon at the free museums.
    I'm not sure what you're complaining about here.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Inauguration celebrations have little to do with enjoyment for average people, and everything to do with the winning party fawning over and lavishing their wealthy supporters with expensive parties. It's disgusting when Republicans do it, it's disgusting when Democrats do it. Pretty much says "all you poor people can leave now, go enjoy the free museums and then gtfo of our city, the rich people are having their parties now, shoo."

10+ Year Old Account
    C'mon, Reeve. The President can't throw the same kind of inaugural parties as every other President before him. That's just silly.

Inauguration celebrations have little to do with enjoyment for average people, and everything to do with the winning party fawning over and lavishing their wealthy supporters with expensive parties. It's disgusting when Republicans do it, it's disgusting when Democrats do it. Pretty much says "all you poor people can leave now, go enjoy the free museums and then gtfo of our city, the rich people are having their parties now, shoo."
    Yeah, I have no idea what you're complaining about here. I fail to be disgusted by parties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm not sure why that bothers you. The celebrations aren't taxpayer supported, and there's no way you could put all the poor people into the various ballrooms and such anyway. Besides, the museums of Washington D.C. are pretty nice. I'd be pretty happy with those. The "lavish celebrations" are really just expensive working dinners anyway.

On top of that, you really want to say people shouldn't have private parties? Really?

10+ Year Old Account
    Let him have his party. Every president before him did it so why start to complain now? Personally I have no issue with it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    C'mon, Reeve. The President can't throw the same kind of inaugural parties as every other President before him. That's just silly.

Notice how I said it's always been uncalled for. Must have missed that part because your Obama defender mode kicked in.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 07:40 PM ----------

Yeah, I'm not sure why that bothers you. The celebrations aren't taxpayer supported, and there's no way you could put all the poor people into the various ballrooms and such anyway. Besides, the museums of Washington D.C. are pretty nice. I'd be pretty happy with those. The "lavish celebrations" are really just expensive working dinners anyway.

On top of that, you really want to say people shouldn't have private parties? Really?

So, now it's an expensive working dinner, not a party? It's not purely privately funded, otherwise I wouldn't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Notice how I said it's always been uncalled for. Must have missed that part because your Obama defender mode kicked in.
    I'm pretty sure some would condemn Romney for this if he was elected.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    I'm pretty sure some would condemn Romney for this if he was elected.

I certainly would, I didn't care for Clinton's/Bush's second inaugurations, either.

But, it's okay since Obama is doing it. Except, all these same people excusing these parties would be bashing Romney and his billionaire tycoon friends for their million dollar parties.

10+ Year Old Account
    I certainly would, I didn't care for Clinton's/Bush's second inaugurations, either.

But, it's okay since Obama is doing it. Except, all these same people excusing these parties would be bashing Romney and his billionaire tycoon friends for their million dollar parties.
    Not really, no. If people want to have parties, they should have parties. It doesn't affect me.

I complained about Bush getting a second term, but the complaints were about our electorate, not the parties that Bush went to.

Not really, no. If people want to have parties, they should have parties. It doesn't affect me.

I complained about Bush getting a second term, but the complaints were about our electorate, not the parties that Bush went to.
    Sure, but when the government is spending money on these parties, we should be angry. If it was 100% privately funded, then who cares, rich people problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, but when the government is spending money on these parties, we should be angry. If it was 100% privately funded, then who cares, rich people problems.
    I'm doubtful that the government is spending money on the after-inauguration galas and such. Can you show me what you mean?

If you want to be disgusted by rich people throwing money away take a ride around LA or Miami

Must have missed that part because your Obama defender mode kicked in.
    Except, all these same people excusing these parties would be bashing Romney and his billionaire tycoon friends for their million dollar parties.
    You don't see this at all?

I'm doubtful that the government is spending money on the after-inauguration galas and such. Can you show me what you mean?
    The total price tag is still unclear at this point, but Secret Service protection, clean up, sanitation and other municiple functions aren't free. The Secret Service detail alone is probably several million dollars, considering the number of people being protected.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You don't see this at all?

What are you trying to point out?

What are you trying to point out?
    You're sure that people who are fine with this are Obama defenders and they'd jump all over Romney, despite no one giving any indication that this is their position.

10+ Year Old Account
    The total price tag is still unclear at this point, but Secret Service protection, clean up, sanitation and other municiple functions aren't free. The Secret Service detail alone is probably several million dollars, considering the number of people being protected.
    This is a bullshit statistic, since the Secret Service detail is based on the President's needs. That's what they're there for. This is just as dishonest as including the salaries of the Secret Service staff in the cost when working out how much the President's vacation cost.

Those men were going to be paid to do their job regardless of what the President did that night.

You're sure that people who are fine with this are Obama defenders and they'd jump all over Romney, despite no one giving any indication that this is their position.

Yeah, because that could never happen. No one on MMO-C OT forums would ever bash Romney over his wealth and his friends wealth. Right....

10+ Year Old Account
    The facts are, the President's a head of state. Part of that entails stuff like this. Doesn't matter who's in the chair.