Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    What kind of company has online applications with psychological profiles for management?
    Standard fare anymore. It just isn't done up front. You end up doing it to go through the motions and comply with company regulations. This is just done after the fact. The drone positions usually end up needing to pass such compliance tests up front.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    why would someone with a job fill out a job application? seems a bit redundant
    Ever heard of looking for additional work? Or higher-level work? Or changing jobs?

@OP, this is to help them narrow down who they are going to invite to an interview... filling out a 5 minute application is easy, anyone can do it, staying around for an obnoxiously long application? Now that takes dedication.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    If you're talking about a general, low level position, sure. If you're talking about management, initiative pays. Sure you get some who turn you down outright, but in my experience the return rate has been no better or worse than blind online applications.
    Ahh i'll grant you that.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, I am so glad I didn't see this for my job. Is this just for lower/retail jobs?
    Last edited by Codyak; 2013-01-22 at 05:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    They actually do use the answers from the surveys to try to form a "psych profile" to see if you'd be a good employee. Some of the questions are just stupid and some of them are just obvious in what the correct answer should be.

One was hilarious, had questions like:
    1) At your last job, how many times did you steal from your employer?
    a) 0-1 times
    b) 2-4 times
    c) 5-7 times
    d) 8 or more times.

2) at your last job, how many times did you engage in physical violence towards a co-worker?
    a) 0-1 times
    b) 2-4 times
    c) 5-7 times
    d) 8 or more times.
    i hope your not lying on those. since if they find out they can/will fire you for it. also regarding the op as others have said the lengthy applications are to weed out those who don't really want the job/can't or wont fill out a simple application.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-01-22 at 04:09 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

You know what's worse? Spending 2 hours doing 2 applications, just to be told you're over qualified

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i hope your not lying on those. since if they find out they can/will fire you for it.
    By law all your former employers are allowed to tell people regarding your employment are your dates of employment and whether or not you are rehireable. Not that you should go around stealing things and "engaging in physical violence".

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what is even worse? When you finally get through answering all those stupid answers.... they ask you them AGAIN when you show up for a meeting....
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You know what's worse? Spending 2 hours doing 2 applications, just to be told you're over qualified
    Pretty sure getting turned down by a shitty grocery store for a cashier position when you already have experience is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    I can guarantee that you aren't interviewing against geniuses if you're filling out this kind of application. Things are bad, but they're not THAT bad.
    For most places, you will be. The best you can hope for is that the employer feels they're overqualified usually. (UK PoV)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Pretty sure getting turned down by a shitty grocery store for a cashier position when you already have experience is worse.
    No, its being worse being told "you aren't qualified enough."

Really? My lack of work experience means I'm unqualified to bag groceries. Well fuck you Stop and Shop (or whoever it was.)

Seriously, it was some entry level job that anyone with no experience could do and I'm "underqualified" for not having work experience.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    At face value this is horrible advice. While I think the idea of walking a resume in to hand in person is a good idea, to totally ignore an employers preferred method of recruitment is not a good idea. Walking in a resume for a place that only does online hiring MIGHT be a good idea, i'm sure you are likely to find just as many, if not more, people who just trash your resume upon receipt.
    I disagree. I worked for a company worth about a billion dollars (and I am still a significant shareholder) and for management and technical positions I never ever once ever even looked at the online applications even though that was the only way we hired(no paper applications). If you don't take the time to go in, I guarantee there are some places that will never ever look at you. I would also never hire someone that didnt look me in the eye, and come in at LEAST more than once. I've hired guys that make $50-60/hr with only a high school diploma. Some jobs just take pure persistence. From application to my current job it took 5 years, 4 tests, a lie detector, fingerprinting, physical, and an intense background.

Its amazing how good the job market is if you have a STEM (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics) skill, I would write my own check if I were looking for a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by goodwrench View Post
    Its amazing how good the job market is if you have a STEM (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics) skill, I would write my own check if I were looking for a new job.
    Can we shorten this to just SM for the newer generations...? The amount of people with tech experience and degrees and such applying for entry level is ridiculous around here. All I hear about engineering is that it's getting harder and harder to get a related job after graduation. A friend of mine who is on his 2nd year I think is pretty confident that his 'sandwich' course will do him well, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Applications are bullshit. As an employer, talk into my office and tell me why I should hire you. I don't go through any applications, I just throw 'em away.

Quote Originally Posted by goodwrench View Post
    I disagree. I worked for a company worth about a billion dollars (and I am still a significant shareholder) and for management and technical positions I never ever once ever even looked at the online applications even though that was the only way we hired(no paper applications). If you don't take the time to go in, I guarantee there are some places that will never ever look at you. I would also never hire someone that didnt look me in the eye, and come in at LEAST more than once. I've hired guys that make $50-60/hr with only a high school diploma. Some jobs just take pure persistence. From application to my current job it took 5 years, 4 tests, a lie detector, fingerprinting, physical, and an intense background.

i think that is completely different then flooding the job market trying to simply find a job. Apples to oranges if you will.

Side note. I am getting really tired of everyone and their STEM bullshit. STEM this STEM that...STEM or your degree is shit. I have a STEM degree STEM STEM STEM. BLAH.

fine, you are good at math. The type of degree YOU have and OP looking for an entry level job are in no way related. Wait. OP having trouble getting a job? Go get a STEM degree!
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Depends what you are applying for really, as has already been said a lot of the surveys are just mechanisms to ensure they get the right people for the job. If you are failing them you are going for the wrong job for one reason or another (or you are too honest). Make sure at every turn you sound like an enthusiastic worker, who will be loyal to the company. Surveys are harder than you think, companies want different things from their employees. Some might prefer employees with relatively low initiative and will just do whatever is asked of them. Others might be low staffed and need people who can quickly pick up other roles.

Every application therefore should be unique, if you are filling in all your info in 5 minutes you are doing it wrong. Research the company and the position you are applying for, make sure they know that you know what they want.

Personally, I would be doing this anyway, since if more people refused to work for ethically corrupt business, then we should see an overall improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    why would someone with a job fill out a job application? seems a bit redundant

Because you don't like your job and it would be grossly irresponsible to quit without something else lined up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why dont you just send a mail directly too them. Most of the companys have a *to hire people* mails. Those job applications are usualy just a filter so not too many ppl do them and even if you do them they will NOT look at them and just trow them away.
    Its kinda a way too make workers do less so they need less ppl too hire new ppl.

Rule 1:
    Check the site 1000%.
    Look for all the mails.
    If there is a mail too get ppl on site and application too fill dont bother with it.
    Send a CV too the mail of the person.
    If they ask you too send them a application you got their interest. If they wont ansver dont bother filling it.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Side note. I am getting really tired of everyone and their STEM bullshit. STEM this STEM that...STEM or your degree is shit. I have a STEM degree STEM STEM STEM. BLAH.

fine, you are good at math. The type of degree YOU have and OP looking for an entry level job are in no way related. Wait. OP having trouble getting a job? Go get a STEM degree!
    The problem is, the amount of unskilled workforce out there that is looking for work, is WAY high. While, jobs in the STEM category, likely to have slightly less of a competition (can still be rather high though). You can stay as an unskilled worker, and compete against God knows how many of them out there, or you can get some sort of STEM qualification, and lessen your competition by a ton, so it is a valid suggestion really, even though you might not like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think that is completely different then flooding the job market trying to simply find a job. Apples to oranges if you will.

You may be tired of it, but it doesn't make it any less true.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!