Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

LFR: What's the point?

Seriously, can anyone explain this to me? I used to know the point of it, but I don't anymore. It just seems like a way to waste a couple hours of my life and make a few hundred gold while reading a book. =/

Worry not! they will increase the drop rate in LFR.
    Though it is still pretty boring ...

Deleted
    Last few bosses I just autoattacked and alt-tabbed. I don't want to leech but LFR is so FUCKING boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are no tactics, no fire to stand out of, no one gives a shit about your place on the dps meter and you don't even know anyone in the raid so why would give an epic fuck about it ?! It's just a punching bag with a ridiculous amount of hp.

And I'm a pve-er mostly.

I just leveled a warrior up for my guild's second raid team, trying to get him as geared as possible before raids start. In two weeks of LFR (bear with me here) I've gotten the exact same drops: Nothing but gold bags and one item from Terrace. The exact same item I got last week.

My monk hasn't gotten anything in weeks (possibly months) but gold bags. I try, and follow the mechanics, and do the bosses and actively play. Yet I just get gold.

I seriously don't see a point to it anymore.

As for upping the drop rates, it's only for 5.0 MSV loot...
    Last edited by Nova Swaggins; 2013-01-22 at 08:49 PM.

You're not supposed to be using LFR to gear up for normal raids. :LFR is its own progression path, for those who don't want to bother with the increased difficulty/complexity/social demands of normal mode raids.

As its own progression path, the point of T14 LFR is to gear up for T15 LFR. And since it has to last a good chunk of T14's lifespan, the gearing rate is necessarily slow.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    As its own progression path, the point of T14 LFR is to gear up for T15 LFR. And since it has to last a good chunk of T14's lifespan, the gearing rate is necessarily slow.
    Which is itself useless if it doesn't gear people. But you are correct I suppose.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korza View Post
    I just leveled a warrior up for my guild's second raid team, trying to get him as geared as possible before raids start. In two weeks of LFR (bear with me here) I've gotten the exact same drops: Nothing but gold bags and one item from Terrace. The exact same item I got last week.

My monk hasn't gotten anything in weeks (possibly months) but gold bags. I try, and follow the mechanics, and do the bosses and actively play. Yet I just get gold.

I seriously don't see a point to it anymore.

As for upping the drop rates, it's only for 5.0 MSV loot...
    According to armory you've done each boss of LFR once and you have got a belt from it. Do you expect to be full geared from one run through of LFR ? Your gear levels are fine to start MSV normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, can anyone explain this to me? I used to know the point of it, but I don't anymore. It just seems like a way to waste a couple hours of my life and make a few hundred gold while reading a book. =/
    To see content. Supposedly normal and heroic modes weren't going to be nerfed with the introduction of it but apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

You say you used to know the point of LFR, so what is that? Because you say you don't now. Nothing has changed except the way loot is distributed.

Which is itself useless if it doesn't gear people. But you are correct I suppose.
    And T15 LFR serves to gear people for T16 LFR.

LFR also serves to let people see the raid content, even in attenuated form.

I am interested in seeing how they extend the lifespan of T16 LFR. But then Blizzard has had problems with the last tier of expansions ever since Wrath.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Deleted
    i stopped doing LFR, cause so many people are being afk during it making the encounter so long. beside that every interresting dodge mechanic has been weakend so badly you can ignore them. sure on some fights its a good thing, but on stuff like windsbombs on windlord or breath of fear on sha of fear its just sad.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    LFR is for people like me, my guild does only PvP but they are my RL friends so I don't want to leave the guild. Even if I left the guild, I can't set aside specific times each week to raid, so my options are limited. Pugs don't want someone without Normal mode experience, even if I have 487 ilvl.
    “In order to make apple pie from scratch, you must first make the Universe.” Carl Sagan

IAs for upping the drop rates, it's only for 5.0 MSV loot...
    That's the first time I've seen that claim (that it will only be MSV). Link?

Do you mean it will only be the T14 raids (MSV, HoF, ToES), not T15?

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    According to armory you've done each boss of LFR once and you have got a belt from it. Do you expect to be full geared from one run through of LFR ? Your gear levels are fine to start MSV normal.
    Twice actually. Which is a small amount, but is what I said, and no. I expect to get more than the same belt over and over.

Also I'm not starting MSV normal. I'm starting MSV and HoF heroic... Did you even bother to look at the guild before assuming I'd be doing normals?

LFR allows my main and alts to get powerful gear. This allows my main to advance in LFR progression and actually see this raid content while it's current, and allows my alts to kill virmen on their farms faster.

LFR is for me. I'm rarely free during normal raiding hours and when I am, I might be interrupted. If I'm to see raid content, I need an efficient means to getting in a group, and we have to be done in a predictable period of time. I also can't listen to mouth-breathers on vent, but that is more of a personal preference.

I enjoy it as an alternative to heroics. I don't depend on it for gear, but it does help for guild raids.
    I dunno - I enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    I enjoy it as an alternative to heroics. I don't depend on it for gear, but it does help for guild raids.
    I dunno - I enjoy it.
    I think you're the first person I legitimately believe enjoys LFR. It's nice to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    your luck sucks people,
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Flummer/simple <-- my hunter,
    nearly fully geared, done vault 10 times, HoF 8 times, terrence 5 times, it takes time too get gear.. u wont get everything on first try, some weeks u get 1-2 things some weeks u get nothin, its just how RnG works =P