Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Game worth $59.99?

I was playing the Demo last night and from a person that has never played any of the earlier Diablo games or any such games, I quite liked the game.

It has its similarities to another all time favourite game of mine, Skyrim as in exploring and dungeoning. I wouldn't really consider exploring to be a big part of it, but I quite like the controls and limited use of spells especially compared to what we have in WoW. I enjoy the dungeoning aspect in Skyrim where you wander across a cave and get to explore it.

However, I still can't seem to rationalise its price for $59.99.

I mean it offers very little replay ability with no incentives other than farming better gear.

So since quitting WoW and waiting for TES:Online, I was looking to pick up a game I could play any time I wanted. I was wondering if Diablo 3 was actually worth the $59.99?

I probably wouldn't think twice if it was for around $39.99 considering that is what most of the WoW expansions sell for. But I find it hard comparing Diablo to say Skyrim when Skyrim offers hours and hours on end of re playability and lets you immerse yourself in the world.

Deleted
    wait a bit, i bet the game will be on sale soon again.
    during the christmas sale the game has been up for 20-25 euro ...

Get torchlight 2
    demo: http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710/ (on the right side there's a get demo, try the demo first)

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    wait a bit, i bet the game will be on sale soon again.
    during the christmas sale the game has been up for 20-25 euro ...
    What makes you think it will goon sale soon?
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    I certainly wouldn't pay full price for it. Torchlight II is A LOT cheaper and offers pretty much the same gameplay with less frustration, but also less polish.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would say it isn't worth paying the $59.99, it's a game that doesnt deserve to have held price since launch. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game to an extent, even picking up the CE for the extra stuff, but it doesn't live up to it's hype by a long way.
    Personally I ended up preffering the Torchlight series.
    Torchlight 1 was pure dungeon crawler - work your way through the many mine floors while leveling up, collecting loot and completing quests.
    Torchlight 2 was more Diablo 3 like - shorter, chapter based gameplay, with more simplified enchanting and such. It also added in up to 4 player multiplayer, if you still like the social side of things.
    Both games should offer what you enjoyed about Diablo 3 demo, with a fraction of the cost. Only thing you may complain about in it would be the more "WoW" like graphics.

Torchlight 2 is good but it is less optimized, it runs like shit on my high end laptop where diablo 3 runs beautifuly
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    I was playing the Demo last night and from a person that has never played any of the earlier Diablo games or any such games, I quite liked the game.

It has its similarities to another all time favourite game of mine, Skyrim as in exploring and dungeoning. I wouldn't really consider exploring to be a big part of it, but I quite like the controls and limited use of spells especially compared to what we have in WoW. I enjoy the dungeoning aspect in Skyrim where you wander across a cave and get to explore it.

However, I still can't seem to rationalise its price for $59.99.

I mean it offers very little replay ability with no incentives other than farming better gear.

So since quitting WoW and waiting for TES:Online, I was looking to pick up a game I could play any time I wanted. I was wondering if Diablo 3 was actually worth the $59.99?

I probably wouldn't think twice if it was for around $39.99 considering that is what most of the WoW expansions sell for. But I find it hard comparing Diablo to say Skyrim when Skyrim offers hours and hours on end of re playability and lets you immerse yourself in the world.
    I have d3 I payed 60$ for it and even tho I got around 200-300hrs in it to me its not worth 60$ at most 30$.

Check out torchlight II you can download a demo of it from there site or on steam if you rather use that.

Torchlight II was made by a few former people who worked on D1/D2+LOD and only cost 20$ it gives u a bit of a WOW feel with its Graphic's and me personally I think it looks better then D3.

I still play D3 a bit but mainly to grind for hellfire rings.

I say check out torchlight II and if you don't like it good chance you won't like D3.

Also as for content and all its no where near the same level as skyrim "without dlc"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/j.../hero/15504689 "My Barbarian"
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    when there's games like torchlight 2 out there for a fraction of the price, I'd say absolutely not, If you can dig the alternative art style (some people can't and thats ok) then there's not many other reasons you would choose diablo over TL2. But like I said, it all depends whether the style appeals to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Torchlight 2 is good but it is less optimized, it runs like shit on my high end laptop where diablo 3 runs beautifuly
    Not to sound like a ass but its your laptop then.

My computer is not the best in the world and I run it at 60fps max settings and even runic said they had it running on single core netbooks.

Edit: Hell I even beta tested it on a single core 2.2ghz with 1gig ram desktop made in 2004.

"Just incase the OP wants to compare his computer to mine to get a idea how well TL2 would run."
    My Computer Spec Is
    Motherboard: Foxconn A74GA
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) II X2 B22 Processor 2.80ghz
    RAM: 6GB DDR3 PC3-10600
    Video Card: Sapphire AMD Radeon 6450 1GB DDR3

Edit: Also to add with D3 you have to be online. With torchlight II you can play offline and once they release there edit kit you will be able to make custom levels and mods.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-01-22 at 04:18 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

I would say PoE is better choice thant TL2 ... and its even cheaper than TL2.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

PoE open beta starts tomorrow as well

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it was worth the price, even though I do not currently play it anymore(waiting for 1.7) I had lots of fun grinding my gear(which isn't that awesome tbh just enough to farm MP5) and it's a great game to play 1-2 hours a day... Torchlight 2 I dunno I couldn't get into it... it bored me to death after 1hour or so lol ... and the skill trees just seem pointless when you can pump every point into passives and roflstomp them mobs....

the gameplay in D3 is so much ahead of any other ARPG out there that it's not even funny and once they add an infinite dungeon the game will be perfect(well almost xD)

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Not to sound like a ass but its your laptop then.

My computer is not the best in the world and I run it at 60fps max settings and even runic said they had it running on single core netbooks.

Edit: Hell I even beta tested it on a single core 2.2ghz with 1gig ram desktop made in 2004.

"Just incase the OP wants to compare his computer to mine to get a idea how well TL2 would run."
    My Computer Spec Is
    Motherboard: Foxconn A74GA
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) II X2 B22 Processor 2.80ghz
    RAM: 6GB DDR3 PC3-10600
    Video Card: Sapphire AMD Radeon 6450 1GB DDR3

Edit: Also to add with D3 you have to be online. With torchlight II you can play offline and once they release there edit kit you will be able to make custom levels and mods.
    no it runs fine its just chops every 10 seconds and it is very distracting and i tried all the settings. However it was a hacked version so I dunno if that is the case.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Hell no.
    /10

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    no it runs fine its just chops every 10 seconds and it is very distracting and i tried all the settings. However it was a hacked version so I dunno if that is the case.
    Could be I got a retail version that runs fine.

"I will edit this next part out if it breaks any rules so please just tell me and not infrac me"

I did have a cracked Walking Dead game that did that everynow and then but i hear retail is fine.

So good chance its just the copy you had.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 04:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    the gameplay in D3 is so much ahead of any other ARPG out there that it's not even funny and once they add an infinite dungeon the game will be perfect(well almost xD)
    Sorry but I disagree with this.

The gameplay is decent but nothing in it makes it stand out.

In TLII you got many ability's you can learn and make interesting builds and then you got that room at the end of TLII you can grind out random dungeons and all. Also the pet system is really neat and saves time on having to go back to town every 10mins.

In PoE you got a massive talent tree that opens up a near endless amount of builds you could come up with. Its gem system is one of the most neat I have seen. You can make a spell work 100's of different ways depending on the gems attached to your gear.

I do not wish to turn this into a debait about D3's gameplay. But to Say its ahead of any other ARPG is not true. Even Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1&2 is ahead of it.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-01-22 at 04:53 PM.

Path of Exile is free, has pvp and depth, the developers are actually working on it and don't take months on content that should have been in the game, the dungeons are actually randomized, its free, its more like diablo 2 than diablo 3 is
    Photo Website: http://www.jeremynative.com Please check out

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Could be I got a retail version that runs fine.

"I will edit this next part out if it breaks any rules so please just tell me and not infrac me"

I did have a cracked Walking Dead game that did that everynow and then but i hear retail is fine.

So good chance its just the copy you had.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 04:47 PM ----------

Sorry but I disagree with this.

The gameplay is decent but nothing in it makes it stand out.

In TLII you got many ability's you can learn and make interesting builds and then you got that room at the end of TLII you can grind out random dungeons and all. Also the pet system is really neat and saves time on having to go back to town every 10mins.

In PoE you got a massive talent tree that opens up a near endless amount of builds you could come up with. Its gem system is one of the most neat I have seen. You can make a spell work 100's of different ways depending on the gem attached to your gear.

I do not wish to turn this into a debait about D3's gameplay. But to Say its ahead of any other ARPG is not true. Even Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1&2 is ahead of it.
    When I said gameplay I mean how the character interacts with the world and the monsters... how smooth it is... and that skill tree in TL2 is just bollocks... like 2 skills are worth it in each tree... I can't say much about PoE though since I haven't played since first beta phase many moons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    When I said gameplay I mean how the character interacts with the world and the monsters... how smooth it is... and that skill tree in TL2 is just bollocks... like 2 skills are worth it in each tree... I can't say much about PoE though since I haven't played since first beta phase many moons ago.
    My point was that D3's gameplay is fair away from being ahead of anything. Its really basic and many others are just as good if not better. even in the ways you stated like about how the character interacts with the world and all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremynative View Post
    Path of Exile is free, has pvp and depth, the developers are actually working on it and don't take months on content that should have been in the game, the dungeons are actually randomized, its free, its more like diablo 2 than diablo 3 is
    Well, if it was released yet, it would be an option for the OP (open beta starts soon though, am I right?).

Torchlight 2 is a pretty good alternative to D3 though. Blizzard just knew about the extreme hype for Diablo and prized it like any other big new game, whereas it offers crappy replay value, as most know. Now, I wouldn't consider it worth buying tbh.